A favor (OT)

Old August 26th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default A favor (OT)

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:57:15 -0600, MLB wrote:

Joy wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
this is not an age related issues, i am just now 50 and have a heck
of a time remembering beyond country and don't do all that good at
countries,

Lee, centrail Illinois, usa
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
I'd like to ask a favor of posters here. Several times lately,
someone has mentioned their weather. I have a hard time remembering
where people live. When mentioning weather, it would be kind to
those of us who aren't as young as we used to be if you'd give a
clue as to approximately where you live. :-)

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Rand McNalley used to publish a good atlas containing maps of the
USA.
Way back when, Readers Digest published a good Atlas of the World. I
still consult both of these to locate whatever is in the news,
especially if I have forgotten the locations.

Your atlas is probably out of date. I play some geography games, and
the map of Europe, for instance, is far different from the way it was
when I was taught geography in school.

Joy

I am very aware of that. It is far, far different from my school days
too. I think these are from the 1970s which seem like "only yesterday.
Time flies. MLB

Sometimes the changes can be interesting, however. I have a globe,
dating back to the 1930s, that was used by one of my uncles when he was a
high-school student. There are vast areas marked as part of one or
another European empire, which are independent countries today, and also
shows the puppet state of Manchukuo, set up by the Japanese in 1932.
Part of Manchukuo is now in China, and part is now in Mongolia.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly

I have a 1932 atlas.

Joy

Old August 27th 10, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mosey =^..^=[_7_]

We live near Seattle, about 20 miles South and the weather is finally
starting to cool off. That is a real blessing indeed.
It's going to be in the 60's for awhile...yay.
Welcome back Lee, I have missed you SO much.
Love, Kyla

Joy wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
this is not an age related issues, i am just now 50 and have a heck
of a time remembering beyond country and don't do all that good at
countries,

Lee, centrail Illinois, usa
. ..

Old August 27th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Joy wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
this is not an age related issues, i am just now 50 and have a heck
of a time remembering beyond country and don't do all that good at
countries,

Lee, centrail Illinois, usa
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Does anyone remember "Mesopotamia"? MLB
Old August 27th 10, 07:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:

Sometimes the changes can be interesting, however. I have a globe,
dating back to the 1930s, that was used by one of my uncles when he was a
high-school student. There are vast areas marked as part of one or
another European empire, which are independent countries today, and also
shows the puppet state of Manchukuo, set up by the Japanese in 1932.
Part of Manchukuo is now in China, and part is now in Mongolia.

Does anyone remember "Mesopotamia"? MLB

One of the early civilizations, before the Egyptians. I think. History's
not my strong subject.

Also: a B-52's song.

Changes in the borders and names of countries, etc. There's a large,
stained-glass globe on the Christian Science plaza in Boston. It's big
enough for people to walk inside it - they installed a catwalk for people
to walk through and view the map of the world from the inside. The catwalk
cuts through the middle of the globe on the "latitude" of the equator. They
allow 50 people inside at a time. I only went once, but it's wonderful.
And because it was built in 1935, the map represents the world as it was
at that time. Really fascinating. Also, it's an extremely "live" space in
terms of acoustics. Natural reverb!

JOyce

--
Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old August 28th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Happy

Joy wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
this is not an age related issues, i am just now 50 and have a heck
of a time remembering beyond country and don't do all that good at
countries,

Lee, centrail Illinois, usa
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Absolutley!!

Sophia
Old September 18th 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

am very glad to be back, am reading a lot, but posting is taking a back seat
for now, I am too tired and some too emotional also, Lee

Joy wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
this is not an age related issues, i am just now 50 and have a heck
of a time remembering beyond country and don't do all that good at
countries,

Lee, centrail Illinois, usa
. ..