Are cats happy alone?

Old August 5th 05, 07:06 AM
Mimi Yeung

Default Are cats happy alone?

My 1.5 year-old-kitty is now left all alone when her only companion, my
9-year-old doggie was taken to another place for treatment of her terminal
illness. My kitty, for loneliness or for the joy of being able to grab my
full attention, has been following me everything in the apartment. She
would cry at the top of her lung many times every night I come home. When I
am working, she would jump on my desk and lie right before me. While I find
it all very sweet, I start to wonder if she is feeling all too lonely.

Should I get a kitten now so she would have a new playmate? Taking care of
my ailing dog is tiring enough, so even if I should get another cat
eventually, can I do it later after my ailing dog has passed away? Or do
kitties actually enjoy undivided attention from their human partners? What
would be the best for both me and my kitty? I would appreciate any
suggestions from anyone here. Thanks a lot.

Old August 5th 05, 07:09 AM
-L.

Mimi Yeung wrote:
[...]

If your dog is coming back, I would not get a kitten now - it would not
be fair to the dog. If the dog is not coming back, then go ahead and
get a kitten or cat. IMO, cats do *much* better in groups (cat-cat, or
cat-dog, doesn't matter too much).

Good luck, and I hope your dog is feeling better soon.

-L.

Old August 5th 05, 11:12 AM
IBen Getiner

I shall answer the thread topic question with another question... If a
tree falls in the woods and there's no one there to hear it... does it
make a sound?

IBen

Old August 5th 05, 12:06 PM
John Doe

"Mimi Yeung" wrote:

My 1.5 year-old-kitty is now left all alone when her only
companion, my 9-year-old doggie was taken to another place for
treatment of her terminal illness. My kitty, for loneliness or
for the joy of being able to grab my full attention, has been
following me everything in the apartment. She would cry at the
top of her lung many times every night I come home. When I am
working, she would jump on my desk and lie right before me.
While I find it all very sweet, I start to wonder if she is
feeling all too lonely.
Should I get a kitten now so she would have a new playmate?

Get a cat from off of the street or from a shelter. And try to make
sure that if they cannot get along, you can return it.

If they fight, clip the aggressor's claws and put a bell on him or
her. Don't tell me you have declawed them.

Give it a lot of time.

Something else that might help if introduced slowly is to bring
the outside sounds inside by using an infant room monitor
(preferably configured for better sound than the stock receiver
provides).

And of course give her a view of the outside, if possible.

Taking care of
my ailing dog is tiring enough, so even if I should get another
cat eventually, can I do it later after my ailing dog has passed
away? Or do kitties actually enjoy undivided attention from
their human partners?

I think that is perceptive. I would bet on it. But I would try,
with an unwanted animal. I suspect that making sure she is clearly
your number one will help her cope.

Good luck.

Old August 5th 05, 12:22 PM
John Doe

"-L." wrote:

If your dog is coming back, I would not get a kitten now ...
IMO, cats do *much* better in groups (cat-cat, or
cat-dog, doesn't matter too much).

That may be generally true, but my Kiki is an exception. The
introduction of a very gentle male cat about two years ago has at
best done no good for her. I see very little or no friendship
towards him. If she were young, maybe they would at least be able to
play.

His well-being has greatly improved, at least physically.

Old August 5th 05, 12:25 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:06:27 +0800, "Mimi Yeung"
wrote:

[...]

I would get another animal if you have to leave her alone for extended
periods. She is obviously a sociable cat. Get a friendly cat from
the shelter with the understanding you can return it if it doesn't mix
well with your cat.

Or is that outside the acceptable parameters of shelter PC in this
group? I don't know. I would do it that way.

Sorry to hear about your sick dog.

Charlie
Old August 5th 05, 12:57 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On 5 Aug 2005 03:12:26 -0700, "IBen Getiner" wrote:

I shall answer the thread topic question with another question... If a
tree falls in the woods and there's no one there to hear it... does it
make a sound?

You are suffering from the effects of too much right-wing bull****,
Ben. It is a slow poison, like lead or arsenic. First your nuts fall
off, then your dick. Then the gelatinous substances in your brain
start to set up like mortar.

Your case is well advanced, and you are known far and wide as a
nutless, dickless, brain-dead twerp. Fortunately, this ain't rocket
science, and your opinion is no more worthless than anyone else's. So
what do you think, Ben? Should the lady get another cat or what???
Try posting on-topic, just to see if you can.

Charlie
Old August 5th 05, 04:26 PM
Karen

BOy, I think that is tuogh, However, if it doesn't stress your dog out, this
might be the perfect time for a youngster. And, indeed, sometimes, a new
interest can perk an ailing pet up. Purrs for your doggie to be comfortable.
Poor baby.

Old August 5th 05, 04:28 PM
Karen

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Mimi Yeung wrote:
[...]

I agree that is true with cats, but with dogs I've had in the past, getting
a youngster has really brought them around. I thought my old dog was a
goner, and my mom found a puppy. It lent Kim new life and she became MUCH
perkier and lasted 2 or so more years. However, hers was just old age and
not illness, so I do not know if that would make a difference.

Old August 5th 05, 05:27 PM
-L.

Karen wrote:

I agree that is true with cats, but with dogs I've had in the past, getting
a youngster has really brought them around. I thought my old dog was a
goner, and my mom found a puppy. It lent Kim new life and she became MUCH
perkier and lasted 2 or so more years. However, hers was just old age and
not illness, so I do not know if that would make a difference.

I worry about a sick dog accepting a kitten/new cat. Dogs tend to have
more jealously issues - at least IME. Without knowing the dog I owuld
caution against it. When my dog Tosh was in her final weeks she was
pretty intolerant of the other animals. She never got vicious or
anything - just was more irritable toward them and tried to herd them
more. Poor thing.

-L.