YIKES!!!!! Not Your Ususal Monday Morning Before Work

Old October 27th 04, 09:09 PM
O J

bonbon wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
I feel just terrible about all of this. It's certainly not the snakes
fault that it was born a venomous snake, but I could NOT go to work,
leaving Big'Ead there interested in it. I hope I did the right thing,
because I sure feel crappy.(

If you have a neighbor, you can't be too far out in the boonies. You
did the right thing! What if it had been a child instead of that
tomcat? I have no doubt that had you seen that snake out in the wild,
you would have left him to his own devices, so don't feel bad about
this one.

Just a note, you might want to consider getting a small box of .22
shot shells and keeping one in the first chamber.

Old October 27th 04, 10:06 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:25:53 -0500, Jeanne Hedge

And then you watch that Crocodile Hunter guy on TV

I am waiting for a croc to take a great big bite out of that guy's
butt. If you were a croc, and you saw legs like that guy's running
around in short shorts, what would you think? I would think "Dinner
*and* leftovers."

Theresa

Old October 27th 04, 10:10 PM
Margaret Fine

Christina Websell wrote:

"bonbon" wrote in message
big snip
, over by the garage door, and with the

pistol in my right, reluctantly, and nervously shot the snake. (I've
never shot a critter in my life, nor would I normally) The first
shot found it's target, but it didn't instantly kill the snake, so I
shot it again. Then had a neighbor come over and put it into the bed
of the truck.

I feel just terrible about all of this. It's certainly not the snakes
fault that it was born a venomous snake, but I could NOT go to work,
leaving Big'Ead there interested in it. I hope I did the right thing,
because I sure feel crappy.(

-bonbon

You did the right thing. I once had to do something I felt really bad about
myself.
I'd tried everything, traps etc, to control the rats under the poultry
sheds, and reluctantly had to use poison as the rats were eating through any
woodwork they could find, and eating chicks.
So - I laid poison down - and it wasn't many days before I went down to shut
up my chickens and heard a sort of wailing noise. It was four baby rats
coming out from under the huts - hungry of course, because I'd obviously
killed their mother, and their eyes weren't even open.

I felt *so* bad about it. I brought them up to the house in a big flower
pot and was all set to hand rear them. (Don't ask me why, guilt, I suppose.)
I had a friend there at the time and she looked in the flower pot. "What
are they??" - "Young rats, I think I killed their mother"
"So?"
"Well, they'll die without their mother, they'll starve."
"So? and don't even think about trying to rear vermin."

I thought about it, and reluctantly had to agree that she was right. I had
to think what to do with them. I could have put the flower pot in the field
behind my house and tried to forget about them as they starved to death. I
just couldn't do that.
This is awful, and don't read any further if you're very sensitive. (back to
top)

I did a dreadful thing. I took each young rat by the tail, stunned it by
hitting its head on a brick, and dropped it into water to drown while it was
unconscious. They were very small, their eyes weren't open even.
I still remember it, and it sort of makes me ashamed. I didn't know what
else to do. Was I wrong?

Tweed

My personal opinion is that you were humane. Much better to dispatch
them quickly then to let them starve.

A friend told me that the "proper" way to euthanize something like that
is to soak a rag in turpentine or paint thiner and then put the animal
in a bag with the rag. The paint thinner supposedly makes them feel
"high" and kills them pretty quickly. I don't know about the mechanism
but it might be easier on you if you ever have to do it again.

--
Margaret Fine

Old October 27th 04, 10:18 PM

bonbon wrote:

...there, inches away from us was a full grown, adult Water
Moccasin aka Cotton Mouth Snake, poised and ready to strike...

[snip]

Tough decision, but you did the right thing. I would have felt
terrible about it, too, but you had to defend Big'Ead, and yourself,
too - you could have been bitten as well! The kitty obviously had
no idea what he was getting himself into. (Aren't all small animals
supposed to be *afraid* of snakes??)

It's great that you were prepared to deal with the snake.

Joyce