Donations to Animal Shelters

Old September 20th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Shelters Turning Down Donations (WAS: Donations to Animal Shelters)

jmcquown wrote:

I'm not giving used sheets to the Salvation Army. That would be
rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of course they've been washed).

????

What is rude about giving clean sheets to the salvation army? That's
pretty much what they get - used stuff. They certainly don't expect you
to buy new ones to give them!

Joyce

--
The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
Old September 20th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Kajikit" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:36:02 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Sep 17, 8:08 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Yesterday I finally emptied the linen closet. I know I talked about
doing
this earlier in the year but I never could actually bring myself to
do it.
The Beaufort County Animal Shelter says they need donations of
blankets,
towels and washcloths. I've got a whole pile of them to donate.

(snipped self)
Jill

That's a great thing to do. Especially with winter coming on. Usually
the
dog kennels have a concrete floor, and it must get so cold.

Sherry

I called the shelter to find out exactly where they are located. I
mentioned to the woman who answered the phone I also have a lot of
flannel
sheets. (I can't sleep on flannel sheets, they are too darn hot even
with
the A/C and a fan running.) The woman told me they wouldn't take
flannel
sheets! She said the dogs would rip them up too easily. What do they
care?
They're FREE, aren't they?! I don't understand the mentality, turning
down
donations. Who cares if the dogs rip up free sheets? I'm sure the
kitties
would love them. I don't get it.

Jill

Dog rips up flannel sheet, eats the bits, and they have a thousand
dollar vet bill to deal with for having the bits removed from its
intestinal tract. If you want to do something with the flannel sheets
make them into kitty pillows...
--

Okay, I can understand the vet bills if the dogs eat the sheets. That
could cause problems but the woman never said anything about them eating

I'm certainly not going to make them into pillows. I haven't sewn
anything in 30+ years and even then I wasn't any good at it. LOL
Besides, I don't have a sewing machine. Why can't they just put the
sheets in the kitty cages?! Or are they afraid of the same thing?

I hate to just throw them away. I'm not giving used sheets to the
Salvation Army. That would be rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of
course they've been washed).

Jill

I'd rethink that if they are flannel sheets. I'm sure the homeless that
are camped in the river bottoms around here would love some flannel
sheets and used wouldn't matter. They would replace something far more
used and worn out or just plain dirty.

Jo

That's a wonderful idea, or the local battered womens shelter.

I have been given the impression that our charities laundered things
before distributing to those who need the things. I was told the only
restriction was underwear. (Correct me if this is not true). MLB

I was aware of that as well. Hmmmm.
Kyla

Old September 20th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

bastXXXette
jmcquown wrote:

I'm not giving used sheets to the Salvation Army. That would be
rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of course they've been washed).

????

What is rude about giving clean sheets to the salvation army? That's
pretty much what they get - used stuff. They certainly don't expect you
to buy new ones to give them!

Joyce

Yeah, what's up with that.??
Kyla

Old September 21st 09, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sep 20, 12:30 pm, Cheryl wrote:

Locally, the Salvation Army is noted for accepting *anything* as a
donation.

My mum used to work as a volunteer in a shop supporting the local
hospice. They weren't allowed to sell underwear even if it was clean
or for that matter still in the packet but that and any clothing too
dirty/with too many holes went into a bin liner and a local dealer
used to pay so much for a bag which would then be sold on to be
recycled. They also weren't allowed to sell toiletries unless the box
was unopened. The staff used to take these home after putting
something in for them. My mum used some incredibly good and/or
expensive perfumes as air freshener in the toilet

Oh, I suspect even the local branch of the Salvation Army has similar
practices. I think that the time and energy needed to sort out and discard
the really useless junk must be a burden to them. I don't know if they
sell really ragged things for rags; a lot of recycling like that doesn't
work here because we're too far from a business that can use the rags on a
commercial scale. It would cost more to ship the rags out than they're
worth.

They definitely don't consider good but used sheets to be unsalable,
though. I haven't seen any toiletries there, or underpants. They might
sell bras (I can't remember) and they certainly sell slips and
nightclothes. They sell cheap but new mattresses, so I don't think they
re-sell mattresses, but they do sell upholstered furniture, which you'd
think might have similar problems as mattresses.

But they'll accept anything at the counter or in the bin and sort it out
later, unlike some other charities.

Cheryl

I guess I'll ask the SA about the sheets. There's nothing wrong with them,
I just can't use them. I certainly have sorted through my parents' clothing
and gotten rid of anything stained or torn. I'm not going to ask the folks
at the Salvation Army to do that. I'm still getting things together so they
can do one big pick-up. Kitchen items, older luggage, things like that are
in the garage. When John gets here we'll bag up the clothing, then I'll
have them send the truck to get everything.

Jill

Old September 21st 09, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

I'm not giving used sheets to the Salvation Army. That would be
rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of course they've been washed).

????

What is rude about giving clean sheets to the salvation army? That's
pretty much what they get - used stuff. They certainly don't expect you
to buy new ones to give them!

Joyce

I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I was under the impression
(probably mistakenly) that used bedcloths were a no-no, like used underwear.
I'll ask them before they come to pick up all the other things I'm amassing
for them.

Jill

Old September 21st 09, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"jmcquown" wrote in message
wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

I'm not giving used sheets to the Salvation Army. That would be
rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of course they've been
washed).

????

What is rude about giving clean sheets to the salvation army? That's
pretty much what they get - used stuff. They certainly don't expect you
to buy new ones to give them!

Joyce

I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I was under the impression
(probably mistakenly) that used bedcloths were a no-no, like used
underwear. I'll ask them before they come to pick up all the other
things I'm amassing for them.

Jill

Here in Indiana, thrift stores sell used bedding - usually donated by
hospitals/nursing homes... I buy them to use for the frost-mornings in
the garden(s). The sizes are NEVER marked, and 99% of them are flat
sheets, and most of them are all the same color (either white or pale
blue).

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old September 21st 09, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

jmcquown wrote:

I guess I'll ask the SA about the sheets. There's nothing wrong with
them, I just can't use them. I certainly have sorted through my
parents' clothing and gotten rid of anything stained or torn. I'm not
going to ask the folks at the Salvation Army to do that. I'm still
getting things together so they can do one big pick-up. Kitchen items,
older luggage, things like that are in the garage. When John gets here
we'll bag up the clothing, then I'll have them send the truck to get
everything.

That's an efficient way to do it. Not everyone throws out stained or
torn stuff; when I'm trying to be kind, I think it's partly sentiment -
the item has good memories for the donor who thinks someone else won't
mind the minor problems with it! But sometimes the charity shop workers
just have to throw it out anyway. They don't always. I once asked at a
charity shop if they took broken radios - I was going to throw mine
out. They said they did; they had a volunteer who liked fixing
electronics! But otherwise, I try not to give away real garbage.

It's astonishing how much work is involved in clearing out and
re-organized a house - a year or so ago I and my sister helped my mother
move. We're talking apartments, not a full house, but the old apartment
was full of stuff she'd moved from her last house, stuff she was
unwilling to get rid of at that time, but didn't have room for and
didn't want to ship to the new place. It took ages to clear that
apartment. I saw a 'Dexter' episode on DVD (ie an early one) recently in
which two couples cleared an entire house in a weekend. I simply didn't
believe it. You can't do that. Just scheduling pickups and organizing
the material for them, like you're doing, takes ages! The only way a
house can be cleared that fast is if you hire professionals who shift
everything to a warehouse where they go sort it for sale/donation/garbage.

--
Cheryl
Old September 21st 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

MatSav wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
I have been given the impression that our charities laundered
things before distributing to those who need the things...

Indeed. I read a story somewhere [maybe even here!] about someone
who regularly donated their 'old' clothes to a local thrift shop.
The shop would then have the clothes laundered before putting
them out for re-sale - at which point the donator would buy them
back. It seems this was cheaper method of getting the clothe
laundered!

They don't all was clothes, a couple of years ago I was looking at trousers
in the cancer charity shop and found £15 in the back pocket. The trousers
were marked £3, I could have bought them and made a profit but that would
have been steeling from a charity, the ladies behind the counter were quite
surprised when I told them.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 21st 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Adrian wrote:
MatSav wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
I have been given the impression that our charities laundered
things before distributing to those who need the things...

Indeed. I read a story somewhere [maybe even here!] about someone
who regularly donated their 'old' clothes to a local thrift shop.
The shop would then have the clothes laundered before putting
them out for re-sale - at which point the donator would buy them
back. It seems this was cheaper method of getting the clothe
laundered!

They don't all was clothes, a couple of years ago I was looking at trousers
in the cancer charity shop and found £15 in the back pocket. The trousers
were marked £3, I could have bought them and made a profit but that would
have been steeling from a charity, the ladies behind the counter were quite
surprised when I told them.

There's a for-profit secondhand shop in my city that has posted a news
article about someone who found a valuable piece of jewelry in the
pocket of one of her purchases. It didn't say she gave the jewelry to
the shop (which wasn't a charity in any case); in fact the implication
was that if you shop there, you might find extra goodies in your purchase!

Didn't work for me, though.

--
Cheryl
Old September 21st 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

I lived 12 years (well, most of the last two I was here in my mom's house)
in my apartment and 5 years in the one before that. I had to move out
*fast* from the prior apartment (I wasn't about to renew my lease when I
kept hearing gunshots and having to call 911! That place went downhill so
fast I couldn't believe my eyes). I didn't really have a chance to get rid
of a lot of things before moving out. I gave a few things to some neighbors
but most of it went with me to the new apartment. And sat there in boxes in
the 2nd bedroom for 12 years. LOL

It took John and I almost *two weeks* to get rid of all the things I didn't
want to move here. There's no way we could have done it all in two days!

My oldest brother had picked up the furniture and other items my siblings
wanted from Mom's house. But I was still moving into a pretty much
furnished house. You can imagine how much I still have to donate. I
already had a nice bagless vacuum cleaner. My mother had three vacuum
cleaners... why, I don't know. I had two sets of dishes; I gave one set
away before I moved here. My mother had four sets of dishes. Things like
that have been driving me up the wall! LOL

No, I'm not going to ask the folks at the SA to sort through ragged or
stained clothing. I culled all of that. The clothes are clean. They may
launder them again, it's probably policy. I'm not giving away rags. And I
WILL ask about about the sheets

Jill