Cat Idiosyncrasies

Old August 6th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Cat Idiosyncrasies

"Shiral" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 6:24 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Shiral" wrote in message

On Aug 4, 7:17 pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

OK, your turn!!! ;

Nose Twitches,

CatNipped

I had to think about this.

Scarlett still waits until all water bowl sources are cleaned and
refilled
then she has to swim in it and make it Scarlett flavored.

Shamrock has to make every room I'm in Bonnie-free

Rhett has to own the humidifier in the winter to the point where I think
it
needs to be in a cage to be leak-free; other months he harasses
Shamrock,
probably because Shamrock hates his GF Bonnie

Bonnie still has her squeaky mousy toy obsession though she's killed
most
of
them and they don't make noise any more.

This is a great thread!

Francesca is very affectionate as long as it's HER idea. She's very
agile at getting away if I try to pick her up unless I pounce quickly
enough. She'll tolerate being held, but gives me this look of "If you
don't put me down in about three seconds, things will get ugly" look.
And usually it's when I'm watching TV in the comfy chair. She jumps
into my lap to say hello, and when I obligingly give her strokes and
ear scritches, she drools to indicate what a good time she's having.
She's also the computer supervisor. And yes, she likes to sit on the
mouse, severely hampering my ability to move it around freely. She's
sort of mellow about having her claws clipped, by which I mean she
doesn't scream her head off, although she does try to pull her paw out
of my hold. But she HATES the zoom groom. I swear she bends her body
like a little furry pretzel to avoid letting it touching her. She
gets fits of housekeeping lust in which her inner Martha Stewart
informs her that towels hanging tidily from towel rods is SO last
century. The proper place for towels is obviously on the counter or
preferably the floor. Many cats bury their waste, but Francesca is
incredibly serius about this. I sometimes think she'd like to dig her
way down to Artesian water level to get her droppings properly
covered. On chilly nights she likes to make me hold up the covers
while she considers if she'd like to get under them to keep warm.
She's the bolder of the two cats, and once she's over her initial
shyness, she'll come out and say hello whenever I have company.

Nina is a love sponge, she just soaks it up. She too, will come visit
me in the comfy chair while I'm watching TV, but if I give her
scritches and cuddles, she won't let me watch the program. If I stop
paying enough attention to her, she'll stick her little face in mine
and use her claws while kneading to tell me she wants MORE attention.
Oddly, when I do stop, she'll settle enough to curl up in my lap and
go to sleep. Every night, she chases her poor mother all over the
apartment after lights out for about 15 minutes, then she comes and
lies down on the bed between my knees where she spends the night.
Oddly, she's the shy one. Visitors at my door or the vacuum cleaner
send her running to safety under the comforter on my bed where she
makes a Nina-sized hill, convinced that if she can't see you, you
can't see her. She's the local laundry fetishist, as she loves to
roll ecstactically on my clean laundry when I bring it back all warm
from the dryer. I suppose it must be thoroughly checked to make sure
there are no laundry greeblings embedded in it. Her favorite laundry
toys are my briefs and socks. Next to clean warm clothes, her
favorite things are drinking straws. She's got a kind of Dominatrix
attitude about them. I have a collection of the best-disciplined,
chewed up straws you'll ever find. She trots around with them in her
mouth, plops down on the rug and gnaws and bunny kicks Mr. Straw into
submission for a few seconds, then gets up, and carries the straw into
the next room to repeat the whole procedure. Paper towels standing
still on the kitchen counter are okay. BUt let me put them onto the
designated paper towel holder and I'm asking for trouble. All the
paper towel greeblings come out and start mocking NIna, necessitating
the rapid unrolling of the whole roll so she can get at them and teach
them a lesson.

Both girls are crazy for fishing pole toys. They are both also adept
at messing up whatever pictures I'm trying to take of them while
playing with them.

Melissa

I remember when you found Francesca (under / next to a shed?) and then
finding out she was pregnant. It seems like yesterday, but I know it has
have been a while now. How old is Nina?

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Ummm, no. I adopted her from the Santa Clara Humane Society. She had
a cold that made it unsafe for her to be anesthetized for spaying. The
HS agreed she'd get well better isolated from other cats, so I agreed
to bringg her back when she was well. It took her three weeks to get
well, which saved Nina's little life. Francesca is now about four and
a half and Nina is now just past her fourth birthday.

Melissa

Hmmmm! I remember, right around the same time, I think, someone taking in a
pregnant stray, but now that I'm thinking about it, it was a boy kitten (and
he had an unusual name for a cat - started with an "F" I think). Now I'm
curious who that was. I think that the new slave was currently lacking a
master, the new meowmy was shy but her son was a lap cat. Anybody remember
who that was? (I'm usually good at remembering masters if not their
slaves!)

Anyway, sorry for the mistake!

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Hmmmm! I remember, right around the same time, I think, someone taking in
a pregnant stray, but now that I'm thinking about it, it was a boy kitten
(and he had an unusual name for a cat - started with an "F" I think). Now
I'm curious who that was. I think that the new slave was currently
lacking a master, the new meowmy was shy but her son was a lap cat.
Anybody remember who that was? (I'm usually good at remembering masters
if not their slaves!)

Anyway, sorry for the mistake!

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Was the baby boy's name Buford? (I'm going to worry this until I remember
what I was thinking of ;)

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I've been thinking about this and finally gotten around to starting
a thread about it. Each one of my cats has some idiosyncrasy. I'm
sure every cat does, so I'll start and then would like to read about
other master's little quirks.

Jake. Just the usual. Likes to sleep on the arm of the sofa with one
paw hanging over, trying to snag the dog if she walks too close. And
in the winter will sleep with his paws in my hand or in my hair.

Molly. Only outside, she is turning into a real love bug. If I'm
sitting out back throwing for Kayla or just reading, pretty soon Molly
will come trotting up. She will rub against my ankles or the leg of
the lawn swing. Can't get enough brushing or scritching. Weaves back
and forth between my feet. Rolls on her back for tummy rubs. And
often all this while Kayla is playing a solid game of fetch. Inside,
she acts like she barely knows me.

Jo

Old August 6th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I've been thinking about this and finally gotten around to starting a
thread about it. Each one of my cats has some idiosyncrasy. I'm sure
every cat does, so I'll start and then would like to read about other
master's little quirks.

Jake. Just the usual. Likes to sleep on the arm of the sofa with one paw
hanging over, trying to snag the dog if she walks too close. And in the
winter will sleep with his paws in my hand or in my hair.

LOL! Trawling for puppy-dawg!

Molly. Only outside, she is turning into a real love bug. If I'm sitting
out back throwing for Kayla or just reading, pretty soon Molly will come
trotting up. She will rub against my ankles or the leg of the lawn swing.
Can't get enough brushing or scritching. Weaves back and forth between my
feet. Rolls on her back for tummy rubs. And often all this while Kayla
is playing a solid game of fetch. Inside, she acts like she barely knows
me.

Now that one is strange! I wonder what the difference is to her.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Jo

Old August 6th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Shiral wrote:

On Aug 6, 6:24?am, "CatNipped" wrote:

I remember when you found Francesca (under / next to a shed?) and
then finding out she was pregnant. ?It seems like yesterday, but I
know it has to have been a while now. How old is Nina?

Ummm, no. I adopted her from the Santa Clara Humane Society.

You know, I've also always had a vague memory of you finding Francesca
under a tree in your yard or something like that. I seem to remember a
story where it took you a while to catch her. It wasn't until I saw
your entry on Mark's census page that I found out you'd adopted her in
a more traditional way. So, why are we confused about this?

She had
a cold that made it unsafe for her to be anesthetized for spaying. The
HS agreed she'd get well better isolated from other cats, so I agreed
to bringg her back when she was well. It took her three weeks to get
well, which saved Nina's little life.

Wow, that was certainly lucky for Nina! Sometimes bad luck is really
good luck.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 7th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Aug 6, 2:23*pm, wrote:
Shiral wrote:

[...]

And for me, too, since I got a free kitty who is a beautiful little
love sponge and purr engine. =o) I can only conclude "it was meant to
be."

As to the confusion, I'm confused, too. I do think I remember a
story about a shy mother kitty with a bold kitten, but can't remember
who posted about them.

Melissa
Old August 7th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Hmmmm! I remember, right around the same time, I think, someone taking in
a pregnant stray, but now that I'm thinking about it, it was a boy kitten
(and he had an unusual name for a cat - started with an "F" I think). Now
I'm curious who that was. I think that the new slave was currently
lacking a master, the new meowmy was shy but her son was a lap cat.
Anybody remember who that was? (I'm usually good at remembering masters
if not their slaves!)

Anyway, sorry for the mistake!

Chin Skritches,

Mom was Lula and son was Hubert. She posted about Booping Da Hube.

Pam S. who can't remember the human's name. I'm so blond today.

Old August 7th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Hmmmm! I remember, right around the same time, I think, someone taking
in a pregnant stray, but now that I'm thinking about it, it was a boy
kitten (and he had an unusual name for a cat - started with an "F" I
think). Now I'm curious who that was. I think that the new slave was
currently lacking a master, the new meowmy was shy but her son was a lap
cat. Anybody remember who that was? (I'm usually good at remembering
masters if not their slaves!)

Anyway, sorry for the mistake!

Chin Skritches,

Mom was Lula and son was Hubert. She posted about Booping Da Hube.

Pam S. who can't remember the human's name. I'm so blond today.

Thank you!!! It was driving me crazy (I don't know why I kept thinking
"Bouncing Buford" - not-so-early senility I guess)!

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 9th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

tanadashoes wrote:

Mom was Lula and son was Hubert. She posted about Booping Da Hube.

Pam S. who can't remember the human's name. I'm so blond today.

That was Krista. I miss her. Last I heard from her, she had adopted some
more strays. Might drop her a line later.

Old August 9th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

CatNipped wrote:

OK, your turn!!! ;

Miranda rolls around in the shower stall, and I have to watch her doing
it. It's no good if Meowmie isn't watching. She comes to get me,
sometimes very urgently, screaming at me and clawing my knee to get me
to follow her to the bathroom, and then she goes to roll around in the
shower stall. She often needs to do a roll before she can eat a mouthful
of her food. My evenings are usually spent following her into the
bathroom, watching her roll, then going to her food place and taking her
dish off the top of the fridge (where it's safe from Caliban), watching
her eat a mouthful (while fending off Caliban), then putting it back on
the fridge when she's finished. Five minutes later, repeat. Ten minutes
later, repeat.

Caliban presses his nose against anything that he wants to smell. Not
like other cats, who put their noses a few millimetres away from the
thing they want to smell, no he presses his nose against it. This was
endearing the first time I met him, and he slowly went up my arm,
pressing his nose against my skin in little kisses, and then continued
with little kisses along my face. But it can be very disconcerting for
other cats when he is smelling their bottoms. :P