male kitten adoption question.

Old March 13th 04, 06:25 PM
frigamia

Default male kitten adoption question.

Hello there,

One of my friend would like to eventually adopt one of my kittens when they
are ready to go to new homes (8-12 weeks, right?). She already has a male
cat (neutered) that is almost 2 years old, and 2 females (spayed). If she
adopts one of my male kittens, (that she will have neutered too) will she
end up with territorial problems between the males? Will they spray more?
Can other problems occur? Should she adopt a female instead?

Thank you,
Mia, Misha and the bunch

Old March 13th 04, 06:44 PM
Sherry

Hello there,

One of my friend would like to eventually adopt one of my kittens when they
are ready to go to new homes (8-12 weeks, right?). She already has a male
cat (neutered) that is almost 2 years old, and 2 females (spayed). If she
adopts one of my male kittens, (that she will have neutered too) will she
end up with territorial problems between the males? Will they spray more?
Can other problems occur? Should she adopt a female instead?

Thank you,
Mia, Misha and the bunch

It depends on a couple of things, IMO. The specific personality of the resident
cats, and how careful and slow she introduces New Kitten. My boys are very
accepting of interlopers. Bootsie's not, but it never goes beyond hissing and
swatting. It takes her at least a month to accept the newbies. Mine never have
sprayed over a new cat.

Sherry

Old March 14th 04, 04:05 AM
Gail

Adopting a kitten is much less threatening to other cats in the household.
My guess is that it will not create a problem. She must make sure to neuter
him as soon as medically appropriate.
Gail
.. .

Old March 14th 04, 04:21 AM
IBen Getiner

"frigamia" wrote in message ...
Hello there,

One of my friend would like to eventually adopt one of my kittens when they
are ready to go to new homes (8-12 weeks, right?). She already has a male
cat (neutered) that is almost 2 years old, and 2 females (spayed). If she
adopts one of my male kittens, (that she will have neutered too) will she
end up with territorial problems between the males? Will they spray more?
Can other problems occur? Should she adopt a female instead?

Thank you,
Mia, Misha and the bunch

Why would you neuter or spay a cat that you were going to keep in your
home? Do you think that the two ideas are inseparable? You aren't
necessarily required to do one with the other, you know..

IBen G.

Old March 14th 04, 04:46 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"frigamia" wrote in message
.. .
Hello there,

One of my friend would like to eventually adopt one of my kittens when

they
are ready to go to new homes (8-12 weeks, right?). She already has a male
cat (neutered) that is almost 2 years old, and 2 females (spayed). If she
adopts one of my male kittens, (that she will have neutered too) will she
end up with territorial problems between the males? Will they spray more?
Can other problems occur? Should she adopt a female instead?

Thank you,
Mia, Misha and the bunch

IME, it's not the gender(s) (albeit neutered) of the cats that really
count(s) when assimilating a new cat into a household, but rather the
personalities of the individual cats involved.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old March 14th 04, 04:58 AM
frigamia

I am not sure I understand what you mean.
What I want to know is ... Does it cause trouble to have two males in one
household.

Mia

"IBen Getiner" wrote in message
om...