Wet & Dry Food

Old July 31st 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default Wet & Dry Food

A little over a month ago, I started giving my beloved main coon,
Hobbes, some wet food along with his TD dry food. I've been giving
him half a can in the morning and half a can in the evening with dry
food in between. Physically he looks great! His coat is shiny,
alert, eyes are clear, and he's not throwing up anymore.

The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. I'm sure it's
this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
had him. Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.

Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? I'm ignoring him
but it's so hard!! You know how cute they can be.
Old July 31st 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
LauraM wrote:
A little over a month ago, I started giving my beloved main coon,
Hobbes, some wet food along with his TD dry food. I've been giving
him half a can in the morning and half a can in the evening with dry
food in between. Physically he looks great! His coat is shiny,
alert, eyes are clear, and he's not throwing up anymore.

The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. I'm sure it's
this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
had him. Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.

Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? I'm ignoring him
but it's so hard!! You know how cute they can be.

I've tried to switch Bubba the Maine Coon to wet food. He'll eat
most kinds except the kind with the little squares in it. Of course,
at 25 lbs he'll eat most anything. :^). He plays the same act until
I put out some kibble. When I got him he had a problem of gobbling
the kibble that the shelter gave me with him and puking it back up.
It's as if he thought it would be his last meal or something. I
switched him to Royal Canin Maine Coon formula and he's been good
on that for a couple of years now. I can't free feed him, because
he'll eat up whatever amount I put out for him. I tried that at
first and he fattened up a bit too much. I discovered through
trial & error a good ration for him and he's now a relatively
lean 25 and doesn't beg for cat food. When *I'm* eating he demands
a taste, of course. I usually give up a small bit depending on what
I'm eating but not too much. It's my fault I spoiled him for people
chow, but it's tough to ignore a cute little 25 Lb cat sitting on
one's feet, begging, at dinner time. :^)

He's good about drinking water on his own so I don't worry too much
about him staying hydrated.

Anyway, since he'd eat the wet food as an appetizer and then
whine for kibble I figured, why bother? It seemed as if it was
only making him fatter.
Old July 31st 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. He gets mostly canned (Wellness
chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. He will eat all
that I put down so I don't put down much. He and Amber split a can at
breakfast and dinner.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 31st 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. *I'm sure it's
this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
had him. *Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.

Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? *I'm ignoring him
but it's so hard!! *You know how cute they can be. *

IME it's usually the dry food that doesn't fill them up. You could dry
adding some water to the canned food to trick him into thinking he's
getting more. I did this when one of mine was on a diet and it really
helped. What kind of canned is it BTW?
Old July 31st 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Jul 31, 10:32*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. *He gets mostly canned (Wellness
chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. *He will eat all
that I put down so I don't put down much. *He and Amber split a can at
breakfast and dinner.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)
Old July 31st 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"LauraM" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 10:32 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. He gets mostly canned (Wellness
chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. He will eat all
that I put down so I don't put down much. He and Amber split a can at
breakfast and dinner.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)

Add me too - Sammy is 20+ pounds and waits by her bowl impatiently while I
open the cans and add their medicine.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 31st 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:

=============================================== ==

Add me too - Sammy is 20+ pounds and waits by her bowl impatiently while I
open the cans and add their medicine.

20 pounds is *huge* for a girly cat...

Old July 31st 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
In article ,
CatNipped wrote:

================================================ =

Add me too - Sammy is 20+ pounds and waits by her bowl impatiently while I
open the cans and add their medicine.

20 pounds is *huge* for a girly cat...

Yep, but like Bubba it's mostly muscle (that gal is *strong* - it's
impossible to hold her still for anything she strenuously objects to). The
funny thing is that if you just look at her by herself, she doesn't look all
that big - she is so well proportioned. But when you see her next to
another, "normal" sized cat, it's jarring to say the least! ;

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnip...7/100_0086.jpg (Sammy and
Jessie squirrel watching).

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnip...1/DCP_2560.jpg (lying next to
Bandit (RB) who was also of Maine Coon heritage, but was not as big as
Sammy).

Hugs,

CatNipped