Cat Idiosyncrasies

Old August 5th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Cat Idiosyncrasies

I've been thinking about this and finally gotten around to starting a thread
about it. Each one of my cats has some idiosyncrasy. I'm sure every cat
does, so I'll start and then would like to read about other master's little
quirks.

Demi - you guys already know hers, she's a 'fraidy-cat, living on the edge
of the clowder, running for her life when anyone walks near her. *But* if
anyone in the house is eating chicken, she'll jump up right next to them and
stare until she's given her "chicken toll". Chicken trumps fear every time.

Jessie - she has a little stuffed dog that she carries around meowing
loudly, every single day, sometimes several times a day. I think it's the
behavior of a mother cat bringing home prey. She also likes flake fish
food - it's like kitty potato chips to her, she can't get enough (too bad
it's so expensive).

Sammy - gawd, where do I begin??! First, most of you know, at 4.5 years old
she *still* sucks her toe. She follows me around like a puppy dog (she
won't jump on my lap, but she's *always* in the same room as me or waiting
on the other side of a closed door). She *hates* having her claws clipped
or brushing - my arms and hands are in shreds after any grooming session.

Archer - he is our "nerd" cat. No matter what you're doing, he has to be
the center of attention. If you're playing with another cat, he'll push
them out of the way so he can get the toy. He never "gets" that the other
cats don't love him to pieces - he's blissfully unaware that they may be
wishing he would go away. His favorite toy is a denuded feather stick
(which has no feathers left, just a couple of bright tinsel streamers). No
matter where he is in the house, if you swish the stick he'll hear it and
come running. He will chase that thing until he is totally out of breath
(we have to be careful not to play with him too long with it). When he
first came here he was quarantined in a bedroom with his bro-fur. In that
bedroom was a stuffed green frog. He thinks that green frog is his
meow-my - to this day he snuggles up to froggie to nap (I put froggie on his
favorite chair in the living room so he could be with the family and still
snuggle with his meow-my).

Ozzy - has a foot fetish!!! Seriously!!!!! He very infrequently jumps up
next to me for good pettins. But if you say, "Ozzy want da footses?" he'll
break his neck running from the far end of the house to be "petted" with a
foot. Doesn't matter if you're wearing shoes. Anybody in the house who
crosses their legs will soon feel Ozzy petting *himself* against their foot!

OK, your turn!!! ;

Nose Twitches,

CatNipped

Old August 5th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message

OK, your turn!!! ;

Nose Twitches,

CatNipped

I had to think about this.

Scarlett still waits until all water bowl sources are cleaned and refilled
then she has to swim in it and make it Scarlett flavored.

Shamrock has to make every room I'm in Bonnie-free

Rhett has to own the humidifier in the winter to the point where I think it
needs to be in a cage to be leak-free; other months he harasses Shamrock,
probably because Shamrock hates his GF Bonnie

Bonnie still has her squeaky mousy toy obsession though she's killed most of
them and they don't make noise any more.

Old August 5th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"CatNipped" wrote:
Demi - you guys already know hers, she's a 'fraidy-cat, living on the edge
of the clowder, running for her life when anyone walks near her. *But* if
anyone in the house is eating chicken, she'll jump up right next to them and
stare until she's given her "chicken toll". Chicken trumps fear every time.

I think you should eat chicken every day, since she likes it so much!

I don't know if this counts, but I think Buster moves his head
excessively when he's investigating something. Whether he's looking
at me, or some ordinary household object, he stretches to look at his
subject from above, crouches to look at it from below, and tilts his
head back and forth to get a look from all angles and perspectives.

This habit makes him look very quizzical. And if he's looking at your
face this way, it's also pretty comical.
Old August 5th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

I don't know if this counts, but I think Buster moves his head
excessively when he's investigating something. Whether he's looking
at me, or some ordinary household object, he stretches to look at his
subject from above, crouches to look at it from below, and tilts his
head back and forth to get a look from all angles and perspectives.

I've seen cats do this - cracks me up. Kind of sounds like predatory
behavior, to me - like he's trying to get something "in his sights".

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 5th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Lindy wants lots and lots of attention. If she thinks I've been ignoring
her for too long, she'll yell at me. However, she hates to be picked up,
won't sit on my lap when I'm at the computer, and seldom sits on my lap in
my recliner. She will occasionally come up and lie next to me in the
recliner, but only for a few minutes. When anybody comes over, she thinks
they came to see her, and pesters them for attention. She seldom drinks out
of the water dish I change every day. Instead, she prefers to get her water
out of the toilet. If I walk in while she's getting a drink, or if I'm
there when she comes in for a drink, she gets very upset. If I take off a
bra and put it on my bed instead of in the hamper, she sniffs and rolls on
it as though it were catnip. Sometimes she'll lie on top of it for long
periods of time.

Joy

Old August 5th 08, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Chloe - we call her "The Retard". She will stare up at a wall and just cry,
cry, cry - for no reason. There's nothing there! Then she'll walk away
from the wall, be a good 8 feet away from you, stare at you and cry, cry,
cry. Hey, if you want to be petted, get your butt over here, I'm not going
to get up to pet you across the room. She also has an amazing skill to open
cabinets, go inside, and not figure out how to get out.

Tyrone - aka "Dr. Evil". If something is reachable, it *will* be destroyed.
We have to kitty-proof this house. Nothing is sacred. Books get gnawed on,
important papers get shredded as do the walls. Yes, the walls! I've got
boards with sisal NAILED to the walls and he still prefers the drywall.
Like CatNipped's Ozzy, he's also our "footy-tat". We always joke, "I thawt
I thaw a footy-tat". :~)

Pua - no nickname. She's the ultimate perfect cat except for the fact that
she's my constant shadow. I mean CONSTANT. I can't even use the bathroom
without her trying to get on my lap. I tend to be sick a lot and it's kind
of annoying to have a cat wanting attention when you're busy in the loo, you
know? Then, if I have to lay down in bed, thump, there she is again. I'm
sick, honey! Please! Sure enough, whisker in my nostril.

kili

Old August 5th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Joy wrote:

If I take off a bra and
put it on my bed instead of in the hamper, she sniffs and rolls on it
as though it were catnip. Sometimes she'll lie on top of it for long
periods of time.
Joy

Okay, now that's weirdly funny. LOL.

kili

Old August 5th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
I've been thinking about this and finally gotten around to starting a
thread about it. Each one of my cats has some idiosyncrasy. I'm
sure every cat does, so I'll start and then would like to read about
other master's little quirks.

(snip seriously cute idiosyncracies)

CatNipped

Persia does the tap me on the nose with her paw thing. If she can't reach
it my chin will do It's so cute! Used to be she'd do it to wake me up.
Now there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, she just likes to reach out
and touch me from time to time.

In terms of wake-up-mommy rituals, she's become very dedicated to gently
nipping me on my chin once I open my eyes. It's her version of a good
morning kiss, I suppose. And if I don't stir fast enough two or three of
them is guaranteed to get me moving!

Back in TN she was fed in the small foyer off my very small kitchen. The
phrase, "It's not time yet!" would stop her in her tracks if I was heading
in that direction (she gets feed early AM and early PM). Sometimes she'd
peer around the corner at me through the entry to the kitchen while I was
cooking but she rarely followed me *into* the kitchen. Not so here. She
eats in the bedroom and her food is stored in a closet in the master bath.
Still, when I go into the kitchen she comes in and talks to me. She doesn't
get fed people food, ever, and in fact the kitchen here doesn't always
involve food. I pay the bills sitting at the kitchen table. Guess she's
just keeping me company She meatloafs on one of the small rugs, either
in front of the sink or by the garage door.

The sight of the milk carton coming out of the fridge will induce the most
pitiful crying you've ever heard. She only gets a tiny dribble about once a
week (she's not lactose intolerant but why take chances?). If she had her
way she'd be lapping it up every day! And you don't dare open a bag of
chips/crisps. She could be sound asleep in a closet at the other end of the
house but she knows that crinkly sound anywhere.

Jill

Old August 5th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Where to start? Especially, but not only, when we open the windows, Stinky
still gets his alpha-cat on, and swings through the house yelling at the top
of his lungs. He's always been a talkative guy, and pretty regularly will
walk up to me or Mom and say "Meow?" Occasionally, when he is doing his
perimeter patrol, he will come up to me and do some yelling directly at me.
I have no idea what that's all about. He occasionally will report to Mom,
and read her the riot act.

A funny thing that has started since his CRF diagnosis-- as soon as he's
finished taking his fluids, he makes a beeline for Dante and tells him off!

And he can do that because one of Dante's idiosyncracies is to sit or
meatloaf nearby and watch when I'm giving Stinky his subQ. It's really
funny-- it's become sort of family time,

Stinky's preferred place to be is near me, if possible, in physical contact
with me. He's always been my lap cat-- he likes to lie draped over me when
I'm watching TV, and he sleeps with me in bed next to my head.

I've also mentioned here his fondness for walking on the piano keyboard.

Dante sometimes imitates the Big Dood in the swagger-and-yell thing, but his
voice is high and chirpy. I consider Dante's extremely silly face to be one
of his idiosyncracies-- I just look at him and laugh. His body is pretty
funny, too. I've recorded here his drinking straw/pipe cleaner fetish,
before how he loves to play fetch, move things around, and bring me random
junk --once I awoke in a bed full of drinking straws-- he also once left a
trail of them on the stairway.

When I'm in bed, Dante feels called upon to give massive leg massages. He
really gets carried away with this, kneading like a maniac up and down my
legs. :P

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old August 5th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Your post gave me quite a smile, my friend. I don't know why, but it did.
:~)

kili