[OT] Yowlet with Vegemite

Old January 19th 05, 08:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-19, Yowie penned:
Cary demonstrates what to do (or maybe not) when you encounter your first
vegemite sandwich.

There are 5 pictures, starting he

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yow...nm=97a6.jpg&.s
rc=ph

or

http://tinyurl.com/6mbwz

Yowie

That's ... um ... well, it's a good thing he has a bib =)

#108 is my favorite.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 19th 05, 11:41 PM
Yowie

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:51:02 -0500, "Irulan"
yodeled:

LOL! He sure looks like he's enjoying it! What does iti taste like?
Jazz's mama

Toxic waste with salt.

LOL!

If you have never tasted marmite or promite its hard to describe. Its sorta
like bonox, but thicker, if that helps (probably doesn't).

The best way I can describe it to someone who has never tried anything like
it is to get powdered beef boullion or stock, and add just enough water to
make a thick paste. The taste, while not the same, will be similar in nature
to vegemite, ie very salty and umami tasting (umami is the 5th taste after
salty, sweet, sour and bitter. It detects protein - beef jerky and strong
cheese also have a strong umami taste)

Vegemite goes really well with cheese and we Aussies use it to add some
"zing" to things like meatloaf and rissoles. As I said before, its not
really suited to American style white bread. If you don't like things like
vintage cheese, strong salamis and beef jerky, don't bother. But if you do,
I'd reccomend you toast some sour dough bread, give it a genourous amount of
butter, and then put on the least possible amount of vegemite you are
physically able to do, just enough to add a hint of colour to the bread. Eat
with other savoury (high umami) things. If you like the taste, slowly
increase the amount of vegemite until you get to the right level.

Mixing it with the butter or margarine on a cold slice of bread or toast is
also quite traditonal, as is putting a layer of vegemite on before making
cheese-on-toast

Yowie

Old January 19th 05, 11:46 PM
Yowie

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Yowie wrote:

Cary demonstrates what to do (or maybe not) when you encounter your

first
vegemite sandwich.

Sound effect: "Num-num-num-num-num!"
He is enjoying his Vegemite!

Yup, that was pretty much the noise he was making (along with the other
squeals, grunts and abab-woo-gabbagabba-lalala-pthpthpth sounds)

Yowie

Old January 20th 05, 01:23 AM
mlbriggs

"Yowie" wrote in message
Cary demonstrates what to do (or maybe not) when you encounter your first
vegemite sandwich.

There are 5 pictures, starting he

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yow...nm=97a6.jpg&.s
rc=ph

or

http://tinyurl.com/6mbwz

Yowie

He surely is a cute kid! MLB

Old January 20th 05, 02:47 AM
Tanada

mlbriggs wrote:

He surely is a cute kid! MLB

He's not just cute, he's adorable, just like his momma and daddy.

Pam S.
Old January 20th 05, 03:36 PM
Sherry

He's not just cute, he's adorable, just like his momma and daddy.

Pam S.

He looks like them both to me. I used to think he was a perfect mini-Joel.
He is so precious. I have grandchild fever now.

Sherry
Old January 20th 05, 05:59 PM
Karen

"Sherry " wrote in message
He's not just cute, he's adorable, just like his momma and daddy.

Pam S.

He looks like them both to me. I used to think he was a perfect mini-Joel.
He is so precious. I have grandchild fever now.

Sherry

Yeah, but I can sure see Yowie now. Especially around the eyes.

Old January 20th 05, 06:47 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:46:47 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

Yowie wrote:

Cary demonstrates what to do (or maybe not) when you encounter your

first
vegemite sandwich.

Sound effect: "Num-num-num-num-num!"
He is enjoying his Vegemite!

Yup, that was pretty much the noise he was making (along with the other
squeals, grunts and abab-woo-gabbagabba-lalala-pthpthpth sounds)

Yowie

Does he gurgle? My baby nephew makes a kind of trilling, gurgling
sound that I love.

Theresa
Old January 20th 05, 09:05 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Yowie"
wrote:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:51:02 -0500, "Irulan"
yodeled:

LOL! He sure looks like he's enjoying it! What does iti taste like?
Jazz's mama

Toxic waste with salt.

LOL!

If you have never tasted marmite or promite its hard to describe. Its
sorta
like bonox, but thicker, if that helps (probably doesn't).

It doesn't help that I keep reading that as "Botox", the brand name for
the injectable form of Type A botulinus toxin, the most poisonous
substance known!

The best way I can describe it to someone who has never tried anything
like
it is to get powdered beef boullion or stock, and add just enough water
make a thick paste. The taste, while not the same, will be similar in
nature
to vegemite, ie very salty and umami tasting (umami is the 5th taste
after
salty, sweet, sour and bitter. It detects protein - beef jerky and strong
cheese also have a strong umami taste)

I suspect that it's somewhat similar to the meat extracts and yeast
extract pastes we use in microbiology -- a very stiff paste, which would
be the next step after the most concentrated essence in French cooking
-- glace de viande. The latter will coat a spoon when dipped in it,
where the former has to be scooped out with some effort -- and is AWFUL
to weigh out.

[...]

Where does the beer become involved? There must be beer -- isn't that
the national soup of Australia? :-)

[OT] Yowlet Update Yowie Cat anecdotes 7 December 13th 04 12:25 AM
[OT] Cousin Yowlet Sherry Cat anecdotes 32 August 13th 04 12:28 AM
[OT] Yowlet Photos Yowie Cat anecdotes 57 May 30th 04 01:30 PM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM
[OT] Yowlet Update 30th March 5am Yowie Cat anecdotes 15 April 4th 04 02:39 AM