Can an Old Healthy Cat Travel Successfully Internationally?

Old April 4th 04, 11:10 PM
Michael Hoffman

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in
:

From: Michael Hoffman

Are there homeopathic or
other organic/natural/non-dehydrating/safe calm-her-downs? (I don't
want to knock her out!)

When I take my cats to the vet, I give them Rescue Remedy and it seems
to help calm them. How soon are you leaving? Maybe you could try the
RR beforehand to see how your cat reacts. Here's a website I came
across:
http://www.flowersociety.org/Animals.htm

Lauren
________

Thanks for the info!

Also, thanks for your sig - my wife and I had talked about feeding our
critters better and your links are good resources!

Mike

--
Am I the only one who's noticed that the discovery of the accelerating
expansion of the universe coincides with the discovery that more than half
Old April 4th 04, 11:10 PM
Michael Hoffman

Old April 5th 04, 06:31 AM
veronicka

Hi Mike,
I'm in Oz and catnip is sold here. You probably can't bring it with
you but you can get it once you're here.

Old April 6th 04, 04:00 AM
Sharon Dunne

Hi,

Why don't you email Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service and ask
them if you can bring in some dried Catnip with your pets.

The email address is: -

Regards,

Sharon.

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
. 0.13...
Hello,

This thread was god-send, as I am faced with a very similar problem.

My wife and I will be leaving the US to emigrate to Australia. Our 4
beloved critters, our "kids", will be coming with us.

As some may know, Australia has some very strict quarantine rules (though,
thank goodness, no longer the 6 months, they once required). By having

them
get all their bloodwork and vaccinations done, we can reduce the time to

30
days. Also, we will use a reputable (with lots of references) animal

moving
company. So far, so good.

Our 2 dogs should do just fine, knowing them. Merlin, our Russian Blue, as
well. On trips to the vet, he tends to complain once or twice about the
general injustice of being in a carrier, then curls up and watches the
world go by. Give him a catnip toy and he'll be stoned out of his little
eyeballs.

My worry, nay, my nightmare is Phoebe, our Himalayan. Smart, social and
affectionate, yet, she absolutely *HATES* being penned up in a carrier or
travelling. Our vet measured her heartrate shoot up to 200+ coming out of
the carrier. She will not stop crying through-out the ride. Oh yes, she's
about 8 or 9 - a rescue cat, we can't be sure.

What can I do, to not have her die of stress? Our options are somewhat
limited - animals *must* travel as freight. The carriers are prescribed
and they must be sealed before departure.

Everyone I've spoken to, says that tranquilizers are a BIG nono, so I

won't
touch them.

What alternatives are there? Hope that the catnip lasts? Which may raise
other problems and issues, as importing plants to Australia is illegal and
they may take a dim view of the dried catnip. Are there homeopathic or
other organic/natural/non-dehydrating/safe calm-her-downs? (I don't want

knock her out!)

I loved the suggestions made in the thread, but as stated above, because

it
is not allowed to take them in the cabin, many of them won't work. The
critters may not even be on the same flight as we.

Help!
Mike