ping bookie

Old January 3rd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Psychologist

Default ping bookie

bookie wrote:

thank god christmas is over

baaa humbug! you got a hangover

yeah, I take a little pride in my heaters
Im the wick expert around these parts

sorry you're not feeling well

have you tried gatorade and peaches?

whens the last time you sat down to a big home cooked meal?
that's what you need

in the meantime, try keep your head, feet and hands warm

wrapping a bright green scarf around bookies neck, handing her a bag
lunch and sending her out the door

I always wanted to do that

:

Old January 4th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

bookie wrote:
Cat Psychologist wrote:
bookie wrote:

bless you! you missed me didn't you?

nodding my head

yeah, you seemed quiet, a little too quiet, it made me think you might
be up to no good?

im up lighting a second oil heater, you would call it a parafin heater,
but it's the same thing.
what a nice difference it makes, it's the differnce of HOT and just ok
in here.
I like it hot, I can always fan the door, or open the window a little
wider

I like a heater where you can back your iss up and warm your buns
i don't like these wimpy central heat units, you can' t find a warm
spot in the house

Happy new year

cp

I have not been well past couple of days, flu or something, and now
jessie has gone awol and i have to go out and we have no cat flap so i
cannot just got out and leave her locked out cos it looks like it is
going to rain any second and i am worried about her being locked out in
awful weather. mayeb she is hiding in a the bottom of a cupboard
somewhere.

Oh Bookie, I knew there was something Up~Most unlike you not to put in
a regular appearance.What *you need* Is a rather large box of Lem sips
& ultra soft tissues, as well as a decent totty at bed time.

I'm really sorry to read about Jessie.I do hope that you have found her
now?
I worry when my gang arn't In too, if we need to go out.

We recently had Upvc windows and doors fitted because they all
desperately needed replacing so we thought that we would go for
something that would last for a few years.In haste I fear.. .I forgot
to take into consideration that we can't fit a cat flip into any of
them.Actually, I was wondering If anyone has ever tried fitting one
into a glass window before?It must be possible as long as you know what
you are doing?I need to fit at least one in so that the go - outer crew
can get indoors when It is tipping it down.Presently, I'm leaving the
shed open so that there is at least some shelter for them, but It Is
hardly Ideal.When we get another cold snap, I would rather know that
they can make It indoors so that they can spread out under the
radiators or In their beds
..
make sure you are careful with those oil heaters, don't start a fire
and end up with singed kittens.

Very true. B,Can you get a fire that we refer to as a Super Ser?
It Is a mobile Gas fire that you can move from room to room should you
wish to.It has a gas bottle inside that you can turn on and off when
you need to?It also helps with cold bum syndrome too-Don't forget to
leave a crack open In one of your windows.You need to be aware that
carbon monoxide is just as poisinous to the Mogg's as It Is to
you.Silent & deadly stuff that Is!
A Sper Ser Is slightly more safe that a parrafin heater I think.

personally have radiators which jessie loves stretching out underneath,
anmd i can sit with my back leaning on them to get really warm. I am
considering gettign a radiator bed/hammock thing but i am wondering
whether cats really use them, any experience with them?

Same here.Gas central heating,& I still have the open fire in the
living room.I couldn't bare to part with it, But It is nice to have the
back up Gas, so that you don't have to go & clear It all out before
lighting It & there being warmth for us all.To be perfectly honest, It
is a bit of a pain in the butt , having to clear It out.All worth It on
a cold freezing evening, especially with an Iron fork to make toast
with.

The radiator beds that you mention are absolutely brilliant Bookie.In
fact the only down side Is that they can't take over 3cats at the same
time.. once they realise that one of the cats is in one, they all want
to get in.
I got another 2 for xmas & I have located them in several parts of the
house so that they have a choice of radiators to choose from now.Well
worth the money.Try Argos for both Cat flap's & radiator beds.They have
quite a range at incredibly reasonable prices.Go for a stronger one
than a more cheaply priced one.It pays you to..

thank god christmas is over

Hear hear, only one more birthday to go, then a break from the endless
money pit
I am determind to start xmas gift buying in January this year.
I feel a bit of the hum bug fever too, but with younger children, It
would be wrong of me to inflict my personal feelings about It on them.
The true meaning of xmas does seem to have lost It's true meaning, &
has become so commericalised!But then again, half of my problem Is self
Inflicted because I leave It until the last possible moment before
taking off like a woman with too much purpose, with too little money.
I do hope that you feel better soon Bookie.Are you back to work this
week?My lot are going back to school tomorrow heaving a sigh of
relife
S;o)

Old January 5th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

sheelagh wrote:
bookie wrote:

.
[...]

I can't leave jessie out when I go out because we dont; have a cat flap
either so she woudl have no way to get back in and she is an old girl
and really should not be left outside when it is going to be cold (and
she might get into a fight with the big tabby and white bruiser from a
few doors up). Therefore I have to get her inside before I can close
all the doors and go out myself, usually she is good and comes when i
call her and she is usually not too far away, just got a bit frantic
this time.

Also cannot have a flap fitted as the back door is all double glazed
glass. I suppose could have a tunnel knocked into the back wall but
that is a bit extreme as we only rent the house (and I ahve read that
cat flaps are not the greatest of inventions when it comes to having a
secure house with no feline intruders to scare your own moggies). I
think that if you cut a whoel for a flap into a singel sheet of glass
(as we have in our back doors) it would weaken the pane of glass and be
no good at all. But someone i was cat sitting for this week has had a
tunnel knocked through the wall next to her glass patio doors and that
seesmto work for her 2 cats, a normal cat flap is fitted onthe outside
of it and it is lined with plastic tubing. She got a professional
builder into do it though so god knows how much it cost her.

anyway hopefully with the new term starting I will get some supply
work, have to wait until a few weeks into term when all the staff will
get ill and start going off sick and then i get called. Frustratign
when you only get paid for the days you actually go into a school so
you do not get paid any other time and you depend on there being a big
epidemic of flu or something so you can eanr enough money to pay bills.
it is not the way to live really. Still probably better than having a
permanant job in a school with all that bloody marking and prep and
kids aggro and parents giving you crap all the time and refusing to
accept that their darling child is actually a totally brain dead and
insolent little **** and oxygen thief who should have been shot at
birth, anything is better than having to deal all that **** again.
At least with supply I can just walk away at the end of the day and
dont; have to see the kids again ever (mostly).

question; do you think some people common here purely to be abusive to
others regardless of what the topic is to be discussed? sometimes I get
that impression, pretty sad really. don't they have other things in
their lives?

Bookie

Old January 5th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On 4 Jan 2007 16:28:25 -0800, "bookie"
wrote:

insolent little **** and oxygen thief who should have been shot at
birth, anything is better than having to deal all that **** again.

Hmmm. I wonder if you aren't in the wrong line of work, bookie.
Maybe you could get a job working as a prison guard, or something else
that would allow you to express your personality without having to
face negative repercussions.

Charlie

Old January 5th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

wrote:

insolent little **** and oxygen thief who should have been shot at
birth, anything is better than having to deal all that **** again.

Hmmm. I wonder if you aren't in the wrong line of work, bookie.
Maybe you could get a job working as a prison guard, or something else
that would allow you to express your personality without having to
face negative repercussions.

Charlie

go into the average school straff room and you will hear all sorts of
opinions on the darling pupils being expressed and they make mine seem
tame by comparison. Until you have experienced for yourself what state
schools in britain in some of the bad areas have become you probably
won't believe some of the tales which come out of them. bad behaviour
and general lack of respect for themslevs or other people has grown
from total lack of back up from senior teachers (who themselves no
longer teach but instead tend to stay in their offices in some quiet
corner of the school from which they regularly issue forth dictats on
how the classroom teachers are supposed to do their jobs) and the
abandonment of any sanctions which teachers had in order to control the
kids (detentions, corporal punishment).

the result now is anarchy and slipping educational standards caused by
this total lack of control of the kids who themselves know that the
teachers have no sanctions left in place. Sanctions and discipline are
not just there to punish the 'bad' ones but also to make the whole
place safer and give a feeling of security to the 'good' ones.

personally i have lost count of the number of times I have been shoved
or hit by pupils, sworn out, told to '**** off' or similar. And before
you ask, I DO NOT respond to them in their language, whatever you may
think of me I always manage to maintain a degree of professionalism and
would not stoop to their level anyway. I would not want to give them
the satisfaction of knowing they have wound me up, so you develop a
very thick skin after a while and try not to take it personally.

the most frightening thing I read was about a female teacher, new to
the job (I forget the details, i think the school was in north londno
somewhere) who was raped by a boy pupil who hung around after school
one day. It was right at the start of the school year back in
september, she was sitting in her classroom marking books, must have
been about 4pm, and he came in, think he had a knife, and raped her. I
suspect that there have been more than just this occasion aruond the
country but the teachers in question may have been unwilling to report
it because they know that the pupil/rapist may well just claim that the
teacher forced themselves on the pupil and get the teacher to be viewed
as the perpetrator and not the victim when it should be the other way
round.

These days the pupils are always believed to be telling the truth
before any investigation has taken place and they know that when it is
their word against a teacher's that the pupils will win. This is
something that some of them have used in the past to 'get back' at
teachers they bear a grudge against; make an allegation of abuse of
whatever against disliked teacher, teacher is immediately suspended
until investigated, even when the teacher is found to be completely
innocent all that happens ot the pupils is a mild slap on the wrist
whilst the teacher's career is in tatters, no other school will employ
them, all because of a vicious false allegation which will stay on
their record for any other school to check.

kids are more conniving and devious than most people want to admit,
particularly in this country, I know from experience.

actually am thinking about accountancy, the work is dull but the salary
more than makes up for that after you qualify, and no kids or parents
to deal with

Old January 5th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

bookie wrote:
think that if you cut a whoel for a flap into a singel sheet of glass

can't believe I wrote that!!!! I meant HOLE not whole, gods it's late

Old January 5th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On 4 Jan 2007 17:53:14 -0800, "bookie"
wrote:

actually am thinking about accountancy, the work is dull but the salary
more than makes up for that after you qualify, and no kids or parents
to deal with

Sure. Accounting is a good line of work. There's no point struggling
to get a job you detest.

Charlie
Old January 5th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

wrote:

actually am thinking about accountancy, the work is dull but the salary
more than makes up for that after you qualify, and no kids or parents
to deal with

Sure. Accounting is a good line of work. There's no point struggling
to get a job you detest.

I agree, I tried accountancy when i first graduated but it wasn't for
me then, there was lots of extra study to do for professional exams and
all i wanted to do at the time was see the world and not have to
struggle through more exams, not after just finishing a degree anyway.
I am a lot more grounded and less bothered about keeping up a hectic
social life (well actually thanks to my chosen sport I have no social
life anymore to worry about) so am more likely to knuckle down to all
the after hours studying which is required to pass the exams for it.

do accountants in USA have to study for it and pass exams etc? here you
have to do so, and the courses have a very heavy workload and the exams
are quite tough so you can become ACA qualified (or whatever, i am sure
someone will correct me on that). It is worth it cos the salaries are
good, and the work does give you a general knowledge of business and
how it works, can be long hours depending on which of the firms you
work for and where inthe country you are based too (london firms are
most hardworking it seems from my friends who do it).

I often think about something which Confucius (apparantly) said; "find
a job you love and you will never work another day in your life" .
think about it, he was spot on. All I have to do now is find a job as a
professional cat cuddler.

Bookie

Old January 5th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

question; do you think some people common here purely to be abusive to
others regardless of what the topic is to be discussed? sometimes I get
that impression, pretty sad really. don't they have other things in
their lives?
bookie wrote:

Only one or two of them-But everyone knows who they are & does
everything possible to avoid them (Even me now that I know better.I
learnt this one the hard way ...as usual)...

wrote:

insolent little **** and oxygen thief who should have been shot at
birth, anything is better than having to deal all that **** again.

Hmmm. I wonder if you aren't in the wrong line of work, bookie.
Maybe you could get a job working as a prison guard, or something else
that would allow you to express your personality without having to
face negative repercussions.

Charlie

LOL
I can just imagine you reading this statement & shaking your head in
wonder.
Charlie, you need to meet these sad individuals & thier parents to
appreciate exactly what Bookie means.

go into the average school straff room and you will hear all sorts of
opinions on the darling pupils being expressed and they make mine seem
tame by comparison. Until you have experienced for yourself what state
schools in britain in some of the bad areas have become you probably
won't believe some of the tales which come out of them. bad behaviour
and general lack of respect for themslevs or other people has grown
from total lack of back up from senior teachers (who themselves no
longer teach but instead tend to stay in their offices in some quiet
corner of the school from which they regularly issue forth dictates on
how the classroom teachers are supposed to do their jobs) and the
abandonment of any sanctions which teachers had in order to control the
kids (detentions, corporal punishment).

the result now is anarchy and slipping educational standards caused by
this total lack of control of the kids who themselves know that the
teachers have no sanctions left in place. Sanctions and discipline are
not just there to punish the 'bad' ones but also to make the whole
place safer and give a feeling of security to the 'good' ones.

This very true.I have 5kids all of whom are @ various levels in the
education system, & I have wittnesed some of the things that Bookie
tell's you, so I know that what she tells you is in fact true.
On this side of the pond,we use different words that you probably might
not understand.One of these terms is a word called *chav*.Have you
heard this word before?
It used to be a slang word, but has now been added to the Oxford
Consice Dictionary
It's connoation imply's that the individual child or children involved
are of a group that wear a certain type of sport's wear ,& that they
are the sort of child that feels a need to be involved with gangs, & to
prove themselves worthy of initiation or involvment.
Thier main objective is to be as disruptive in nature as
possible.Vandal orrientated & a general niusance.They are loud,
oportunistic,criminal minded & fear nothing, least of all a teacher or
any other authority that might be involved, including the police-In
fact recently we had a big news section that indidcated that they
particularly aspire to get a badge of particular honour to themselves,
to wear with pride it would seem.The name of this badge is an ASBO.
ASBO is shortend or abbreviated for it's real term Antisocial behaviour
order.An order such as this, is issued by a magistrate's court, where
they will have already recieved plenty of warnings to alter their
behaviour pior to receiving one.
Normally, an asbo is issued by them & has conditions attatched to it,
such as to refrain from going into certain areas where they have caused
trouble, & to avoid certain people;a bit like a restraining order that
you have.(I watch Judge Judy sometimes lol..).It also has a final
warning attatched to it, stating that if they break the rules, such as
curfew orders, then they must face the consequences, which is normally
a short stay at an youth offenders institution.The more often you do
it, the longer your sentence will be.
The only way that I can equate it, is with your gang culture nature in
the Usa.
They are real pests, & often the parents really don't care enough to
deal with the problem, which in most cases is related to thier own
nature and problems too.

personally i have lost count of the number of times I have been shoved
or hit by pupils, sworn out, told to '**** off' or similar. And before
you ask, I DO NOT respond to them in their language, whatever you may
think of me I always manage to maintain a degree of professionalism and
would not stoop to their level anyway. I would not want to give them
the satisfaction of knowing they have wound me up, so you develop a
very thick skin after a while and try not to take it personally.

To do so in this instance would be like asking for the sack with no
hope of a reference.It is sad, but very true.
No one wants to admit responsibility for their behaviour.You do have to
be extreemly tolerant, or have the abitity to hit the shut down botton
when they start on you personally.

the most frightening thing I read was about a female teacher, new to
the job (I forget the details, i think the school was in north londno
somewhere) who was raped by a boy pupil who hung around after school
one day. It was right at the start of the school year back in
september, she was sitting in her classroom marking books, must have
been about 4pm, and he came in, think he had a knife, and raped her. I
suspect that there have been more than just this occasion aruond the
country but the teachers in question may have been unwilling to report
it because they know that the pupil/rapist may well just claim that the
teacher forced themselves on the pupil and get the teacher to be viewed
as the perpetrator and not the victim when it should be the other way
round.

I have read about this case too.It is frightening to think that a child
is capeable of doing such a terrible thing, but they do!!
Over here, there is a policy that anyone is innocent until proven
otherwise...but in reality, this is often not the case at all-as she
points out, some people are more equal than others, children being the
inclusion to the rule here.There was also another case where a
headmaster was stabbed for trying to stop a fight quite recently too.
I can appreciate why a teacher feels threatened & wouldn't want to make
a complaint against as child, because most parents tend to believe the
child 1st, then question the validity of the childs statement, which
sadly more often or not is just a story to get them out of the
proverbial ****!!

These days the pupils are always believed to be telling the truth
before any investigation has taken place and they know that when it is
their word against a teacher's that the pupils will win. This is
something that some of them have used in the past to 'get back' at
teachers they bear a grudge against; make an allegation of abuse of
whatever against disliked teacher, teacher is immediately suspended
until investigated, even when the teacher is found to be completely
innocent all that happens ot the pupils is a mild slap on the wrist
whilst the teacher's career is in tatters, no other school will employ
them, all because of a vicious false allegation which will stay on
their record for any other school to check.

This is sadly true too.Once an allegation is made, It is almost
impossible to get away from the allegation, even when it is proved
beyhond reasonable doubt that they were in fact, telling the truth

kids are more conniving and devious than most people want to admit,
particularly in this country, I know from experience.

I *think* that in the Usa, that this is taken far more seriously over
there , than it is over here?
Where as trouble makers are routed out, & sent to more appropriate
"schools", enabling the teacher to achieve the other brighter childrens
true potential. A terrible shame, but true all the same I fear...
No wonder that we find ourselve's having to import more core workers
such as teachers, nurses, police ,firemen & doctors even.
Our kids go to university, then go abroad to get a decent job where
they will be appreciated, paid far more, & respected too-It is also an
excellent way of getting out of paying back the Enormouse loans that
college students have to take out to study at university as well.A
crying shame actually!

actually am thinking about accountancy, the work is dull but the salary
more than makes up for that after you qualify, and no kids or parents
to deal with

My mother once came out with a statement that I have never forgotten.I
don't think that she realised that she has never made a truer
statement...It was, "well I blame the parents personally"...
It was sooo true!!!?
I would die of shame if my kids were like that.
S.

Old January 6th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

wrote:

[...]

astounded that someone backs me up on this, most people seem to think
being a teacher is a doddle (don't know what planet they are on but not
the same one as me).
teachers are leaving the profession in droves, and the policy makers,
the politicians and the bigwigs in powers who don't actually know what
it is lie to work in a school, 'at the coalface' to coin a phrase, all
scratch their heads and wonder why. All they would have to do woudl be
to set up hidden cameras in a few classroom of your average secondary
school and watch some of these little c*nts in action, being abusive to
teachers and other pupils, being violent, disrupting lessons,
preventing me form doing my job and others from learning anything, and
it woudl be soon obvious why teachers are finding other careers. most
only stay inthe job about 3 years after they qualify now, then they
realise what a pile of **** it is, how poorly paid it is, that you are
treated like **** by senior teachers, parents and kids and leave to do
something where they are actually treated like a human being and paid
an appropriate amount for their hard work and qualifications.

i am gettign out now, i have had one nervous breakdown already due to
the utter ****ness of the job, I am not going to have another.

a few things which may need clarifying here though; chav, i think the
USA equivalent is 'trailer park trash'? if you have ever seen Little
Britain (comedy show, probably nto seen have you?) the character Vicky
Pollard is a perfect example, lives on council estate, already has had
a few kids, one of which she swapped for a Westlife cd, probably only
about 15 years old, wears chavvy kappa brand shiny tracksuits and
trashy white reebok trainers the whole time but saves her 'good
trainers' for court appearances (mostly for thieving offences), usually
found hanging around kiddies playgrounds, smoking and offering the
local boys 'favours' in return for drugs.

also thanks to the government, prob in a bid to save money on education
and redirect it into far nmore important things like more bombs or
refurbishing the main bar in the house of commons, we no longer have
special school or untis to send these horrible.. er... I mean
'challenged' kids. These schools have all been shut down under a policy
of 'inclusion' meaning that all the **** kids are now included
inmainstream schools where people who are not supported or trained in
how to deal with these little ****s have to try to cope with them as
they disrupt lessons and destroy the chances of any of the other kids
in classes with them of getting any sort of education as the teacher is
occupied full time with dealing with these morons unaided.

bookie