Cat's fur won't grow back

Old January 30th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
June[_2_]

Default Cat's fur won't grow back

My male cat age 7 had his tummy shaved last August when he had a urinary
tract problem. The vet had to put him under to get crystals out of his
bladder. The procedure was successful but the fur has not grown back. He
only has like a peach fuzz on his tummy. He's an indoor cat so it's not a
big problem but it does seem strange. Do I need to be concerned?
.........June

Old January 31st 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"June" wrote in message
My male cat age 7 had his tummy shaved last August when he had a urinary
tract problem. The vet had to put him under to get crystals out of his
bladder. The procedure was successful but the fur has not grown back.
He only has like a peach fuzz on his tummy. He's an indoor cat so it's
not a big problem but it does seem strange. Do I need to be concerned?
........June

He is licking or biting it off.

Old January 31st 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
June[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"June" wrote in message
My male cat age 7 had his tummy shaved last August when he had a urinary
tract problem. The vet had to put him under to get crystals out of his
bladder. The procedure was successful but the fur has not grown back.
He only has like a peach fuzz on his tummy. He's an indoor cat so it's
not a big problem but it does seem strange. Do I need to be concerned?
........June

He is licking or biting it off.

I'm retired so I'm around here most of the day. I've never noticed him
licking or biting it off. He's a lazy Tom Cat. Spends time in his cat
tree. My brother has a cat that had a small bare spot and the vet gave him
some cream to put on it and the fur grew back. This is such a large area to
put cream on. I'm afraid the vet will want to give him a shot and that's
what started the whole urinary problem (after getting a cortisone shot) .
BTW My daughter lost her beloved Siamese cat in December after getting its
yearly vaccinations. After what happened to her cat and to me with my cat
we no longer get indoor cat vaccinations because it isn't necessary and
could be fatal.

Old January 31st 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"June" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

He is licking or biting it off.

I'm retired so I'm around here most of the day. I've never noticed him
licking or biting it off.

I never saw Gracie doing anything but regular grooming either.

He's a lazy Tom Cat. Spends time in his cat
tree. My brother has a cat that had a small bare spot and the vet gave
him some cream to put on it and the fur grew back. This is such a large
area to put cream on. I'm afraid the vet will want to give him a shot and
that's what started the whole urinary problem (after getting a cortisone
shot) .

What are you basing this on?

BTW My daughter lost her beloved Siamese cat in December after getting
its yearly vaccinations. After what happened to her cat and to me with
my cat we no longer get indoor cat vaccinations because it isn't necessary
and could be fatal.

1.There are some, like distemper, that you must have, because you can carry
the cause in on your shoes.
2. You just traveled from a bald spot to death in few fractured thoughts
that do not appear to be legitimately connected. My cat has gotten steroid
shots (Cortizone is a steroid) for eight years with no ill effects except
now she has fur on her belly, she scratches less, and she does not get
lesions.

Old January 31st 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
June[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"June" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

He is licking or biting it off.

I'm retired so I'm around here most of the day. I've never noticed him
licking or biting it off.

I never saw Gracie doing anything but regular grooming either.

He's a lazy Tom Cat. Spends time in his cat
tree. My brother has a cat that had a small bare spot and the vet gave
him some cream to put on it and the fur grew back. This is such a large
area to put cream on. I'm afraid the vet will want to give him a shot
and that's what started the whole urinary problem (after getting a
cortisone shot) .

What are you basing this on?

I took my cat to a different Vet when he got the bladder problem in fact I
took him to three different Vets. The last one was the head of a local cat
clinic and he used a catheter to get rid of the crystals. He suspected the
cortisone shot which the first vet gave to my cat (because he was scratching
the fur off his ears). My cat was 7 years old before any bladder problems
occurred and has none since.

I mentioned the vaccinations only because all this happened about the same
time that I was having problems with my cat and I had never heard of
vaccinations causing such serious problems before but have since.
Veterinarians don't like to admit this since it doesn't happen very often
and will affect their business. Or they just mention it in passing and tell
you it's just a small fraction of cats that are affected. When it's your
beloved cat, you tend to do research and ask other vets for the truth as my
daughter did. Her cat was a very small female cat even though she was 4
years old. She developed infections that started in the eyes and ears that
wouldn't go away with any antibiotic treatments and suffered until it went
into her brain and had to be put down. She was perfectly healthy before the
vaccinations.
Sorry to get off my original question. I wanted to share this information
because I've had cats since I was a kid and I never knew about the some of
the side effects of certain vaccinations.
You may very well be right about the chewing off the fur thing. Maybe he
traded the fur scratching on his ears for belly fur chewing. I guess I
could crochet a sweater for him......June

Old February 3rd 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

My Isabelle had her tummy shaved when she was rescued to check for a spay
scar. The hair hadn't grown back over a year later (by this time I had
adopted her) and she started peeing outside the box. She now not only had a
bald tummy but had started overgrooming her hind legs and the base of her
tail. I didn't see her gooming all that often either. After tests and an
ultrasound she was found to have kidney problems (one totally not
functioning and the other damaged). She also tends to get crystals in her
bladder. Once I changed her food to stop the crystal formation (which isn't
helping the kidneys I guess) she stopped over-grooming for the most part and
most of the hair has grown back. Her tummy still hasn't grown back but
instead of being bald it's peach fuzz. The rest of her fur is back.

Wendy

Old February 3rd 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Wendy" wrote in message
m...
My Isabelle had her tummy shaved when she was rescued to check for a spay
scar. The hair hadn't grown back over a year later (by this time I had
adopted her) and she started peeing outside the box. She now not only had
a bald tummy but had started overgrooming her hind legs and the base of
her tail. I didn't see her gooming all that often either.

Same with my Gracie, but when I began treating her EGC (allergic skin
condition) and she was all settled in to her new home with us, suddenly she
had a full belly full of cream-colored fur with brown spots.