Hi, cat trauma...

Old February 13th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Hi, cat trauma...

Hi, i'm new to the group and pretty cat crazy (well i'm pretty much
crazy over anything small cute and cuddly).
Last summer my cat just disappeared. She was indoor all day and every
night she would go outside. She had all of her claws and was the
dominant cat in the neighborhood. She was a very good hunter and
never went very far. We used to call her our cat-dog because she
would walk with us whenever we walked the dogs - she would even go to
7-11 with us and wait outside while we bought our stuff... Anyways
she was the sweetest, most affectionate cat I have EVER had. I don't
know what happened to her but she must be gone for good and I think I
am almost ready to get another one.
How do I find a kitten that will end up being that affectionate and
sweet - I didn't choose my other cat (really) I rescued her... I'm
looking for advice on what traits to look for in a kitten so I have
the personality i'm looking for. Is it possible????
Old February 13th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Hello,
First of all, if you get another cat/kitten, I would strongly
encourage you to keep him/her inside at all times. (Or you can leash
train her and take supervised "walks.") The outdoors is obviously not
a safe place to be, even if kitty has claws.

As for choosing a personality,this can be difficult. If you adopt at a
shelter, often times a cat who is very shy in the cage can be very
affectionate once in a home (and vice versa). My advice is to go to a
shelter, talk to the people there, and tell them what you're looking
for. They may be able to match you with an appropriate cat. Also,
browse the cages and see who "calls out" to you. I've read many
stories about how the cat chooses YOU. Keep your mind and heart open
and you'll find that special kitty.

Again, please, please keep any future cats indoors for their safety!

Rene
Old February 14th 09, 07:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:12:03 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

You could try looking on petfinder.org, and look for a cat or kitten who
is being fostered. You can talk to (or at least E-mail) the person who
is fostering a cat or kitten you are interested in, and ask about the
kitty's personality.

It's hard to really get to know a cat who has been kept in a cage; in
just a visit. They are traumatized, and their 'real' personality may
not show, until they have been in your home for some time.

In my area, most of the pet food stores hold adoption days, and,
depending on the organization, many of the cats may be in foster homes.

Look in the want ads on a Friday or Saturday, and call the organization,
and ask if the cats are in foster homes.

When I volunteered with a private no kill shelter, about half the cats
were in foster homes, and the people fostering them would be at the
adoption events, to answer questions about the cats.

And do look at the adult cats, not just kittens: their personality is
more 'fixed', so you can find out from the foster person what to expect!

Good luck! There are SO MANY cats that need a permanent home; I'm sure
you can find a sweet cat!

This is what I will do, when the time comes.
Old February 14th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
[...]

You have received very good advice from both Rene and Gandalf. In addition,
I would like to add this: In my opinion, you would be better off *not* to
start with a preconceived notion of what you want in a cat. Each of my cats
came along at "just the right time," for them and for me. Each of them was
a cat in need of a home, and none of them really fit what I had originally
"envisioned." Instead, I accepted them because they were there at the right
home and desperately needed to be adopted. And, guess what? Each of them
has been absolutely perfect for me! In each case, they became my loving
companions; and I would not have traded any of them for anything in the
world. By contrast, I have seen people--and read about some on the
newsgroups I follow--where a cat was adopted for certain preferred
characteristics, and that was followed by disappointment. In much the same
way as a parent does not set out to "choose" a personality but loves each
child separately, I think the same thing is true of our four-legged
families. And I truly do look at my furry twosome as family.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old February 14th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Rene S. exclaimed (2/13/2009 4:03 PM):
[...]

I'm one of those "cat chose you" folks. I went to the shelter (in this
case, the Cats Protection League in England), and was choosing the runt
in a litter of 6 black kittens that had been dumped with their mother
(also black) at the shelter.

I don't even remember what happened next, but somehow I chose another
littermate instead, eventually renamed Meep. Honestly, I think she used
some sort of mind control on me

Almost 13 years later, Meep is still using mind control on me And for
the record, she is 99% indoor - when we've lived where she can go
outside, it was only under supervision.

jmc
Old February 14th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wingnut

wrote:

[...]

Great advice all around, except it's petfinder.com, not .org. I got my dog
on Petfinder, and he's awesome. Both the kitties came from shelters, and
they're also incredible

Old February 14th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda Boucher

Hi
are you shore your cat is gone for good...
did you look for him or her the reason i am asking is
some people up the street from us took in a cat
last summer they thought was lost and they keep it until
january this year then they put a ad in the paper
and the owner saw it and came and took her cat home

Old February 14th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ken & Sandy

I have found that most of my most affectionate cats have been males. I
won't hold this to a science but it just has seemed that way. Currently I
have 6 cats, 2 males and they are the most loving. My female cats have
their moments, but the two males follow me around the house, are the first
on my lap or snuggling in bed with me. Secondly I wouldn't go out and get
a kitten. You can get a very affectionate and loving cat that is older from
a shelter. Go to the shelter, spend some time there in the cat room, pet
and play with the cats. One just might find YOU and want to take YOU home.
And yes, PLEASE keep your cat indoors. I know this is a
controversial topic, some people believe a cat shouldn't be indoors, but
they do have a lot longer life expectancy inside. Also, please do not
declaw cats if at all in the world possible.

Old February 15th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

wrote:
[...]

Just chiming in that I agree not to decide the personality you want, but
fall in love with who you end up with. You can get an idea of some cat's
personalities from visiting a shelter, but as others have said, some
will be very shy in the shelter but come out of their shell at home.
Also - kittens are tricky to determine their eventual personality. I
fostered a litter from their first day of birth, and kept 3 of them.
Their personalities constantly changed and evolved, over time different
ones emerged as dominant, or more of a lap cat, adventurer, etc. In your
situation I'd just find someone who seems generally agreeable wrt
personality, then let them become whoever - you'll fall just as much in
love with that IMO.
Old February 16th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

[...]

MaryL has some excellent thoughts. Two of ours were strays found as
kittens, and we chose to adopt them because the timing was right. The
third was adopted from a shelter. All three are lovable, wonderful
companions. As Ken & Sandy suggested, think about adopting an adult
from a shelter or petfinder.com. There are many great adults who are
often passed over due to the cuteness of kittens.