FIP

Old November 9th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rich

Default FIP

Does anyone know of a way of acquiring Feline Interferon Omega in the USA? I know its not approved, bot off-label? Imported?

Seems to be the little guy's best shot.

Rich
Old November 9th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Feline interferon-omega (Virbagen Omega, Virbac) has been used in Europe
and other parts of the world to treat FIP, but its efficacy is unknown. The
drug is currently not available in North America. This study evaluated the
efficacy of feline interferon-omega on the survival time and quality of life
in 37 privately owned cats with naturally occurring FIP. The study was
designed as a placebo-controlled double-blind trial. There was no
statistical difference in the survival time or other variables in cats
receiving feline interferon-omega compared to cats receiving placebo."

http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com...t-for-fip.html

I wouldn't waste your money trying to get this. I've heard of other studies
that came to the same conclusion, that Feline interferon-omega makes no
difference in the outcome.

I'm so sorry about your kitten. I've also lost a kitten to this disease.

Wendy

Old November 11th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rich

Default FIP - still interested in feline interferon omega

Thanks, but I'm still in the market for the feline interferon omega.

I tend to be mega-unimpressed with small group clinical testing.* They cannot control for a fraction of a percent of all the variables that could effect results. I was familiar with this study, and with only 37 cats, they could not have possibly factored in of co-factors of diet, environment, etc. They may well be right, but I'm not betting a possible extension of my cats limited life on it.

Sites that indicate good results:
http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm
http://thecatswhiskers.wordpress.com...in-a-nutshell/
http://vetinterferon.nexenservices.c...feron&lang=eng

Rich

*Someone may correct me on the drug, but I believe it was morphine that was originally considered a failure in early 20th century testing, resulting in it being rejected for use in WW1, and therefore resulting in tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. Problem is, they used dogs in the tests, and dogs are morphine intolerant. Tests were perfectly well done, but gave totally incorrect, and deadly, results.

Old November 11th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

You may want to get on the FIP Yahoo group. There are people there who are
quite knowledgeable on this subject.