eye discharge problem

Old January 19th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

Default eye discharge problem

My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. I
never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. I 'd clean them
and that would be that for several days. This has been going on for 7
years. Vet said it was normal for him.

Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to clean his
eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
know what color it is. About a month ago he had watery eyes. I took
him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. That has
cleared up.

A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. My male has not
been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
affectionate self ever since. I'm broken hearted about it, and I
think he is too. I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
emotionally related. The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. The
male will ocassionally sneeze. Maybe onceor twice a day at most.

I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. Is there
anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
spend another $100? He is otherwise just fine. Eats, sleeps and
plays. I have spent a small fortune since getting the female.
Between the adoption fees, the vet checkup for her. the vet for the
male's herpes I'm pretty much tapped out for this year. I'm retired.
My husband died last year and my income went down by half. I don't
want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
would never neglect my pets because of money.

What do you think?

Old January 19th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

There is an eye ointment that will help him that you can get at your vet.
Asshole.

Old January 19th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

Sneezing means he has a UTI and will need some clavamox, also available at
your vet. Don't have cats if you cannot afford simple vet care. You are not
doing them any favors. ALL of us have things we would rather spend money on.
They depend on you. Do the right thing. No money? Sell something on ebay,
borrow it from a friend or family member.

Old January 20th 10, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"YvonneD" wrote in message

I'm retired.
My husband died last year and my income went down by half. I don't
want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
would never neglect my pets because of money.

What do you think?

I highly recommend that you go to the senior citizen dances and pick up
another husband.....With any luck, you will find a nice widowed MD or even a
retired vet!

Old January 20th 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

On Jan 19, 8:32*am, YvonneD wrote:
[...]

Thank you both for your useless and tasteless responses.
Old January 23rd 10, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
harry

On Jan 20, 10:25*am, YvonneD wrote:
[...]

Thank you both for your useless and tasteless responses.- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

Your kittiy is losing his immune strength due to age,, and now things
will change dramatically, so now he needs you to help him walk to
those pearly gates:

Rhinotracheitis Virus and Calicivirus:

“Can future infections occur in spite of vaccinations?

Many cats that have infections due to the rhinotracheitis virus or the
calicivirus will become carriers. These cats are typically well, but
they will have recurrence of sneezing. Cats with the calicivirus
constantly shed virus, and those with the rhinotracheitis only shed
when stressed.” http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/uri.html

Feline Vaccinations
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/vaccinations.html

Aspergillosis in Cats
http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2134&aid=232

I have two Snow Tiger kitties: the sweet, friendly female, with
surprisingly, soft, silky fur, has the nose infection, but is hard to
medicate, so I wear out after a while, knowing it is not going to help
anyway.- the male, Freckles, who I have to beg to let me pet him, is
ok so far. As all the kitties, when feeling poorly, SnowAngel,
incessantly wants to sit on me, and snort her snot on me . . .
YYYYUUUUUK.

Truly

Truth will set you free: John 8:32
Old January 25th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

The cat may have been carrying the herpes virus around with him for years if
not most of his life. Stress can cause an outbreak. That is probably what is
accounting for the increase in the buildup in the eye and the occasional
sneezing. If the cat is still eating well, the sneezing is only occasional
and there is no discharge I wouldn't further upset the kitty with another
visit to the vet at this point. If it's a mild herpes outbreak the
antibiotics won't do squat unless there is a secondary bacterial infection
as well.

If there is any congestion, runny nose or eyes or the cat isn't eating
well - any one of them - then you need to get the cat to the vet.

Old February 1st 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

On Jan 25, 3:03*pm, "Wendy" wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. His eyes are looking better. He had a herpes outbreak
shortly after I brought the new cat home. There is no question that
having this new kitty around has been stressful for him. He's had
nine years of my undivided attention and now there's a little spitfire
running around. Even I'm stressed!
Old February 1st 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"YvonneD" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 3:03 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote in message

[...]

Once he realizes that you aren't going to replace him, but are going to keep
both him and the new cat, he will learn to accept it, and even like and play
with it........

Old February 7th 10, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

"cybercat" cyberpurrs yahoo.com wrote:

"YvonneD" googlemail2003 yahoo.com wrote

[...]

So you did not get the attention you were seeking after your first
insults, JudgMental, so you replied to your own post. You are
seriously depraved.

From: "cybercat" cyberpurrs yahoo.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: eye discharge problem