My cat sprays in neighbors' houses

Old August 30th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Desperate

Default My cat sprays in neighbors' houses

Help!

Went to a neighborhood event Sunday and learned, to my horror, that my
male, spayed, 4-5 year old cat has been spraying in 2 houses.

The 2 neighbors didn't bring up the matter; it just developed in
conversation. I feel absolutely SICK! Wish they had TOLD me!

Neighbor #1 says that my cat is over there alll the time! He sneaks
in whenever she leaves the door open and sometimes gets locked in when
she goes out, not realizing he's inside. He has pee'd on her couch and
sprayed on her drapes.

Long ago, she mentioned that my cat visits often, and gets on her bed
with her cat. I was horrified, but she said they seem to enjoy each
other's company. So there was no cause for alarm.

Now, it looks like my cat has taken advantage of her
welcoming/passive/whatever attitude to start camping out there.
She says she likes him, but major reprogramming is needed here,
seems to me.

I suggested she turn the hose on him. It's only water; unpleasant but
not harmful. After a few such "welcomes" he might get the idea. But
she's in a 2nd floor apt; can't access hose. She suggested spray
bottle. I concurred, urging good strong spray.

What to add to the water? I have heard cats don't like citrus, esp.
oranges. I'm thinking of grinding up orange peels, straining, and
giving her the concentrate to add to spray bottle. What else --
repellent but not harmful?

Yes, I will ask the vet why cat has started spraying. I can hardly
afford another visit, when he just had his annual physical, but...

Thanks for any comments; ideas...

Desperate

Old August 31st 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Veloise

Desperate wrote:
Went to a neighborhood event Sunday and learned, to my horror, that my
male, spayed, 4-5 year old cat has been spraying in 2 houses.

Yes, I will ask the vet why cat has started spraying. I can hardly
afford another visit, when he just had his annual physical, but...

He's staking a claim, marking (literally) his territory. "You let me
in, and this place is now MINE!"

If the neighbors don;t want him doing that, they should not let him in.

Perhaps he can enjoy playdates outdoors.

HTH

--Karen D.
2 girl kitties; they sometimes spray too!

Old September 1st 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Amthyst826

A little vinegar or Tabasco added to the water won't hurt the cat but
will make a memorable experience. Which ever causes the strongest
reaction in the cat is best. You can also wipe the threshold of the
door he is entering through with the same ingredient. Cat's noses
are sensitive, it doesn't have to be so much that the house smells of
it, just enough to reinforce what the water bottle means.

This one is a little off the wall, but it seriously worked for me.
The door to the patio through the garage swings into the garage and we
leave that open. At a right angle to that door, is the patio gate
which sits about 12" off the ground. I mentally painted a stripe in a
quarter circle from the outside of the gate, to the outside of the door
into the garage. This became the "No Zone" Princess gets to come out
on the patio, but must stay on the patio, not in the garage, and not
out the gate.

I keep reinforcing the "No Zone" by looking at it and painting the line
with my mind. If she advances towards the zone, I tell her "No" If
she persists, she is taken back into the house and can not come out
again that day. After about two weeks, she figured it out. From that
point on, all I had to say was "No" and she would either sit down and
watch the area for a moment, or turn her back and walk away. This
isn't yelling, stomping or startling the cat.

If you and your neighbor both paint a "No Zone" at the threshold of the
door your cat uses to gain entry, you may be able to dissuade him even
more.

Good Luck (") (")
'Chelle

p.s. Setting the precedence with the "No Zone" has worked in other
aspects too. Anytime she is doing anything that is "wrong" I can tell
her "No" and she stops. If I'm driving with her and she tries to get
into my lap, I tell her "No" and she sits back down on the seat (she is
terribly claustrophobic which is why she isn't in a carrier) I've
mopped the kitchen and she is about to pad across it, "No" and she sits
at the edge or walks away.