Am I feeding enough?

Old November 19th 04, 07:36 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
om...

Assuming Nuetered cats
5kg (11 pounds) needs 284 kcals per day
7kg (15.4 pounds) needs 366 kcals per day
8kg (17.6 pounds) needs 404 kcals per day
9kg (19.8 pounds) needs 442 kcals per day
10kg (22 pounds) needs 478 kcals per day

snip

How about for Neutered inactive cats? My cat has been on a diet for more
than two years and has lost only 2.5 pounds, or thereabouts. She's about 12
lbs now, and I've been feeding her what I think is the calorie requirement
for a 9 lb inactive neutered cat--about 170kcal based on 18.9kcal/lb. I got
the info from Phil P's site but sometimes I wonder if she's getting enough
food. It seems like so little!

rona

Old November 19th 04, 09:08 AM
Ashley

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

How about for Neutered inactive cats? My cat has been on a diet for more
than two years and has lost only 2.5 pounds, or thereabouts. She's about
12
lbs now, and I've been feeding her what I think is the calorie requirement
for a 9 lb inactive neutered cat--about 170kcal based on 18.9kcal/lb. I
got
the info from Phil P's site but sometimes I wonder if she's getting enough
food. It seems like so little!

And so, you've answered your own question about why she's lost less than you
think she has :-)

Old November 26th 04, 08:43 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message

That's why I use filler with my dog. She can gain weight on so little,
and she would gulp her food and watch the others eat. She was very
unhappy. By reducing the kibble a little more and adding in the green
beans, she ended up with a satisfying meal, and she maintains at a
decent weight.

I've been thinking of switching her dry food to a diet food--which I know is
more filler but she needs volume, not calories! She eats a combination of
dry and wet food right now. She'd eat only wet if she could, but the dry
helps keep her full longer. She's a relatively inactive cat. She doesn't
run around and play, or chase balls. That's one of the reasons I have to be
very careful with her food.

My mother just picked her up from her vacation home (what I call the kitty
"kennel" where she stays when mom's away) and is sure she's fatter than
usual. At her vacation home, she sneaks into other cats' kennels and eats
all their food (during the day the cats are allowed to mix and mingle).
The activities director (ie kennel owner) tries to keep Kitty out of other
kennels, but there's only so much she can do. Kitty is a sneaky one when it
comes to food!

rona

--

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We had
people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy to go
---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Old November 26th 04, 02:47 PM

I've been thinking of switching her dry
food to a diet food--which I know is more
filler but she needs volume, not calories!
She eats a combination of dry and wet
food right now. She'd eat only wet if she
could, but the dry helps keep her full
longer.

No, it doesn't. If you want your cat to lose weight you need to get her
off dry food completely, feed her scheduled meals (every 12 hours) of a
high quality canned food, calculate how many calories she needs to
maintain her weight, then reduce that amount by about 30% to induce
weight loss. Canned food is in most cases less calories per cup than
dry, so the cat can eat more and feel fuller. It is also more digestable
and the cats get more out of a meat based diet, where dry is full of
fillers and the cat will not utilize it as well. Rene's story of Tucker
is a perfect example of the failure of "diet" dry foods and how
successful a good quality canned diet can be:
http://community.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 26th 04, 04:45 PM
Mary

wrote in message
[...]

I want to add that my Buddha got fatter once I put her on
"diet" dry food. She just ate more of it. Once I started feeding
her canned food twice a day she actually left her dry food in the bowl.
(Prior to that she sucked down everything edible asap.) Now we
give her maybe one-quarter of a cup in sprinkles throughout the
day, and only if she bugs us.