cat's urine sample

Old December 10th 03, 11:47 AM
andr0meda

Default cat's urine sample

Xena is still on antibiotics and prescription diet. For another two weeks,
after her second urine sample showed less crystals, but still crystals in
there.
I have learned a few things but getting a urine sample.
I am ready to share my knowledge about catching a sample. Would anyone want
to know, how?
Regards,
Andr0

Old December 10th 03, 01:37 PM
Al Kondo

I am interested in knowing how you got the sample. I have a couple of
kittens and want to regularly test the ph of their urine so I can head
off future problems.

Al Kondo

Old December 11th 03, 10:32 AM
andr0meda

Hi Al Kondo,
Sorry it took me so long to answer; it's the time difference - I am in the
'country of Oz'.
As to the sample:
The only difficult thing is to know when your cat is going to pee. This is
why I always advocate that every domestic cat should have a litter tray.
Many people think they are so smart; their cat does it in the garden. They
may be lucky - if it is particularly resistant to urinary tract diseases.
Once you can see your cat approaching the litter box, it is a piece of cake!
If you want to get a sample, all you need is to is to be prepared and ready:
You need to have: a clean, sterilized container (your vet will give you one;
I crashed mine so I had to use something else. I use small glass jam,
mustard etc. jars - they just need to be well washed, and I disinfected them
by scorching inside with boiling water.
Next thing you need is something flexible and possibly nearly flat to catch
the urine into. I use a takeaway container that is microwavable. Again, very
clean and scorched with boiling water. I have these items ready near the
litter box.
When I want a sample, I move the litter box so that it is as much
approachable from all around as possible.
Once your cat approaches the box, and gets ready to pee, you have just
enough time to grab the 'catch tray' (e.g.. takeaway container). Wait till
your cat starts peeing. Put your 'catch tray' under its bum and...catch it!
once the cat starts the business, it won't stop till it's done.
Once you have it, transfer it straitaway into the sample bottle. Give it a
few minutes to cool, then put in the fridge if you have hours before seeing
the vet. A sample will hold in the fridge for about 24 hours.
*Additional hints: Since you have kittens, they may respond to training that
Xena and I gave each other: I used to praise her heaps for using the litter
tray. She in turn wanted to please me, and thought, that the best idea to
get me to know how well she has done, was to call me when she was ready to
make a 'deposit'. It often happens in the best part of a movie, and not
during a commercial break, but I am glad she calls me at all. Kittens learn
quickly, so praise them heaps, and they may use them same tactic to train
you.
** Hint number two: Cats usually use their box soon after a meal. Just lurk
around after their dinner and...follow them.
***Cats usually don't mind if you are present while they pee.
Good Luck!
Andr0 & ^^

Old December 11th 03, 01:42 PM
Al Kondo

Thanks for the tips on retrieving urine from my kittens. Both are
litter trained and are full-time house kittens. Therefore, I am
familiar with their habits. As you mentioned, I too have noticed
that they tend to use the litter tray shortly after a meal.

Your tip on catching their pee when they start doing it was
surprising. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they will continue
once they start.... so placing a plate under them will not cause them
to stop. I just wouldn't have thought of that.

Thanks for the tips. I will use them as I try to regularly measure
the ph of their urine.

Al Kondo

Old December 11th 03, 02:40 PM

Give it a few minutes to cool, then put in
the fridge if you have hours before seeing
the vet. A sample will hold in the fridge for
about 24 hours.

A urine sample can start developing crystals in as little as 20 minutes
and can skew the results of a urinalysis. I don't ever recommend taking
a sample at home unless you go straight out the door to the vet. The
best sample is one taken directly from the bladder using a syringe.

Also, since Xena has had recurring problems with UTI's why are you
feeding dry food which greatly reduces her water intake? She should be
on a strictly canned diet. There has been plenty of discussion on the
group before regarding this and you should be able easily find helpful
references in the google archives using the terms "urinary tract canned
food" and "dry food water intake."

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old December 11th 03, 10:56 PM
Phil P.

"andr0meda" wrote in message

Many people think they are so smart; their cat does it in the garden. They
may be lucky - if it is particularly resistant to urinary tract diseases.

This is not such a good idea - especially if you have a male cat. Its
absolutely imperative that you actually *see* your cat eliminate at least
once a day - otherwise you won't know if your cat is straining to urinate or
defecate which can indicate constipation or a urinary tract obstruction -
which can be fatal to a male cat. A urinary tract obstruction produces a
pathophysiologic state equivalent to oliguric acute renal failure.

Wait till
your cat starts peeing. Put your 'catch tray' under its bum and...catch

it!
once the cat starts the business, it won't stop till it's done.

This method is good only if you're checking pH or if the sample will be
examined for cyrstals within 30 minutes. This collection method is
unreliable for detection of bacteria and if the sample will be cultured due
to the likelyhood of contamination. Urine that will examined for bacteria
and cultured should be collected via cystocentesis (needle) to avoid
contamination with bacteria that normally inhabit the distal urinary tract.
Its possible to establish the absence, but not the presence, of a UTI with
urine collected by your method.

Once you have it, transfer it straitaway into the sample bottle. Give it a
few minutes to cool, then put in the fridge if you have hours before

seeing
the vet.

This is incorrect. If the sample will be examined for crystals, its
imperative that absolutely fresh urine be examined. If the urine sample is
allowed to stand and cool before its examined, crystals can form in the
sample, and/or the number of crystals already in the sample can greatly
increase -- this is called "in vitro crystallization", and will render the
sample practically useless and yield erroneous results -- which can lead to
prescribing inappropiate medication or an incorrect diet that than lead more
serious problems.

A sample will hold in the fridge for about 24 hours.

24 hours is way too long -- false-negative cultures can occur when a urine
sample is refrigerated for 12 hours -- depending on the bacterial species
in the urine -- or if the sample is allowed to freeze.

I appreciate your well-meant intentions. However, you might to research
your ideas a bit more before sharing them.

Phil.