cat's urine sample

Old December 16th 03, 06:14 PM
~*SooZy*~

"andr0meda" wrote in message
Xena is still on antibiotics and prescription diet. For another two weeks,
after her second urine sample showed less crystals, but still crystals in
there.
I have learned a few things but getting a urine sample.
I am ready to share my knowledge about catching a sample. Would anyone

want
to know, how?
Regards,
Andr0

well my vet gives us some special litter, we empty the box wash it out, put
the small bag of litter in it the cat uses it and we take the litter to the
vets in the little bag it comes in... easy :-)

before that I just used a few sheets of paper in a clean empty litter box,

Old December 19th 03, 02:07 AM
GovtLawyer

When I want a sample, I move the litter box so that it is as much
approachable from all around as possible.
Once your cat approaches the box, and gets ready to pee, you have just
enough time to grab the 'catch tray' (e.g.. takeaway container). Wait till
your cat starts peeing. Put your 'catch tray' under its bum and...catch it!
once the cat starts the business, it won't stop till it's done.

I have a much simpler way. Clean the litter box and replace the kitty litter
with shredded paper, not too much, just enough to fill the bottom and give the
kitty a sense of having something to cover its waste. Put a few magazines
under one end of the box so that one end is higher. When you kitty goes to the
box leave her alone. When she leaves, the urine will have settled down at the
lower end of the box. Use a syringe to draw some of it up for collection.

Old December 19th 03, 10:18 AM
~*SooZy*~

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
[...]

yes that basically how I used to do it, but with plain paper as some inks
used in magazines can ruin the sample.

I must say using the special litter the vet sells is much easier though, as
one of my cats would not wee in the box with paper in it.