A warning before you euthanize your cat. (sorry--it is long)

Old February 8th 04, 10:09 PM
MacCandace

She slipped away peacefully, but it was still devastating because I so
wanted her to know I was right there by her side until the very end no
matter what, but I'll never know if she knew I was there.

I'm very, very sorry, Megan. Natasha and Saide were truly lucky girls.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)
Old February 9th 04, 12:36 PM
Wendy

"Sunflower" wrote in message

"AJ" wrote in message
om...
Hi
My first time posting here, but I need to say something that might
prevent others from having the sad experience I had yesterday
regarding our wonderful cat, Merlin.

Snip painful story

AJ, what you went through was very traumatic and I'm sorry. You had the bad
luck of being one of the few that expereience a problem with euthanasia.
What sounds like happened is that your cat was dehydrated somewhat from his
illness. Dehydrated animals are very hard to find veins on. Unfortunately,
not enough education goes on in vet schools about exactly what to do in a
problem situation involving euthanasia, and I'll bet this was the first time
your vet has been confronted with it himself, despite having been in
practice for a while. Or, maybe he was reluctant to go to the abdominal
method immediately, because that sometimes causes the owners more stress
than the cat. Either an intramuscular or interabdominal shot of a small
portion of the euthanasia solution would have allowed your cat to become
unconscious. (Cats have their eyes open when sedated, so don't fear that
the animal wasn't "asleep" when he finally passed.) Then, as your animal
was difficult to get a vein on, the vet should have explained to you than an
intracardial stick now that the animal was sedated would be the quickest and
most peaceful route for your animal to go. The direct shot to the heart is
not something vets really enjoy doing, much less in front of a pet's owner,
but it would have been a lot better than many attempts to find a vein.
Again, your experience is atypical. But, that doesn't resolve your vet of
the responsibility of communication with you and he should have talked with
you and reassessed the situation after the second attempt to find a vein.
As I said, euthanasia doesn't receive much coverage in vet school, and
sometimes vets need additional training in their people skills and
communication as well.

Do rest assured that your animal *was* asleep when the fatal dose was
administered. He was probably dreaming of the good times with you.

I had a similar thought about difficulty finding a good vein.

Like others have already said, don't beat yourself up over this. You did
what you thought was best. Sometimes they just don't go easily but I believe
this to be the exception not the rule.
My Ralf would have had it easier if I had never taken him to the vet at all.
He was quietly near death when he got there. They had to start an IV which
I'm sure wasn't easy as he was extremely dehydrated. When that kicked in he
started having hallucinations and throwing himself around the cage. Then he
started having breathing problems. When we finally put him down they didn't
have a problem getting a vein as he already had that set up from the IV but
he didn't go quietly. He cried. I don't know if he knew I was there with him
or not. I just have to believe that wherever our beloved pets go they get a
peek back to know that we were there for them at the end and were only doing
the best we could.

T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
Warning: LONG STORY, but I need advice Mischief Cat anecdotes 30 February 27th 04 06:40 PM
Thank You from BlueBird........(long..... sorry) BlueBird Cat anecdotes 2 December 27th 03 01:23 PM