Thank You All

Old November 6th 03, 05:28 AM
Aimee S

Default Thank You All

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my question about taming
a feral kitten, you were all very helpful and gave me some great idea's.
I wasn't able to trap her today, she's a smart little thing, I have a
trap, she managed to eat the food, without hitting the trip on the trap.
I will try again tomorrow.

Thank's again so very much,

Aimee

Old November 6th 03, 05:50 AM
Chris

Try heated (microwave) tuna fish-the really cheap kind in water--they seem
to really get drawn to that. Also sometimes kitten is too light to trip the
trap.... If you can stand near it--you can block the exit when she goes in
& her running around in trap will trip it. Throw a towel over it when she
is trapped--that would settle her down a little but be prepared for heart
wrenching wails!!!! Good luck--the success I'm sure you'll have will make
the trials & tribulations well worth it...

Old November 6th 03, 06:32 AM

Aimee wrote:

I wasn't able to trap her today, she's a
smart little thing, I have a trap, she
managed to eat the food, without hitting
the trip on the trap. I will try again
tomorrow.

Use a folded newspaper (longways) to put in the bottom of the trap so it
covers the trip plate. This will keep the kitten from seeing it and
stepping over it. Then find yourself a rock that's heavy, but not enough
to trip the trap and place it on the trip plate to one side. The
kitten's extra weight when she steps on the trip plate should be enough
to trip the trap. Also, do not use anything larger than a peanut butter
jar cap to put the food in and push it so it is touching the very back
of the trap.

Once the kitten is trapped cover it immediately and DO NOT try to remove
the kitten until it is at the vet (I'm assuming you are taking her to
one directly?) This really is necessary for the kitten to get vet
checked right away, but if there is a delay (you can keep her in the
trap for up to a day if need be) and you need to transfer her to a cage,
make sure to wear welding gloves and remove any breakables from the room
in case she escapes before being transferred.

While taming her you need to keep her in a large dog cage. Allowing her
the free run of a bedroom or house will greatly inhibit your ability to
tame her as she will have plenty of opportunities to run and hide. You
need to keep her in a situation where she cannot do that. For more
information here is a great article on how to tame ferals:
http://www.campuscats.org/articles/tiger.html

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke