Dry Diet Food for Senior Cats

Old August 1st 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

Default Dry Diet Food for Senior Cats

"cybercat" wrote in message

||| You are making the claims tat it is ridiculous?
||| prove that it's not
||| Dried *quality* cat food has more nutrients vitamins than
||| unsupplemented canned food.
|| Where in the third world are you that you can find unsupplemented
|| canned cat food?

Italy?
Many canned foods are imported from many places
I'm in Australia which imports cat food from places like Thailand and have
no supplements added,
Not that this will harm a cat.
The fact is modern dried cat food has all Vitamins protein etc for a healthy
cat

--
Petzl

Old August 1st 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Petzl" wrote in message ...
"cybercat" wrote in message

||| You are making the claims tat it is ridiculous?
||| prove that it's not
||| Dried *quality* cat food has more nutrients vitamins than
||| unsupplemented canned food.
|| Where in the third world are you that you can find unsupplemented
|| canned cat food?

Italy?
Many canned foods are imported from many places
I'm in Australia which imports cat food from places like Thailand and have
no supplements added,
Not that this will harm a cat.
The fact is modern dried cat food has all Vitamins protein etc for a

healthy
cat

Well, that is just sad. For your cats.

Old August 1st 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

"cybercat" wrote in message

[Snip]
||| Italy?
||| Many canned foods are imported from many places
||| I'm in Australia which imports cat food from places like Thailand
||| and have no supplements added,
||| Not that this will harm a cat.
||| The fact is modern dried cat food has all Vitamins protein etc for
||| a healthy cat
|| Well, that is just sad. For your cats.

Not according to those who know about cats and cat nutrition
http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/l...d.wmv/play.asx
(a reasonable summery about Pet food but is a "infomercial" for "Life's
Abundance Premium Health Food for Cats" )
I have 2 alley cats one's 20 and the other is near 24 both active and appear
healthy

Old August 3rd 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ol' Bab

Default Dry Diet Food -but all that cornmeal?!??

I've checked (I think all) the dry food at my giant
supermarket, and EVERY brand had corn meal as the first
ingredient. You open the bag, and the first odor out is corn.
Crazy? or is it? Has this come up? what's the science on
(or against) this? Seems unreal, a triumph of profit over logic.

I would hope the "professional" products do it better -I
didn't check any.

Ol' Bab, first on staff for Butterscotch.

"Wendy" wrote in message

|| "RHPT" wrote in message
||| I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
||| recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
||| 8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?

Petzl replied:
Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
Your cat will decide what it likes best though and either quality food type
canned or dry is adequate

Old August 3rd 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

Ol' Bab wrote:
I've checked (I think all) the dry food at my giant
supermarket, and EVERY brand had corn meal as the first
ingredient. You open the bag, and the first odor out is corn.
Crazy? or is it? Has this come up? what's the science on
(or against) this? Seems unreal, a triumph of profit over logic.

I would hope the "professional" products do it better -I
didn't check any.

Ol' Bab, first on staff for Butterscotch.

Dry food is a totally inappropriate diet for a carnivore. If your cat
will eat it, you're better off to feed a good canned food.

Good article: http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

Old August 3rd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

Petzl wrote:I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of Yakult
(tablespoon
around once a month) Make a noticeable improvment to older cats in
Particular

Giving a cat lactobacillus only once a month isn't going to do squat.

Old August 3rd 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

Petzl wrote:

Not according to those who know about cats and cat nutrition
http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/l...d.wmv/play.asx
(a reasonable summery about Pet food but is a "infomercial" for "Life's
Abundance Premium Health Food for Cats" )
I have 2 alley cats one's 20 and the other is near 24 both active and appear
healthy

Geez, it's a video made by a groomer. This is your source of
information? I highly recommend you read Dr. Zoran's excellent article
on the nutritional needs of a cat, who is an obligate carnivore.
Getting your information from an infomercial from a petfood company is
not the best way to learn.

LAUREN

Old August 4th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
oups.com
|| Petzl wrote:I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of
|| Yakult (tablespoon
||| around once a month) Make a noticeable improvment to older cats in
||| Particular
|| Giving a cat lactobacillus only once a month isn't going to do squat.

One can try it and notice, particularly on older cats (My two are over 20)
Many cat foods contain lactobacillus I have not seen this on Sydney shelves
though
I only give it to my cats if I notice bad breath and this is not often (once
a month is more than required in my case)
They both seem more energetic afterwards
--
Petzl

Old August 4th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

Petzl wrote:
"PawsForThought" wrote in message
oups.com
|| Petzl wrote:I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of
|| Yakult (tablespoon
||| around once a month) Make a noticeable improvment to older cats in
||| Particular
|| Giving a cat lactobacillus only once a month isn't going to do squat.

One can try it and notice, particularly on older cats (My two are over 20)
Many cat foods contain lactobacillus I have not seen this on Sydney shelves
though
I only give it to my cats if I notice bad breath and this is not often (once
a month is more than required in my case)
They both seem more energetic afterwards

I'm not saying that lactobacillus or acidopholis isn't helpful, but I
just can't believe that only giving it once a month would do anything.
I would think on a more regular basis would be better. I also wonder
of the effects of it when it's put into petfood. I would think the
live cultures would be cooked out of it. I think giving it as an added
supplement, or even feeding a tablespoon or so of yogurt would be more
beneficial.

Lauren

Old August 4th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I am not a proponent of any senior/diet pet foods.
They restrict calories by using inferior grains instead of high quality
proteins, so the cats eat and eat because their bodies are crying for real
nutrition.

I would suggest a high quality wet food (or dry if you must) given twice a
day in carefully managed portions.
I would further suggest that you get these cats moving- eight years old is a
long way from old in my book. Do whatever they enjoy as far as playing or
climbing- I'd even feed on top of a cat tree to force them to do some
climbing daily.

It's no different that people- portion control plus increased physical
activity. You need to find a way to get them interested in moving again.

I agree with Toni. I tried the "prescription" diet foods with no
success. I had wonderful success wtih Wellness canned (no fillers or
grains in it), but there are other high-quality brands out there. A
commercial raw diet, such as Nature's Variety, is a great option too.
Since I've switched my cats to it, they burn more calories than even on
the canned.

Rene