Away for a few days ....

Old October 13th 04, 10:49 PM
Cathi

Default Away for a few days ....

.... So cats have been instructed to purr for all those in need. They're
going to a new cattery - old one weren't happy to administer jabs. I
can understand their point of view - I wasn't exactly happy about it
first time!

See you all in a few days,
--
Cathi

Old October 15th 04, 10:19 PM
polonca12000

Have a great time!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 15th 04, 10:19 PM
polonca12000

Have a great time!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 15th 04, 10:19 PM
polonca12000

Have a great time!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 17th 04, 05:47 PM
Cathi

Apparently, he was a model patient, and took his jabs perfectly happily.

For those of you who don't know, Jasper (our 7-y-o black neutered DSH
male) was diagnosed as being diabetic this summer. A week of special
diabetic food brought his sugars down a bit, but not enough, so we're
now into a routine of insulin shots night and morning.

The first couple of days were *horrible*. No problem in getting him to
have his jabs, but his behaviour afterwards was very peculiar. He'd get
himself behind things and under things and have no idea how to get out,
despite them being obstacles he'd encountered a hundred times before
with no problem. The vet likened it to a human having consumed way too
much Scotch. If Jasper wanted to get from one space to another, he
wouldn't go the obvious, direct route, but would skirt walls and
furniture to give him bearings. He'd blunder into things as if he'd not
seen them.

Then we had the collapses. Basically, his blood sugars had plummeted
too low, and his legs had about as much strength as overcooked
spaghetti. Seeing my formerly active, healthy boy sprawled out on the
kitchen floor, unable to move an inch, was heartbreaking. However, our
wonderful vet had prepared us for such eventualities by telling us to
administer a strong solution of sugar in water by mouth. Within ten
minutes Jasper was up on his feet again, albeit gingerly. We had a
couple of episodes where he just couldn't walk, and a few where he was a
tad unsteady on his feet; sugar water cured them all.

Over the course of the next week his insulin was reduced quite
drastically, and his condition improved immeasurably. The first
weekend, when he was so off-colour, I had visions of him never going
outside again (he's a very active cat by nature, and an accomplished
hunter). The following weekend, he brought us a mouse to say thank-you
for looking after him ;-)

And now his sugars are perfect! We do have to watch his eating habits;
he's given to stealing Carrie's food if given the chance, and will
scrounge shamelessly if I'm cooking. We can't afford to let him get
overweight; that will just bring another set of problems.

But at the moment all seems rosy :-)
--
Cathi