do cats need to get teeth pulled?

Old December 7th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
miko

Default do cats need to get teeth pulled?

i have a 3 year old cat and the vet said he needs 7 teeth
pulled,,under general anesthesia.

i am not comfortable with vets putting pets under. i have lost two
cats after leaving them at a vet hospital.

the vet gave me the standard line "poor teeth ache like humans". well
i believe animals in the animal kingdom live with such minor issues
and that tooth aches are a decidedly human issue. all of my cats have
had bad teeth at some point and time. couple that with my concern
about having my cat being put under, the lack of faith i have in vet
"surgeons/doctors", and i'd like to ask you all what you think.

understand,,,it's the process of general anesthesia i am concerned
about.

Old December 7th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
miko

On Dec 7, 12:51 am, "cybercat" wrote:

lol

hmmmm. i'll take that under consideration.

Old December 7th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"miko" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 12:51 am, "cybercat" wrote:

lol

hmmmm. i'll take that under consideration.

Have you ever had a tooth ache?

Do you think cats have less nerves in their mouths?

Take your animal to the vet and have his teeth taken care of and spare us
the rationalizations for not spending the money. Or put your cat into the
care of someone with some sense and compassion. Jesus.

Old December 7th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
miko

On Dec 7, 2:26 am, "cybercat" wrote:

Have you ever had a tooth ache?

Do you think cats have less nerves in their mouths?

Take your animal to the vet and have his teeth taken care of and spare us
the rationalizations for not spending the money. Or put your cat into the
care of someone with some sense and compassion. Jesus.

cyberC,,,are you an incredible dumbass or is it you just friggin'
can't read!

Old December 7th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 21:45:56 -0800 (PST), miko
wrote:

i have a 3 year old cat and the vet said he needs 7 teeth
pulled,,under general anesthesia.

i am not comfortable with vets putting pets under. i have lost two
cats after leaving them at a vet hospital.

the vet gave me the standard line "poor teeth ache like humans". well
i believe animals in the animal kingdom live with such minor issues
and that tooth aches are a decidedly human issue. all of my cats have
had bad teeth at some point and time. couple that with my concern
about having my cat being put under, the lack of faith i have in vet
"surgeons/doctors", and i'd like to ask you all what you think.

understand,,,it's the process of general anesthesia i am concerned
about.

Cats do need teeth pulled sometimes since, besides pain which they do
feel but hide, resulting infections can kill them. I don't know why
seven at one time on a three year old cat though. Were there symptoms
that caused you to bring the cat to the vet?

General anesthesia is a real cause for concern but of course most
animals recover just fine. There are different kinds that are used but
it has definitely gotten safer over the years. Google General
Anesthesia Cats and you'll find plenty to read. I've had several cats,
including very sick ones, tolerate anesthesia very well. Or, at least,
they lived through it.

I adopted one very elderly cat with major mouth problems and had to
have all of her teeth pulled. Many were broken off below the gum line.
If that tough old bitch made it through (Jackie for those that
remember her), then your cat should also.

So, two questions. Why do seven teeth need to be pulled? and, Do you
have reason to believe that this vet isn't too good with anesthesia?
Maybe even one more question. My vet didn't have experience with that
kind of dental surgery and I couldn't even take her to my "normal"
specialty vet because they didn't have a dentist. I had to take her to
the specialty vet that did have a dental program. Is your vet also a
dentist?

It was worth the money when Jackie started eating and seeming to be
happy.
Old December 7th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Dec 6, 11:45 pm, miko wrote:
i have a 3 year old cat and the vet said he needs 7 teeth
pulled,,under general anesthesia.

i am not comfortable with vets putting pets under. i have lost two
cats after leaving them at a vet hospital.

Any anesthesia carries some risk, for pets and people. When it comes
to tooth problems, though, where are many reasons why you *should*
have this taken care of. One obvious reason is pain control for the
animal. A pet whose teeth hurt won't want to eat, may drool, or
otherwise act uncomfortable. Second, the teeth can can become infected
and the infection can travel through the body. Third, the tartar can
travel through the body and go to the heart and/or kidneys. (This is
also the case for humans. There have been a series of ads on tv about
this very thing.)

I know it's a bit scary, but if it were my cat I would take the risk
and have this done. If you are not comfortable with this vet, get
copies of your records and go elsewhere.
Old December 7th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ron Herfurth

"miko" wrote in message
i have a 3 year old cat and the vet said he needs 7 teeth
pulled,,under general anesthesia.

i am not comfortable with vets putting pets under. i have lost two
cats after leaving them at a vet hospital.

the vet gave me the standard line "poor teeth ache like humans". well
i believe animals in the animal kingdom live with such minor issues
and that tooth aches are a decidedly human issue. all of my cats have
had bad teeth at some point and time. couple that with my concern
about having my cat being put under, the lack of faith i have in vet
"surgeons/doctors", and i'd like to ask you all what you think.

understand,,,it's the process of general anesthesia i am concerned
about.

Did those cats have gas or a shot? My vet changed over to gas several years
ago, I think because it was safer. She also offers pre anesthesia blood work
for older cats. Since the gas is more expensive than a shot and safer I
usually pass on the blood work, unless I want blood wokr to look into other
symptoms.

If you've lost 2 there maybe its time for a new vet.

I have several older cats with few or no teeth. I feel really bad for them
but at Least I know there not haveing tooth aches and they seem to eat ok.

ron

Old December 7th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

[...]

There are times when cats do need teeth pulled. I just had to get 4
pulled on my 16 year old "Kitty". Afterwards her bad breath was gone
and she ate better then before.

If you have questions about this vet try another and get a second
opinion. I have done that several times and have found that the first
is usually right. The only thing I do though is I do not tell the
second what the first said until I get the second opinion and then if
he says something different I tell them about first opinion but
usually the second has, up until now, given pretty much the same
opinion as the first.

Good luck and prayers and purrs are heading you way.

Old December 7th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

i have a 3 year old cat and the vet said he needs 7 teeth
pulled,,under general anesthesia.

i am not comfortable with vets putting pets under. i have lost two
cats after leaving them at a vet hospital.

the vet gave me the standard line "poor teeth ache like humans". well
i believe animals in the animal kingdom live with such minor issues
and that tooth aches are a decidedly human issue. all of my cats
have had bad teeth at some point and time. couple that with my
concern about having my cat being put under, the lack of faith i have
in vet "surgeons/doctors", and i'd like to ask you all what you
think.

understand,,,it's the process of general anesthesia i am concerned
about.

I find it unusual for a 3 year old to need teeth removed, let alone 7 of
them. All of mine have had teeth removed when they are older, but I would
get another opinion if it were my 3 year old cat.

Bobble