Cats and winter cold

Old November 25th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Smith

Default Cats and winter cold

Hi All -

If this is answered in an FAQ (I couldn't find one), please let me know
where I can find the FAQs.

I have a Himalayan cat and live in the Sacramento Valley.

The cat likes to be outside 95% of the time and sleeps in the (unheated)
garage.

It gets down below freezing during the night in the winter, and I'm
concerned whether that is too cold and how to keep the cat warm.

I have a pets' heating pad (similar to a human's heating pad, but not as
warm) that the cat stays on at night, which I'm sure helps somewhat.

Does anyone have advice as to how cold is too cold?

Are there any tricks for providing a way for the cat to keep herself warm?

Thanks!
Old November 25th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PretLetters

Op Sun, 25 Nov 2007 18:53:14 +0100 schreef John Smith :

I have a Himalayan cat and live in the Sacramento Valley.

It gets down below freezing during the night in the winter, and I'm
concerned whether that is too cold and how to keep the cat warm.

If this cat comes from the Himalaya's, I'm pretty sure s/he knows how to
keep warm during freezing nights :-)

Sorry, I have no real answer, but I couldn't resist.

--
URL:http://www.pretletters.net/
Old November 25th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

Op Sun, 25 Nov 2007 18:53:14 +0100 schreef John Smith :

I have a Himalayan cat and live in the Sacramento Valley.

It gets down below freezing during the night in the winter, and I'm
concerned whether that is too cold and how to keep the cat warm.

what about a heated kitty house - a quick search revealed this place:

http://store.stabobspethouses.net/hekiho.html

I'm sure there are plenty more to pick from.

Bobble
Old November 25th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Smith

Bobble, thanks very much for the constructive suggestion! I was unaware
of these heated cat houses.

Best Regards

Old November 25th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

The light bulb thing is a good idea. I had a friend who did the same type
of thing for their dog who would not stay in the house in the winter. But
for 199.00 you could surely make one yourself for much cheaper.

Celeste

Old November 25th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Nov 25, 12:53 pm, John Smith wrote:
Hi All -

If this is answered in an FAQ (I couldn't find one), please let me know
where I can find the FAQs.

I have a Himalayan cat and live in the Sacramento Valley.

The cat likes to be outside 95% of the time and sleeps in the (unheated)
garage.

It gets down below freezing during the night in the winter, and I'm
concerned whether that is too cold and how to keep the cat warm.

I have a pets' heating pad (similar to a human's heating pad, but not as
warm) that the cat stays on at night, which I'm sure helps somewhat.

Does anyone have advice as to how cold is too cold?

Are there any tricks for providing a way for the cat to keep herself warm?

Thanks!

In general lower than the low 20's would be cold.

My pussy used to sleep just outside the patio door in a basket. Even
when freezing out she would feel as hot as a heating pad. I had to
drag her in from the cold. Now if it's really cold and windy she will
come in on her own. Some times she refuses to come in even when it's
in the high 20's.
Old November 26th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmagerl[_2_]

The neighbors cats (2) got lost in a snow storm once and started living in
my window well. I took pity on them when the temp hit 0 but even at 0 they
were still toasty warm (I picked them up once to move them inside). In the
end we settled on an old styrofoam cooler that was big enough to hold them
with plenty of blankets with the entrance turned away from the wind. They
survived the winter that way and when the snow melted they went home.

They remembered and visited often during the summer. BAsed on those two, we
got our own cat.

Old November 26th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

You can buy a water dish that is slightly heated to keep the water
from freezing. They sell them for rabbits and other outdoor animals
but it's easily used by cats too.

Do you have a cat house/enclosure she can go into?
Old November 27th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Nov 25, 12:53 pm, John Smith wrote:
Hi All -

If this is answered in an FAQ (I couldn't find one), please let me know
where I can find the FAQs.

I have a Himalayan cat and live in the Sacramento Valley.

The cat likes to be outside 95% of the time and sleeps in the (unheated)
garage.

It gets down below freezing during the night in the winter, and I'm
concerned whether that is too cold and how to keep the cat warm.

I have a pets' heating pad (similar to a human's heating pad, but not as
warm) that the cat stays on at night, which I'm sure helps somewhat.

Does anyone have advice as to how cold is too cold?

Are there any tricks for providing a way for the cat to keep herself warm?

Thanks!

Its hard to understand how you enjoy having a cat who is out of the
house 95% of the time but you seem concerned so you could put a cat
bed in the garage. They are not very expensive and are easy to pop in
the washing machine.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_xbJvJcsdJF4/...h/DSC_0004.jpg
Old December 22nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Smith

Hi Rene -

I have a 'pet carrying crate' that she can go into. It is the sort of
thing that the pet's worshipper (me) uses to take the princess to the
vet on occasions. There is a towel in the bottom of the crate.

Honeybunch commented on outdoor cats not being much fun. I assume that
Honeybunch must not have dealt with a long-hair cat in a household where
one of the humans was allergic to cat hair. In any case, this cat was a
stray, and can rarely be induced into coming into the house, for reasons
unknown to me. Perhaps the cat had a bad experience inside the house in
the past, like being cornered by a dog or child.

Our cat spends 99% of her time in the garage, so it is somewhat like
visiting her in 'her room'.

Thanks again for your great advice and comments!

Ralph

Rene S. wrote:
You can buy a water dish that is slightly heated to keep the water
from freezing. They sell them for rabbits and other outdoor animals
but it's easily used by cats too.

Do you have a cat house/enclosure she can go into?

Winter landscape with cats 223rem Cat anecdotes 1 February 17th 07 07:25 PM
Pics: Winter cats Marina Cat anecdotes 3 February 11th 07 09:34 PM
Feral Cats in the Winter [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 January 6th 07 02:23 PM
Cats eating more before winter ? Mathieu Paquette Cat health & behaviour 2 September 29th 06 09:32 PM
Cold Winter Monarchs Bev Cat anecdotes 9 June 23rd 04 10:24 PM