can on Prozac for inapprop peeing

Old October 22nd 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default can on Prozac for inapprop peeing

Is your cat on any other drugs or have CRF or some other medical condition

Also did you ever try feliway?

"Christie" wrote in message
My cat has been on 1ml of Prozac now for almost 4 months. For the most
part she has stopped her inappropriate peeing around the house, except for
a couple times (it used to be daily).

The doctor said she can only be on it for 6 months at a time before there
has to be a break. Has anyone else had any other type of luck with a
behavioral problem like this, and what other than Prozac has helped?

Old October 22nd 08, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

On Oct 19, 8:25*pm, "Christie" wrote:
My cat has been on 1ml of Prozac now for almost 4 months. *For the most part
she has stopped her inappropriate peeing around the house, except for a
couple times (it used to be daily).

The doctor said she can only be on it for 6 months at a time before there
has to be a break. *Has anyone else had any other type of luck with a
behavioral problem like this, and what other than Prozac has helped?

Why in the HELL did you put your cat on an anti-depressant? Did it
tell you it was feeling sick in the head? How did you know? LOL....!!
This just keeps getting better and better.
YOU must be the sick one. You have probably projected your own
sickness on to your pet (a typical thing for a mental-case to do).
Bet you're on it yourself. If not, then you probably need to be.
Because the first thing you'd do when you straightened out would be to
find a sane vet. That one sounds like he's bad-off, as well.
Bet your kinds are a mess...

That’s my opinion.

The Nice Mean Man

http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=28398028
Old October 22nd 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

On Oct 19, 8:25*pm, "Christie" wrote:
My cat has been on 1ml of Prozac now for almost 4 months. *For the most part
she has stopped her inappropriate peeing around the house, except for a
couple times (it used to be daily).

The doctor said she can only be on it for 6 months at a time before there
has to be a break. *Has anyone else had any other type of luck with a
behavioral problem like this, and what other than Prozac has helped?

Why in the HELL did you put your cat on an anti-depressant? Did it
tell you it was feeling sick in the head? How did you know? LOL....!!
This just keeps getting better and better.
YOU must be the sick one. You probably have projected your own
sickness on to your pet (a typical thing for a mental-case to do). Bet
you're on it yourself. If not, then you probably need to be. Because
the first thing you'd do when you straightened out would be to find a
sane vet. That one sounds like he's bad-off, as well.

Bet your kids are a real mess...

Old October 22nd 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote
That was kind of my point.

But I do it with a smile ;-)

You old silver-tongued devil.

Old October 22nd 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

On Oct 19, 6:25*pm, "Christie" wrote:
My cat has been on 1ml of Prozac now for almost 4 months. *For the most part
she has stopped her inappropriate peeing around the house, except for a
couple times (it used to be daily).

The doctor said she can only be on it for 6 months at a time before there
has to be a break. *Has anyone else had any other type of luck with a
behavioral problem like this, and what other than Prozac has helped?

Christie, being of a more natural, holistic bent myself, I don't
believe in synthetic medications on animals (or me for that matter!)
except in critical or life threatening situations. All medications
that are available now had their start in nature. That being said, I
tend to look for another way. So, if a medication is necessary look
for an herbal equivalent. It's less invasive to the body and will do
the same thing, it just may take a little longer to take effect but
herbal medicines will not cause cancers, liver/kidney failure, and
other problems down the line.

But first, look for the CAUSE of kitty's behavior. Inappropriate
peeing is an attention getting way for kitty to tell you somethings
wrong. Whether it be brought on by stress (environment changes like
another new kitty, baby, boyfriend, person, moved furniture, litter
boxes, food bowls, change in litter...and so on) or illness. If she
doesn't like the new litter, change it. Stress can be helped using
Feliway spray and diffuser and Rescue Remedy. I personally have had
great success with Feliway & Rescue Remedy so I recommend it highly.
Many of the people I connect with in rescue work also use these
remedys with success. And from the sounds of it, you've already taken
her/him to the vet.

I had one kitty that sprayed (because of new rescued kitty in the
house) and one that just didn't seem to want to poop in the box. Both
problems have been eliminated after a thorough cleaning of the area
with Nature's Miracle (cleaner that breaks down the stinky enzymes)
and the Feliway with Rescue Remedy rubbed on their ears, drops in the
mouth or put in water.

Hope this helps!
DWMeowMix
Old October 23rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christie[_2_]

Finally someone with good input instead of criticisms. I didn't mention,
but we have 6 cats all from shelters, all around the same average age of 9
or 10 years old. They all have been with us for more than three years.
So it isn't like we have a new pet in the house (also no new people,
children, furniture, other pets she wasn't used to). We have had blood work
on Penny, we have ruled out anything medical. We have been racking our
brains over this for six months prior to us considering a prescription
medication.

We use Nature's Miracle and have three cat boxes that we keep the areas very
clean (especially taking into account that we have six of them). We have
tried many different litters. We have tried Feliway diffusers and also
spray. In fact, if you came into my house you would see sections of paper
towels taped to various walls with Feliway sprayed on them. These places
being spots that Penny likes to pee. And another thing, it isn't a full
pee, just always like she is spraying, but she is a female. I haven't tried
Rescue Remedy for her, though I am familiar with the product. So unless
someone has another suggestion, that is all I can see to try. You mentioned
rubbed on their ears. What does that do? I thought this was just a natural
product that is ingested.

Old October 23rd 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christie[_2_]

"The Nice Mean Man" wrote in message

Bet your kids are a real mess...

No, unfortunately my husband and I cannot have kids.

Thanks for that.

Old October 23rd 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Geez, Christie. I thought I gave you some good advice. I have lots of
experience with using prozac with my cats. I currently have 2 cats on
prozac due to aggressive behavior.

Just FYI, I have tried both Rescue Remedy and Feliway and neither was very
helpful. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, you should because I know
there are lots of people who swear by this stuff, I'm just sharing my
experience with it with you.

S.

Old October 23rd 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

On Oct 22, 5:51*pm, "Christie" wrote:
We have had blood work on Penny, we have ruled out anything medical.

Christie, far be it for me to argue with your vet, but it sounds more
and more like a urinary track infection. UTI's are not always
diagnosable through blood work alone. The vet needs to do a
urinalysis.

From http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/caturina...r%20behavioral

"The first step is to check a urinalysis, fecal exam if stool soiling
is a problem, complete blood count (CBC) and chemistry panel. If this
lab work does not identify a problem it is more likely that a
behavioral problem exists than a medical one. There is no easy way
around this testing. It almost has to be viewed as the minimal
database necessary to start ruling out medical problems. Most of the
time it is possible to obtain urine by cystocentesis, which is
withdrawing a small amount of urine from the bladder directly with a
small gauge needle and a syringe. This helps a lot in cats since clean
urine can be hard to obtain. In some cases it is advisable to do other
testing such as X-rays, testing for feline leukemia virus,
hyperthyroidism or other more specialized tests as indicated by the
physical exam and the original labwork. "

Not to be crass but here's a good link on everything to do with cat
pee: http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/caturinary.html

I know it's alot of reading but it's the only way I can think of to
help you narrow down your problem. YOU CANNOT COUNT ON A VET'S
OPINION ALONE! There has been many, many times I've questioned one
vets opinion and formed opinions and questions of my own (done this
with cars too!) just by reading and questioning. Sometimes it gives
the vet a prod and a different viewpoint on things he/she may not have
considered or not seen in the same vein as how you are looking at it.
If your vet isn't receptive to questioning or suggestions, you need a
new vet.

On the flip side, with multiple cats it could very well be
territorial. Spraying territories is not limited to males!

You mentioned rubbed on their ears. What does that do? I thought this was just a natural
product that is ingested.

It's just a different, more pleasant and more immediate method of
delivery. Instead of waiting for the cat to drink or forcing it down
their throats with an eye dropper, you can just rub in on their
foreheads or back of the ears to make it a pleasant experience both
for the cat and for you.

That's all I have for now...
DWMeowMix
Old October 24th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christie[_2_]

"blkcatgal" wrote ...
Geez, Christie. I thought I gave you some good advice. I have lots of
experience with using prozac with my cats. I currently have 2 cats on
prozac due to aggressive behavior.

Just FYI, I have tried both Rescue Remedy and Feliway and neither was very
helpful. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, you should because I know
there are lots of people who swear by this stuff, I'm just sharing my
experience with it with you.

I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge your message. Thank you. Tried Feliway, but
not RR. I support I could try both at the same time. It's about all I have
left to try, I guess.