[OT] Andre Norton is dying

Old February 25th 05, 04:12 AM
John F. Eldredge

Default [OT] Andre Norton is dying

This is slightly on topic, in that a good number of Andre Norton's
books involved cats, and she has a number of them as pets.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:14:48 +0000 (UTC), (James
Nicoll) wrote in rec.arts.sf.written:

spotted on rec.arts.mystery

From Laura J. Underwood's post at the Knoxville Speculative

Fiction Association's newsgroup today:

"Word from Sue Stewart is that Andre has been released from the
hospital so she can go home and pass away peacefully in the company
of her cats and the people who take care of her.

Ms. Norton contracted a serious case of flu and bronchitis, and was
under a high fever for a while. She spent her 93rd birthday in the
hospital. The fever broke, and for a time she seemed to be getting
better and was even eating and talking about going home, and looking
forward to the publication of her next book (due out in April, I
think), but word is that she is still battling illness, and getting
tired,
and not doing well.

Still, Sue Stewart has asked that people please send cards and
letters and flowers.

The address is below:

Andre Norton
1007 Herron Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Andre Norton is a great lady. She was kind enough to purchase one of
my stories for her Catfantastic anthologies, and she even recommended
me to several writer organizations as a speaker several years back.
She
also gave me a wonderful cover blurb for my forthcoming novel
DRAGON'S TONGUE. I have corresponded with her on and off and
feel deeply sad that we are likely to lose another one of the giants
in
the fantasy and science fiction field."

Laura J. Underwood

--
John F. Eldredge --

PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Old February 25th 05, 11:46 AM
Gabey8

I'm sorry to hear that. At least one of my favorite books was written by
Andre Norton.

On the other hand... WOW. I had no idea she's 93 years old.

Sending purrs to join with her own cats' purrs for her to either recover
or, if this is her time to leave us and no human intervention can stave
off the departure, that the passing will be peaceful.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old February 25th 05, 12:24 PM
CatNipped

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
This is slightly on topic, in that a good number of Andre Norton's
books involved cats, and she has a number of them as pets.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:14:48 +0000 (UTC), (James
Nicoll) wrote in rec.arts.sf.written:

spotted on rec.arts.mystery

From Laura J. Underwood's post at the Knoxville Speculative

[...]

Purrs going out for the extremely talented Ms. Norton and her family. I
hope her passing to the bridge is a peaceful and gentle one. Ms. Norton
will be greatly missed - her works gave me hours and hours of entertainment
and enlightenment.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
John F. Eldredge --

PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Old February 25th 05, 01:32 PM
Christine Burel

Andre Norton was one of my favorite authors in my youth; I'm sorry for her
family and hope her passing is peaceful amongst her family and cats.
Christine
"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
This is slightly on topic, in that a good number of Andre Norton's
books involved cats, and she has a number of them as pets.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:14:48 +0000 (UTC), (James
Nicoll) wrote in rec.arts.sf.written:

spotted on rec.arts.mystery

From Laura J. Underwood's post at the Knoxville Speculative

Old February 26th 05, 11:01 PM
Tanada

John F. Eldredge wrote:

Andre Norton is a great lady. She was kind enough to purchase one of
my stories for her Catfantastic anthologies, and she even recommended
me to several writer organizations as a speaker several years back.
She
also gave me a wonderful cover blurb for my forthcoming novel
DRAGON'S TONGUE. I have corresponded with her on and off and
feel deeply sad that we are likely to lose another one of the giants
in
the fantasy and science fiction field."

Laura J. Underwood

Purrs and sympathy for Ms Norton and her friends, fans, and family. I
have all six of the Cat Fantastic books and they are what I call
"comfort books" the ones I go to when I need something comforting and
familiar to read. I also have some of Ms Norton's books and they are
among the most treasured parts of my library. I hope she does make it,
but if she must go, I hope that her passing is an easy one.

Pam, Rob, and the Fayetteville Five + Calvin, Sonya, and Speedy the d-thing