Sophie

Old September 24th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat[_2_]

Default Sophie

I have to shed my good news with you cat people. Dear little chubby
black Sophie has been diagnosed with diabetes. Why is that good news?
Because it's treatable, and her symptoms (excessive urination, weight
loss) also pointed to kidney failure, which is fatal. We don't mind
the extra care she'll need and the expense of treating her diabetes.
She's worth it!
Old September 24th 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat[_2_]

On Sep 24, 12:07*pm, Bobcat wrote:
I have to shed my good news with you cat people.

CORRECTION: That should be "SHARE my good news". - Although with cats,
"shed" isn't a bad word!

Old September 24th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Some posters have reported curing diabetes by feeding only canned food.
This might be worth a try.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old September 24th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

LOL - shedding seemed appropriate, cats and this time of year and all! ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old September 24th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Some posters have reported curing diabetes by feeding only canned food.
This might be worth a try.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Diabetes is a complex disease.
Different brands of canned foods have vastly different ingredients. Who's
to say one is good for diabetic cats and which ones aren't? You'd have to
be a cat nutrition expert to be able to read the labels and figure it out.
I vote for going with a vet you trust and taking their advice.

Jill

Old September 24th 10, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

In article
,
Bobcat wrote:

I have to shed my good news with you cat people. Dear little chubby
black Sophie has been diagnosed with diabetes. Why is that good news?
Because it's treatable, and her symptoms (excessive urination, weight
loss) also pointed to kidney failure, which is fatal. We don't mind
the extra care she'll need and the expense of treating her diabetes.
She's worth it!

Hooray for good kidneys! Once you get into a good routine with things
she'll barely notice the needle sticks (insulin needles are *tiny*) and
only complain a little about the blood sugar tests which become less
frequent as she stabilizes. Heck, sometimes diabetic cats only need
insulin for a limited period of time and can be maintained long-term
with diet, since cats most frequently present with type 2 diabetes.

--
minnow ^..^

http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old September 24th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

On Sep 24, 12:07*pm, Bobcat wrote:
I have to shed my good news with you cat people. Dear little chubby
black Sophie has been diagnosed with diabetes. Why is that good news?
Because it's treatable, and her symptoms (excessive urination, weight
loss) also pointed to kidney failure, which is fatal. We don't mind
the extra care she'll need and the expense of treating her diabetes.
She's worth it!

Amen to that!

Blessed be,
Baha
Old September 24th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

Some posters have reported curing diabetes by feeding only canned food.
This might be worth a try.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Diabetes is a complex disease.
Different brands of canned foods have vastly different ingredients. Who's
to say one is good for diabetic cats and which ones aren't? You'd have to
be a cat nutrition expert to be able to read the labels and figure it out.
I vote for going with a vet you trust and taking their advice.

Sure - not just any canned food. Grain-free is the first order of
business, though. I wouldn't think that'd be too hard to figure out
from the label.

Joyce

--
Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating
Old September 25th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bobcat" wrote in message
I have to shed my good news with you cat people. Dear little chubby
black Sophie has been diagnosed with diabetes. Why is that good news?
Because it's treatable, and her symptoms (excessive urination, weight
loss) also pointed to kidney failure, which is fatal. We don't mind
the extra care she'll need and the expense of treating her diabetes.
She's worth it!

Of course she is! I'm so glad her problem is treatable!

Joy

Old September 25th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Bobcat
wrote:

I have to shed my good news with you cat people. Dear little chubby
black Sophie has been diagnosed with diabetes. Why is that good news?
Because it's treatable, and her symptoms (excessive urination, weight
loss) also pointed to kidney failure, which is fatal. We don't mind
the extra care she'll need and the expense of treating her diabetes.
She's worth it!

That's EXACTLY how I felt when Kenzie was diagnosed with
hyperthyroidism: at least it's treatable, and isn't a death sentence: I
was SO AFRAID she had cancer.

I hope Sophie responds well to her treatment, with as little trouble as
possible for your sweet Sophie.

Please keep us posted!

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100924-1, 09/24/2010
Tested on: 9/24/2010 7:07:58 PM

Sophie Dave McMahon Cat rescue 1 January 23rd 05 09:47 PM
Sophie Dave McMahon Cat anecdotes 5 January 14th 05 09:30 PM
Sophie Dave McMahon Cats - misc 0 January 14th 05 03:00 AM
Sophie Dave McMahon Cat community 0 January 14th 05 03:00 AM
Sophie Cat versus Sophie Dog D. R. Crawford Cat anecdotes 21 November 28th 04 11:19 AM