when is enough, enough

Old July 13th 03, 06:36 PM
MaryL

"Caliban" wrote in message
thlink.net...
"MaryL" wrote
"Caliban" wrote
wrote
Caliban wrote:
snip
(2) how many cats I could save down at
the shelter with the money I was
expending on a current but sadly very sick
cat.

This is really despicable of you to consider a cat disposable and
unworthy of care because of a money issue,

Do you spend all your money saving cats?

If not, your hypocrisy is despicable.

Megan is licensed to care for 25 cats, and she currently is at the

maximum
of 25. Most of these cats were abused, neglected or feral when she

adopted
them. She gave me a tremendous amount of help when I adopted Duffy, and

know enough about her circumstances to say that she really does spend

almost
all of her resources on the care of these cats. Several of them are
undergoing very expensive care at this moment -- care that she gives

them
even though this means that she must deprive herself of many things that
most of us would consider to be basic.

Assuming this is true, do you think that's fair to ask every cat owner to

do
this?

Actually, I was responding to your inference that she was being hypocritical
if she didn't spend all her money on cats. She clearly can't spend "all"
her money on the care of cats, but she comes as close to it as anyone I
know.

I hoped that she would
send information (which she did) because the amount of cost listed here
sounds unreasonable to me. I don't think most veterinary care for

diabetic
cats would even approach the amounts that have been charged to the OP.

Following up on my own statement: I amount charged for care appears to be
incredibly high -- "outrageous," in fact.

Old July 13th 03, 06:51 PM

Karen wrote:
The costs are out of bounds. Also for the
blockage. My cat had a blockage and after
three days of treatment it was more like
400 dollars (and that was an emergency
vet, not my regular) not 1200. The OP's
vet is exhorbitant.

I totally agree. I have had two instances in the last year dealing with
blocked cats. One belongs to a friend of mine who is legally blind and
cannot drive. She called me up scared because Buster Brown was lying on
the floor and unable to get up. I rushed her and her kitty to the ER at
about 11 at night and it turned out he was blocked. The cost to treat,
which is more expensive than a regular vet, was $500. He is now on a
strictly canned diet and doing very well with no reoccurences.

The second incident was a cat I was petsitting over Christmas. He had a
UTI right before the owner left so I was watching the litterbox like a
hawk and counting his pee clumps and looking at how big they were. After
12 hours of nothing I brought him into the vet and sure enough he was
blocked. He stayed at the clinic for three days (over the Christmas
holiday) and had to be catheterized twice during that time. The cost was
a little over $600.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 13th 03, 07:49 PM

Caliban wrote:

That she would interpret my words as
considering cats "disposable and
unworthy of care" is outrageous.
Fortunately, my post speaks for itself, as
does hers.

Your post spoke so loudly that everyone interpreted it as I did.

As is discussed here often, many agree
that there is a point where, despite the
best intentions, it's better to put a cat
down.
It may very well be that this cat is
suffering and his time has come, couldn't
it?

Did you even read (or comprehend) the original post??? This is not about
the cat suffering and nothing more being able to be done for it. This
about the OP's frustation with the cost of vet care and the cat getting
another UTI and possible blockage. You don't kill a cat because it has a
UTI or blockage. Sheesh. What the OP needs is an understanding shoulder
and some viable options that will help him to care for his cat better at
an infinitely smaller cost. Not suggestions that it should be killed,
especially during a time when there is a lot of frustration on the OP's
part. That is not the time to make irreversible decisions. I've offered
to help him and I hope he takes me up on it. This is nowhere near a
hopeless situation and euthanasia shouldn't even be part of the
discussion at this point.

Old July 13th 03, 07:54 PM
Sherry

We were going to call the vet Monday to schedule that test. It is
Saturday night at 11:00 I catch Andy trying to pee on the carpet.
(another blockage) I know we should rush out to the emergency vet, but
I decided to wait until morning (it is now almost 1:00am) and see what
the night brings. He may well be dead, have I not done more than most?
am I evil?
When is the point when enough is enough?

The biggest problem I see with your post is that the cat is probably in extreme
discomfort from the blockage. No matter what you decide, it's wrong to let him
suffer for 8 or 9 hours when you there is an ER available to you.

Sherry

Old July 13th 03, 09:18 PM
TracyN

"Philip Wagner" wrote ...
I know most here will condemn me for suggesting it but I just can't
keep throwing money away on our cat Andy.

In summer 2002 Andy was diagnosed with diabetes. The total costs in
two months was $1,600.00. The vet still wanted us to bring him in
every two weeks at $200.00 a crack for day long blood sugar tests.
This would end when they determined the insulin level was right.
However other costs such as expensive food, and the problem of having
other cats that try to eat this expensive food. One good thing Andy is
so overwieght he cannot get up to the other cats food dish. When he
wants to eat he incesantly meows until we come and pick him up and put
him on a counter and open the container with his food. Another thing
is the insulin, a minor cost in the sceme of things.

These costs seem very high. I had a diabetic kitty and the expenses were
nowhere near that. I would encourage you to go to the message board
at www.felinediabetes.com for advice on caring for Andy. One thing
they will suggest is that you do the blood sugar curves yourself. I had a
glucometer and tested my cats level every day in addition to doing
curves as needed. It is not very difficult once you get the hang of it.

Doesn't answer your question of when is enough enough, but maybe
it will help you find other options so that you won't feel so frustrated.

Tracy

Old July 13th 03, 09:55 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 7/13/03 1:49 PM:

Caliban wrote:

[...]

Having one blockage does not even *mean* the cat will have another. So the
OP would be euthanizing on a *possibility*. It can't get much clearer than
that.

Karen