boxes

Old November 26th 04, 02:48 PM
Ken Phifer

Default boxes

Are there any templates or plans for making climbing units for kittens
out of sturdy cardboard boxes?

thnks, Ken
Old November 28th 04, 10:30 AM
MaryL

"Ken Phifer" wrote in message
om...
Are there any templates or plans for making climbing units for kittens
out of sturdy cardboard boxes?

thnks, Ken

I have never seen the type of plans you describe. In fact, I would be
skeptical about making such a unit -- you could put a considerable amount
into this unit only to find that it will fall apart in a relatively short
time (even when using sturdy cardboard boxes).

As an alternative, these sites have do-it-yourself plans for cat trees
(although not from cardboard):
http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html#build-it
http://www.cat-tree-plans.com/
http://www.flippyscatpage.com/furniturediy.html

MaryL

Old November 30th 04, 05:43 AM
Vicktorya Stone

Hi Ken:

When I was moving around extensively with my two big bruiser boys, each time
I unpacked I kept all the boxes and just threw them into a spare room.
(Helps if the kitties have their own room ;-) -- these 'cardboard caves'
were sources of lots of endless entertainment where they could sneak around
and spook each other until they were exhausted. They also, as they were big
boys, would run and crash and tumble everything all over the place.

So -- I'd suggest just leaving the boxes loose on the floor -- it's at least
an option, as the changing 'routes' lend variety. You can also just nestle
the boxes into each other for more stability and variety, and if you wanted
to go for it, put some holes in certain ends. If you can use a staple gun
that would reliably keep the boxes together without exposing the sharp parts
or losing the staples (risky!) then maybe that works. May be better to use
strapping tape, and wrap around the boxes -- would help for stability also.
Anyway, you could make all kinds of contorted architectural things -- but,
just a bunch of loose boxes would be fun. Hmmm, the taping and securing a
sturdy cardboard infrastructure to a wall could be interesting -- I'll have
to try that. (Have two kittens coming 31 December -- so I'm in toy planning
mode too.)

I also tied a laundry basket to a hook on the ceiling and they could jump in
and swing wild. Throw some old sheets or other materials into the mix and
you've got a real party. Be creative, and let things evolve ... wine corks
secured with thread and some elastic at the top, fastened to a high area
(window sill, e.g.) are good 'batting' practice.

in joy!
Vicktorya

om...

Old December 9th 04, 04:33 PM
Philip Doolittle

Are there any templates or plans for making climbing units for kittens
out of sturdy cardboard boxes?

My cats absolute favorite scratching post is a strapped bundle of cardboard
boxes from the office. They will only claw the two sides that expose the
wavy corrugation. But those sides they destroy. I tried to stop them for
awhile (boxes are expensive), but found it to be a lost cause. Now I just
run it through the bandsaw about once a month to expose a fresh edge for
them. A bundle of 50 ($25) lasts about 6 months this way.

Sincerely,
Philip Doolittle
http://www.OdorDestroyer.com

See www.odordestroyer.com/newsletter for free monthly information to help
you and your pets. Latest articles:

- How to Select a Veterinarian.
- Great Gift Ideas for your Pets

Old December 10th 04, 03:29 AM
Gary Stone

"Philip Doolittle" wrote in message
ink.net...
Are there any templates or plans for making climbing units for kittens
out of sturdy cardboard boxes?

My cats absolute favorite scratching post is a strapped bundle of
cardboard boxes from the office. They will only claw the two sides that
expose the wavy corrugation. But those sides they destroy. I tried to
stop them for awhile (boxes are expensive), but found it to be a lost
cause. Now I just run it through the bandsaw about once a month to expose
a fresh edge for them. A bundle of 50 ($25) lasts about 6 months this way.

Before I brought the cats home, I got all their paraphernalia including 3
scratch pads made of corrugated cardboard. One double wide and two narrower
ones. The first thing both of them went for were the littler boxes (25 mile
trip from the shelter) and then to the scratch pads. They love them. Have
not had any problems with scratching furniture, doors or wood work. One will
scratch the deck post though when outdoors.

Stone