Mating issue

Old October 5th 04, 01:25 AM
Ted Davis

Default Mating issue

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:54:58 +0800, "DoDo" wrote:

I am currently considering the purchase of a male and female cat of the same
litter.

Is there any issue/problem for cats from the same litter to mate with one
another? In other words, are siblings mating ok? Any problems or effects
of their offspring?

You don't want to mate them - that is likely to produce kittens with
whatever problems the parents have as recessives.

In any case, there are too many cats without homes now in most areas -
if you breed more kittens, for each kitten you find a home for, one of
the others will have to be put down or will be discarded to live, or
more probably die, as best it can.

If the cats are not champion grade, there isn't much point in not
neutering them: neutered cats make better pets - intact cats,
especially males, are usually noisy, smelly, and (often) aggressive.

--
T.E.D. )
Old October 18th 04, 08:54 AM
formerly known as 'cat arranger'

:
[...]
: --
: T.E.D. )

I had the same question a few weeks ago. And got some
very angry answers saying that it was a bad idea. I agreed
and didn't do that. The posts were overwhelmingly against
mating sibling cats. Good luck.

Here's the thread from the other group:
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...3D50%26hl%3Den

If you click on it you should get the thread or if not cut and paste
into explorer of whatever browser you use. : -)

Old October 18th 04, 08:54 AM

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
[...]

Mating issue Melanie's Phony Email Address for NGs Cat health & behaviour 5 October 5th 04 09:06 PM
Mating issue Sherry Cat anecdotes 12 October 5th 04 08:48 PM
The Kitty Puke Issue Mary Cat health & behaviour 6 April 26th 04 10:59 PM