Cat Using toilet and toilet paper

Old September 12th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Human Litterboxes (was Cat Using toilet and toilet paper)

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

Some European homes I've been in had the toilet and bathtub in
different rooms, which was rather odd to my eyes!

Not just Europe - that was the usual arrangement in New Zealand when
I was there. I'm not sure where the idea came from, but it fitted in
with Maori tradition, which regarded the idea of washing and excreting
in the same place as utterly disgusting.

Here,in the cheaper flats & apartments (meant for young adult rentals, I
guess) the toilet and shower are almost always in the one room to save
space. It would be unsual to find a bath in such 'bathrooms'. There may well
be laundry facilites in the same room too.

In the classier flats and apartments (usually the three or more bedroom
ones) and almost all houses, the toilet is in a seperate room from the
shower & bath, as are the laundry facilities, at least for the 'main'
facilities. Those lucky enough to have ensuites on their main bedrooms (we
don't) will have a toilet, and probably a shower. Those who aredoingreally
well may also have a bath or even spa in their ensuite.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old September 13th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

hopitus wrote:

The ultimate notion of luxurious living to me would be to have a
bidet.
Preferably one without a shelf. LOL.

Heh, in the house that I grew up in, we had a bidet, but we never used
it for its intended purpose. Sometimes, we would take foot baths in it,
because it was right beside the bathtub and you could sit on the edge of
the tub while soaking your feet. :P

In that (semi-detached) house, the bathroom and toilet were two separate
rooms, and there was a sauna adjoining the bathroom. With a family of
six and only one toilet, it had better not be in the same room as the tub!

Still, it wasn't a luxury dwelling by any means. The sauna isn't a
luxury here in Finland, but an everyday part of life.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old September 13th 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav wrote:

The USofA seem to use bowls with a higher water level in the pan
than those in the UK.

We have newer, "low-flow" toilets with much lower water levels. They're
a lot more efficient in terms of conserving water. I used to have one in
my apartment, but unfortunately, the plumbing is so bad here that the
low-flow toilet just doesn't provide enough force to get everything down.
So the landlord had to replace it with a water-wasting one.

In much of Europe, there's a 'shelf' on the
front inside edge of the bowl where business is deposited (for
inspection?) before flushing

Seriously, what is the purpose of that? I have never seen a shelf in
a toilet, and I'm not sure I'd want to.

Joyce

--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is
beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
Old September 13th 09, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav wrote:

Much of the [human] world sees defaecation as a normal bodily
function that is a great indicator of health (or otherwise), and
in less developed countries, defaecation in public is seen as
nothing unusual (particularly with children). In my opinion, we
have a somewhat strange and prudish attitude in the UK. Our
'bathrooms' are often placed at almost inaccessible parts of
public buildings, and eliminating is seen as something to be
hidden. It's something we all have to do, so why hide it?

I don't think it's so bad to hide it - I prefer my privacy, myself -
but I don't understand why, among many people, it's almost forbidden
to *talk* about it. Everyone I know is pretty vocal about urination -
"Can we stop - I have to pee really bad!" etc. But everyone's so discreet
about pooping. They'll say they need to "use the bathroom". I have one
friend who always says "I have to sit in the bathroom". Oh, really?
Are you meditating? Getting ideas for redecorating? What? What is that
about?

Joyce

Old September 13th 09, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

Some European homes I've been in had the toilet and bathtub in
different rooms, which was rather odd to my eyes!

I've seen a few homes in San Francisco that have that arrangement.
They're all Victorian homes, so that might have something to do with
it. In both houses, the room with the toilet (the "wc") has nothing
else - no sink, while the room with the tub has the sink. I think it
would make more sense to put the sink in the room with the toilet -
that's certainly more hygienic. Otherwise, though, I like the idea
of two separate rooms. You can take a long bath without feeling
guilty.

Joyce

Old September 13th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
MatSav wrote:

[...]

We're better about that than we used to be. Women used to say they had to
powder their nose when they needed to pee. My mother seemed to think the
word "toilet" was a naughty word. I don't see any need to say one has to
poop. That seems like TMI. Sure, we have to do it, and there's no reason
to hide the fact. OTOH, there's no reason to advertise it either.

Joy

Old September 13th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Many homes in Australia have the tub and/or shower in a different room from
the toilet. I visited one home where the toilet was in one room, the
bathtub and shower were in another, and the wash basin was in a third room.

Joy

Poll OT Toilet paper tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 30 November 9th 08 10:53 AM
Toilet Paper Eater Jan Harris Cats - misc 4 April 9th 05 06:06 PM
a strip of toilet paper and yepp Cat anecdotes 13 March 17th 05 04:25 PM
Toilet Paper John Biltz Cat anecdotes 11 August 17th 03 08:41 PM
toilet paper 2 Byron & Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 5 August 17th 03 04:09 AM