Goodbye, dear Lucy Girl...

Old October 23rd 03, 06:38 PM
onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats

Default Goodbye, dear Lucy Girl...

So sadly, this was very quick.

I just want to thank everyone, kitties and people alike for all the
purrs and warm thoughts. I can't face responding to each of you just
now, but I need to thank you, and tell you all how comforting it is,
even through a computer screen, to know that others out there understand.

Lucy and I went to Dr. Bonnie around 11 this morning - I had to come
home alone. After a little bit of a rally and a last purr after work
yesterday, she began having a hard time breathing in the middle of the
night, and had a couple of accidents, much to her upset. I was on-call
for work so was up and could keep cuddling and talking to her between
pager beeps. I carried her around on her fleecy bed, office to
livingroom to bedroom and back, and to her litter when she might need
it. The last big move she made on her own was to leave the office and
struggle her way up onto the bed one last time to sleep beside Adam
while I was finishing up work. This morning she just cuddled, but
struggled to breath and wouldn't touch water or her cat-milk treat at all.

Never, ever underestimate the value of a cat-fanatic vet who will sit
and cuddle your cats with you as long as you need to. Unlike with
Lenny, where we knew nothing for sure and had to leave him to surgery,
we knew this was the time for Lucy to go and I could stay with her all
the way - the one regret I had about leaving Lenny for surgery. This
was very sad, but less traumatic than I had feared. Bonnie had a room
all set up with a big plushy fleece blanket, and I brought Lucy in with
her own afghan, too. Bonnie petted her and gave her a tiny needle full
of sedative first. Lucy didn't flinch, bless her tough little heart,
and she wobbled back across the blankey towards me and relaxed under my
hands. She drifted off to sleep with her eyes open, which was slightly
disconcerting but that way I knew the last thing she was looking at was
me. Bonnie let me be alone with her for a bit while she got the second
IV shot ready. Her breathing was easier than it had been in a long
time. The second shot wasn't noticeable for her or for me, and she just
slowed down until she stopped. I kept petting her and for some bizarre
reason told Bonnie about when I first got the two of them. We both
laughed at my story of my first week with Lenny and Lucy. A tiny
apartment barely bigger than the exam room, and two Siamese freed from a
shelter cage for the first time in 3.5 months - they ran full-speed
end-to-end for a week, and I had to lock them in the bathroom so I could
sleep, they were so happy. Bonnie says she's now going to smile at the
image of 4 big blue eyes blinking up out of the bathtub where they
curled up to sleep, rejecting my warm kitty-bed I had placed there and
making me feel terribly guilty those first few days together.
Fortunately for all of us they calmed down and began sleeping at night -
and were rarely not on my bed for the next 11 + years.

Lucy was always the gentler and more reserved of the pair, waiting her
turn behind Lenny and later behind Panda and Sprout too, for her treats
or her petting - but when you picked her up, she was a buttery plush toy
in your hands, and never, ever wanted to be put down. All the other
cats eventually had somewhere else to go, but Lucy would never try to
leave a hug of her own volition - and if I tried to put her down, she'd
cling like she was afraid of the floor until I got her completely
disentangled - then follow me around, waiting to be picked up again.

Goodbye and sweet dreams, dear old Lucy-boo. My life would have been
much less if I had not found you those years ago. Go find your
Lenny-love, my heart is with you both.

*snif*

Johanna, Sprout (in a bag at my feet) and Panda ov-purrin-on-my-lap-Toes

Old October 23rd 03, 06:42 PM
Blurbubble

"onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats" wrote in message
So sadly, this was very quick.

I just want to thank everyone, kitties and people alike for all the
purrs and warm thoughts. I can't face responding to each of you just
now, but I need to thank you, and tell you all how comforting it is,
even through a computer screen, to know that others out there understand.

Gently Snipped

( OH we're so sorry to hear this - I'm still raw from losing Zachary last
month and it's heartbreaking I know. Nothing can really be said that's
adequate to compensate and console other than we know and understand exactly
how you feel and offer purrs and best wishes.

Meowmie Blurbubble & Clarence x

---

Old October 23rd 03, 06:55 PM
Dan Mahoney

Gently Snipped

( OH we're so sorry to hear this - I'm still raw from losing Zachary last
month and it's heartbreaking I know. Nothing can really be said that's
adequate to compensate and console other than we know and understand exactly
how you feel and offer purrs and best wishes.

Meowmie Blurbubble & Clarence x

I couldn't have said it better myself. We lost Miss DD to CRF back in
May, and it still hurts to think about it. Nothing as much as it did
before, but I suspect that some degree of hurt will always be there.

Purrs for your emotional recovery.

Dan

Old October 23rd 03, 06:57 PM
Me

onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats wrote:

Goodbye and sweet dreams, dear old Lucy-boo. My life would have been
much less if I had not found you those years ago. Go find your
Lenny-love, my heart is with you both.

*snif*

Johanna, Sprout (in a bag at my feet) and Panda ov-purrin-on-my-lap-Toes

Purrpurrpurrpurrpurr. mms purrpurrpurr. Weze so sorry dere a bigbig hole
in yur hart anti Johanna. Weze purrin dat Lucy is feeling bedder at da
Rainbow bridj.

Snowflake an Frieda

Old October 23rd 03, 07:00 PM
KS

gently snipped

onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats wrote:

Goodbye and sweet dreams, dear old Lucy-boo. My life would have been
much less if I had not found you those years ago. Go find your
Lenny-love, my heart is with you both.

*snif*

Johanna, Sprout (in a bag at my feet) and Panda ov-purrin-on-my-lap-Toes

I'm so sorry Johanna. I know how painful this is.

You wrote a beautiful tribute. Lucy and Lenny had good, happy lives.

Kami

--
email: furpods at mindspring dot com

Old October 23rd 03, 07:49 PM
onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats

Thank you, dear Kami -

Such a wonder is this community, that you keep offering what you can,
even with your own losses. There has been alot of this recently, it seems.

I did everything I could to make sure they lived like I wish all cats
could. They were cherished and loved, they were my life even in times
when I felt I had no other life worth the trouble of living. Even when
Panda and Sprout, not to mention a handful of rats, a mouse, and tanks
of fish joined us, my two Meezers remained Lord and Lady of the manor.
Indeed, they became "Mr." Lenny and "Ms." Lucy to the rest of the zoo,
from the day Panda met them, as she immediately showed both huge
affection and respectful deference for their rulership of our home.

Another playmate will be joining Spook and everyone else at the Bridge.
Lucy's a little reserved, a rather dignified meezer-lady, but she does
have a subtle sense of humour and mischief. Once she's found Lenny
again I'm sure they'll be up to all sorts of things with our whole
collective clowder there.

Peace, everyone;
Johanna

gently snipped