The Kitties Caught the Mouse!

Old March 5th 05, 03:49 AM
Mary

Default The Kitties Caught the Mouse!

I think I wrote here last week about getting out some pasta to cook and
finding a corner of the bag nibbled, and finding bags of dried chickpeas and
other beans with the same sized hole in them. Then of course I found tiny
droppings in the cabinet, and then I thought, oh no, now I have to clean out
the whole cabinet, find the hole to the outside, and set a trap. I was set
on a havahart trap because I don't like killing little creatures. However,
the whole thing was going to be a hassle at this busy time.

So: last night I was looking for the kitties and found them in the dining
room in the dark. Oh!, said I to my husband, they are playing together!
(Little did I know it may have been much more sinister than that.)

This morning they were both scarce after breakfast from
6 am until probably 2 pm. At one point I went to the kitchen for something
and Cheeks scared me to death by
bursting out of the cabinet under the stove. I had never seen her in there,
but you all know how cats are! She may have just taken a fancy to go in
there today.

Anyway, tonight after Joan of Arcadia I went into the dining room to get
something and there he was: dead, unfortunately, but the cutest little field
mouse with big ears and a long tail. There was not a mark on him so I
imagine my darlings tormented him until he died of fright. I am sad for
him--but happy for my pantry--and I know this is irrational but I am very
proud of my girls! I don't know who caught him or when--but Cheeks has been
tuckered all afternoon and evening. What I am thankful for: that I did not
wake up from my nap this afternoon to the sight of the dead mouse hanging
from her mouth! She brings me the rubber snake, but did not bring me the
mouse. Lucky me! Just wanted to share my great hunter's first kill. ( I
really am sorry for the mousie, but it is the natural thing for them to do.)

Old March 5th 05, 04:02 AM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1109994554.aca1390a91eeb1d965b98e2b6a8ac7da@t eranews...

proud of my girls! I don't know who caught him or when--but Cheeks has

been
tuckered all afternoon and evening.

Good girl, Cheeks! You saved meowmy's food stores and saved meowmy from
possible disease carried by a fearsome rodent! Extra scritches for you
tonight, I hope!

What I am thankful for: that I did not
wake up from my nap this afternoon to the sight of the dead mouse hanging
from her mouth! She brings me the rubber snake, but did not bring me the
mouse. Lucky me! Just wanted to share my great hunter's first kill. ( I
really am sorry for the mousie, but it is the natural thing for them to

do.)

Prissy Sissy With the Sassy Tail (RB) once left the hind half of a mouse in
my slipper (which I discovered when my foot was halfway into it!!). After I
got over the shuddering I had to thank her for leaving me the tastiest
part!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 5th 05, 05:06 AM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Prissy Sissy With the Sassy Tail (RB) once left the hind half of a mouse

in
my slipper (which I discovered when my foot was halfway into it!!). After

got over the shuddering I had to thank her for leaving me the tastiest
part!!! ;

Only you could summon the wisdom to do this! I'd STILL be
stuck to the ceiling!

Old March 5th 05, 05:46 AM
Gabey8

Congrats to the kitties!

I feel sorry for the mouse, too. But on the other hand, they just did
EXACTLY the thing that brought humans to domesticate the first wild cats
thousands of years ago. They killed a mouse that was, without question,
helping itself to your food stores.

That's what cats' job description was, for centuries: neutralizing
rodents. And in some cases, it's still some cats' job today. Kudos to the
felines for a job well done.

Donna, and the kitties who kill TOY mice very well, Captain and Stanley

Old March 5th 05, 07:04 AM
Melissa Houle

Gabey8 wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Congrats to the kitties!

I feel sorry for the mouse, too. But on the other hand, they just did
EXACTLY the thing that brought humans to domesticate the first wild cats
thousands of years ago. They killed a mouse that was, without question,
helping itself to your food stores.

That's what cats' job description was, for centuries: neutralizing
rodents. And in some cases, it's still some cats' job today. Kudos to the
felines for a job well done.

Donna, and the kitties who kill TOY mice very well, Captain and Stanley

Yup... ANd despite decades of domesticity, they haven't forgotten about it.
They're still little predators, at heart. The girls gave you an admirable
example of their skill, to show they were ready to earn their keep, if
necessary.

Poor little Mr. Mousie, though... =o( Or Mrs. Mousie. He probably thought
he had it made when he discovered a nice, dry pantry full of food. Instead,
he gets chased and scared to death by two cats.

Melissa

Old March 5th 05, 08:48 AM
kilikini

Mary wrote:
[...]

I always felt sorry for the mice too, but, hey..........your kids did their
job and they had fun doing it. I think it's time for treats! :~)

kili

Old March 5th 05, 11:44 AM
melizabeth

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations to the mousers! I'm sorry for the little mousie, too, but
you're right...that is their job.

Old March 5th 05, 10:10 PM
Mary

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Congrats to the kitties!

I feel sorry for the mouse, too. But on the other hand, they just did
EXACTLY the thing that brought humans to domesticate the first wild cats
thousands of years ago. They killed a mouse that was, without question,
helping itself to your food stores.

That's what cats' job description was, for centuries: neutralizing
rodents. And in some cases, it's still some cats' job today. Kudos to the
felines for a job well done.

Donna, and the kitties who kill TOY mice very well, Captain and Stanley

You are right, Donna. And I should be thankful in a way that they just
played with it until it had a heart attack (or whatever happens to the
poor mousies) because there was no blood at all. Cheeks has been
so pleased with herself all day! And slept very deeply last night.
My great hunter, all tuckered out.

Old March 5th 05, 10:17 PM
Mary

"Melissa Houle" wrote

Yup... ANd despite decades of domesticity, they haven't forgotten about

it.
They're still little predators, at heart. The girls gave you an admirable
example of their skill, to show they were ready to earn their keep, if
necessary.

I know! I have gazed at them all day, as they slept in the sunshine,
thinking, "OMG, you are useful!! Who KNEW?" Incredibly
beautiful, funny and interesting, warm and fuzzy and now,
handy. Can it get any better than that? Ooops, sure
it can. They could have come with a trust fund!!

Old March 6th 05, 12:14 AM
Mary

"kilikini" wrote in message

( I really am
sorry for the mousie, but it is the natural thing for them to do.)

I always felt sorry for the mice too, but, hey..........your kids did

their
job and they had fun doing it. I think it's time for treats! :~)

Yes, Kili, I thought so too! It was Pounce and fresh catnip on the
Alpine Scratchers for everyone!