Help!

Old May 24th 05, 07:50 PM
wafflycat

Default Help!

Francis... that cat of mine that's supposed to be NotOfThisWorld if a
certain vet had his way... the cat with CRF...

Francis has decided to cast his opinion on what I've been feeding him: by
catching his own.

About an hour ago I heard squeals and crashing noises in the dining room. I
rushed to investigate and I find Francis with a young rabbit clamped firmly
in his fangs.

The rabbit is now in a temporary box in the office, in the quiet and dark
(box is closed but has plenty of airholes) and has a supply of fresh grass
and carrot in with it. The rabbit is *terrified* so I[m leaving it alone to
give it a chance to calm down.

Help! It's young. Rabbits have specific warrens - I don't know of any
obvious ones round me at all, so heaven knows where this one has come from.
Any wild rabbit experts out there? I'm a bit concerned that if I release it,
it may not survive as I haven't a clue where its home warrn is. Does this
mean I now have a pet, even if it is temporary until it reaches adulthood &
could cope?

Cheers, helen s

Old May 24th 05, 08:31 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Look for a local wildlife rehabber. If none are near you that you could
take the bunbun to, than maybe one that could offer advice over the phone?

We have wild bunbuns in our yard, they eat the weeds as much as the grass
(clover, dandelion, etc.) Last year we were going to spread
weed-killer/grass-fertilizer until I saw the rabbits in the yard. Now they
have plenty to eat. We also feed the stray cats, so they won't be tempted
to catch any of the birds, skwirls and bunbuns in our yard - so far it seems
to be working!

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 24th 05, 08:53 PM
wafflycat

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
newsiLke.5242$PS3.3409@attbi_s22...

Look for a local wildlife rehabber. If none are near you that you could
take the bunbun to, than maybe one that could offer advice over the phone?

I've just got off the phone to George at PACT, the shelter I got Marble
from. PACT is in the middle of the Norfolk countryside and they deal with
all sorts of animals. Bunbun has a new home :-) PACT's wildlife area! I'm
keeping Bunbun for a few days to feed it up and then it's off to PACT with
it.

As an aside - speaking to George, it seems the Tsunami appeals going on has
had a dreadful effect on non-tsunami charities. In PACT's case, fundraising
is down 25% this year across the board :-( And he's just spent £7500 getting
three dogs healthy - PACT do not put animals to sleep unless there's no
alternative & it's the correct *medical* thing to do. The animal comes
first. Sigh. I know the tsunami victims need help - it's just such a shame
that it's at the unintentional cost of other charities.

Cheers, helen s

Old May 24th 05, 10:05 PM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs for the little rabbit and how wonderful Francis is feeling so
well.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"wafflycat" waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote in message
[...]

&
could cope?

Cheers, helen s

Old May 24th 05, 11:45 PM
William Hamblen

On 2005-05-24, Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:

We have wild bunbuns in our yard, they eat the weeds as much as the grass
(clover, dandelion, etc.) Last year we were going to spread
weed-killer/grass-fertilizer until I saw the rabbits in the yard. Now they
have plenty to eat. We also feed the stray cats, so they won't be tempted
to catch any of the birds, skwirls and bunbuns in our yard - so far it seems
to be working!

One evening I watched a rabbit eating a dandelion in my back yard. First it
circled around the plant, eating the leaves one at a time from tip to stalk.
Then it bit off the stalk and sucked it in like a child eating a strand of
spaghetti. The flower was the last thing to disappear inside its mouth.

Hilarious.