it's a mistake

Old May 31st 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Carrier - was it's a mistake

On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:25:09 -0400, "W. Leong"
wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

The Sherpa bags are a bit pricey (I only got one because hurricane Rita
was heading this way - right after Katrina - and all the regular carriers
were sold out (I'd had only three, not having gotten one after getting
Sammy and not having had to take them all anywhere at the same time until
then - I have one that's a large dog carrier that could have held both
Sammy and Bandit in an emergency, but wouldn't have been good for a 10+
hour drive which is what we were facing for that evacuation)) - *BUT* they
are *WONDERFUL*. They have zippered openings on the top, on the long
side, and on the short side to make it easy to get cats in and out. They
are extremely light-weight, and they have a shoulder strap that makes it
*very* easy to carry.

They are pricey. I checked online. So far I haven't found a local store that
carries it.
Haven't gone to Petsmart yet.
But I did find some lightweight carriers that either zippered on the top or
on the sides,
but not both. They are more affordable.
If Rusty stays healthy I don't have to use it much for going to the vet. It
will be used
when there is an emergency and I have to use the stairs. I live near the top
of
a hightrise
I do have a sturdy and heavier carrier which he sleeps in.

Winnie

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Hi again Winnie,

I lucked out one day and bought a sherpa at a thrift store for $5.00.
The bracing for the top was gone, but a friend of mine took a coat
hanger, wrapped it with duct tape and bent it into shape to hold it up
straight. It works great! Jacob, my 9 mos old hoolikitten, spent most
of his first 2 months in it - he went to work with me every day. Maybe
you can get lucky too!

Patti
Old May 31st 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"W. Leong" wrote in message
.. .

"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

You can always try bidding on one on EBay...
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...pa+cat+carrier

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 31st 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-31, Mishi penned:

I lucked out one day and bought a sherpa at a thrift store for
$5.00. The bracing for the top was gone, but a friend of mine took
a coat hanger, wrapped it with duct tape and bent it into shape to
hold it up straight. It works great! Jacob, my 9 mos old
hoolikitten, spent most of his first 2 months in it - he went to
work with me every day. Maybe you can get lucky too!

The only thing with bending a coat hanger -- isn't there some worry
that it could injure a kitty (for example the end of the hook part)?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 1st 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
"W. Leong" wrote in message
.. .
"Mishi" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 May 2006 19:49:34 -0400, "W. Leong"
wrote:

Hi Winnie,

Have you seen the carriers that look like the roll on luggage? Sorta
looks like these: http://tinyurl.com/pansw I have seen them around
here (central NY), and thought they were a good idea. You could always
get a kitty stroller: http://midnightpass.com/kitpetstrol.html , (I
like this one: http://tinyurl.com/oqd5z) or put his carrier in a
wagon. It is tough carrying them around for more than a few minutes!

Patti

Hi Patti,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kitty stroller is out of my price range.
I strapped Rusty's carrier onto a travel caddy cart used for
wheeling suitcases. But every time I did that, he 'dirtied' the carrier.
I think the pavement is too bumpy for his feline highness liking.
I am thinking of a carrier along the line of a sherpa bag.
Still have to go to the local Petsmart to check out what they have
in store.

Winnie

The Sherpa bags are a bit pricey (I only got one because hurricane Rita was
heading this way - right after Katrina - and all the regular carriers were
sold out (I'd had only three, not having gotten one after getting Sammy and
not having had to take them all anywhere at the same time until then - I
have one that's a large dog carrier that could have held both Sammy and
Bandit in an emergency, but wouldn't have been good for a 10+ hour drive
which is what we were facing for that evacuation)) - *BUT* they are
*WONDERFUL*. They have zippered openings on the top, on the long side, and
on the short side to make it easy to get cats in and out. They are
extremely light-weight, and they have a shoulder strap that makes it *very*
easy to carry.

Another satisfied Sherpa-bag user here. I could never lug Caliban around
if I didn't have the Sherpa with the shoulder strap. I could also never
get him *into* a normal carrier. He's learned that carrier = TED's, and
he fights me every time. Luckily he doesn't scratch or bite, he just
wrestles, and he is *strong*. But with the Sherpa bag, I unzip the top
and drop him inside. Much easier than stuffing him in from the front
(mine doesn't unzip along the side). There are several pockets that zip
up, two on the back and one on the side.

When I looked at Sherpa bags in the store last time, they had a Sherpa
rucksack. That might be even better, because the weight would be evenly
distributed on both shoulders, but it was pretty small, so I wouldn't
put Caliban in that.

Old June 6th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
The Sherpa bags are a bit pricey (I only got one because hurricane Rita
was heading this way - right after Katrina - and all the regular carriers
were sold out (I'd had only three, not having gotten one after getting
Sammy and not having had to take them all anywhere at the same time until
then - I have one that's a large dog carrier that could have held both
Sammy and Bandit in an emergency, but wouldn't have been good for a 10+
hour drive which is what we were facing for that evacuation)) - *BUT* they
are *WONDERFUL*. They have zippered openings on the top, on the long
side, and on the short side to make it easy to get cats in and out. They
are extremely light-weight, and they have a shoulder strap that makes it
*very* easy to carry.

I went to Petsmart today and bought a carrier. It is cheaper than a Sherpa
but
is similar to it. It may not be as sturdy as a Sherpa but probably lighter
as
Sherpa has all these metal clasps. Since I already have a sturdy and heavier
plastic carrier, I opt for this one.
It is a purrsday present for Rusty from my mother.
There is a picture of it at
http://tinyurl.com/jym3y

Winnie

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 7th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default it's a mistake

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
I usually don't brush the shorthaired kitties that much, and I found
out this weekend that's a mistake. Tommy and Eli got brushed and
between them lost enough fur to stuff a small pillow.

KFC is no longer able to take care of her personal grooming because
of her age so I comb her twice a week. A lot of hair always comes
out.
Boyfie's fur always looks pristine, as if he'd just come out of a
beauty salon. I've tried to groom him a couple of times but he
really doesn't like it: it's probably not necessary anyway.

Tweed

Have you tried the, Zoom Groom, I got one a couple of weeks ago and both
the
cats love it, they cost £4.99.

I got a really good deal today. I bought a new pedal bin which went through
the till at nearly twice as much as I expected so I queried it. I showed
the assistant where I had got it from and the shelf was clearly marked
"stainless steel pedal bin £8." Someone must have put the more expensive
one in the wrong place so as it was their mistake she said I could have the
14.99 one for 8.00.
I then nipped along the road to a big pet shop and bought a Zoom Groom ;-)
So I have a really nice bin and a free Zoom Groom.

lucky
Tweed

Old June 7th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

KFC must report on this!

Old June 7th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations! I hope at least one of your clowder enjoys the Zoom Groom.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 9th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

news

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

;-)
So I have a really nice bin and a free Zoom Groom.

lucky
Tweed

KFC must report on this!

She seems to like it. It is hand sized and has long rubber "fingers" on
which seem to draw out the dead hair. I've been grooming her a lot recently
with a dog comb, but the Zoom Groom seems to get out a little more every
time I use it.
As long as I praise her while I am grooming her she thinks she's being
petted and purrs up a storm, rubbing herself all around my legs. She does
*not* like having her thighs groomed where there are a couple of small
matted areas each side. I tried, but she threatens to slash so I'll have to
have help. I have a friend who is expert at handling animals of any kind.
I'll ask her to come over, we will cover Kitty's face with a towel and I'll
be able to get these little areas clear with a slicker brush. We last did
this to clip Kitty's claws. That also is not a one-person job.

I tried to groom Boyfie with the Zoom Groom. His immediate reaction on
having it applied to his back was to flatten down to the floor. I crooned
at him while I groomed him which made him feel a bit better. I got some
hair out of him with it, but not a lot. He is a very particular cat about
grooming himself and making himself look nice for Mimi ;-)

The Zoom Groom works really well but I feel that it's best suited to
confident cats who are very clear about humans won't hurt them. I hope to
work with Boyfie with it gently over a few weeks. Then I would like to see
him arch his back and say "yeah, bring it on!" I know he secretly likes
it, but it's a bit "full on" for him at the moment.
Don't forget that this is a cat that was so frightened (and lost, sleeping
in the conservatory) - secretly he thought! - that he bolted as soon as I
opened my back door.
He has done so well in getting confident enough to come inside. I was
overwhelmed when he got up on my knee while I was sitting quietly a while
ago and settled down for a little nap.
It's surprising how well he has come on. He invariably jumps over the 5
foot gate when I come home from work when he hears my car, to greet me and
escort me inside the house.
And no, he doesn't take me straight to his food bowl! (that would be Kitty's
first thought..) That doesn't seem to be his motive.
He seems genuinely happy to see me.
I love this cat :-)

Tweed

Old June 9th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

He certainly is a sweetie and very brave. Oh, I know the kind of matting you
are talking of with kitty. I hope you can get them out.