miane coon

Old February 19th 04, 04:33 PM
Mary

"den" wrote in message
om...
"Mary" wrote in message news:dQOYb.18120$%

He was our first pedigree cat we had a ginger tom who we got as an

abandoned kitten he died 5 years ago at the age of 13 we still have

female tabby whos is 18 but sadly she has cancer of the colon and

the
time is getting close to saying goodby

I see. I forgot to tell you that I am really sorry you lost both your
Maine Coon and your lovely ginger boy. I have a special love of
tabbies, and your poor little girl is very lucky to have you caring
for her. Be sure to come here and talk to us. Nobody here will ever
say "it was only a cat!" as we all know they are family members to
anyone with a heart.

When you are feeling low, go visit a no-kill shelter, and just get to
know the kitties a little. What you need more than anything is a
sweet, fun, affectionate darling that will be so grateful to you he
will love you forever. You will be surprised at how the young adults
are at these places. It is not like the pound where everyone is crying
and screaming and barking. The animals are pretty packed in, but they
are loved and socialized. The shelter owners can tell you all about
them, where they were found, what they are like. You can know what you
are getting, to a degree. One cat will come to you or look at you or
lean into your hand when you pet him, and win your heart.

Old February 19th 04, 06:44 PM
Mary

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
s.com...
Mary wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Heartbreak is watching these cats die every day while people PAY

for
in-bred cats that die young.

You have a valid point, but sometimes, certain cat breed have

specific
traits that a family needs to have, like low shedding, calm
termperament, etc., and the odds are a lot better getting a purebred
known for having the traits than a shelter cat. Not 100%, but
definitely better.

Nobody needs "certain traits" that bad. What's a little cat hair,
anyway?

Old February 19th 04, 08:38 PM
Hailey

Like other have said, go check out the local shelter and rescue groups. It
never ceases to amaze me what beautiful cats end up in shelters. We

adopted
a gorgeous long haired calico last September. She is a sweetheart. I don't
know why her people dumped her but she was found outside as a stray by a
worker with the local rescue group. She is well behaved and a real purr
monster. Will she live to be an old lady? Maybe not but she'll have a good
home in the meantime.

Sometimes their people (I love that, btw G) don't dump them Sometimes
it's completely an accident.
Our example is this: We own our own business, right here at home. We had a
truly wonderful kitty last year, had had him for a few years. He was soooo
sweet. And he LOVED his people. He would follow us all over. More than once
he managed, (though we tried like crazy to make sure he did not) to follow
Hubby into the warehouse. It's all attached, so if you don't watch closely,
one of the boys can easily sneak through. And Snickerdoodle did No one
knew though. It was late at night, hubby was preparing the big truck for an
early AM.
The boys all slept all over the house, so no one thought anything about not
seeing Snick before we went to bed. Sometimes we did, sometimes not.
Anyway, no one realized he was missing (he could go in an out side at his
leisure) until hubby got to a town several towns away. He opened the big
back door of the truck and little black streak whizzed past him. He just
kept running. The ride obviously terrified him half to death. That was the
last time we ever saw Snick. We still mourn him
Oh we did everything to find him. House to house, posters, shelters.
Our only hope was that Snick had been adopted and we cling to that hope no
matter how farfetched. Farfetched cus he was obviously loved and cared for,
AND, here's the biggie, he wore tags. So either someone took em off
(providing he did not become feral) or he lost them prior to being rescued.
Anyway, that's my sad story and how I realize not every cat in the shelters
we visit frequently is there cus someone dumped him or her.
I just hope and pray that someone loving and kind found Snicky and is giving
him a good life. I don't think I'd even ask for him back if that happened
and I ever found out about it. I just want him to be loved.

Hailey