Chickend Out

Old June 27th 05, 07:35 PM
jmcquown

Default Chickend Out

I feel better, really I do, after I slept a bit more and took some aspirin.
I know I'm only postponing the inevitable but I just can't bring myself to
go sit in a hospital waiting room today. Waiting for what? Absolution?
Maybe tomorrow. Thank you all for caring. I'll keep you posted.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old June 27th 05, 07:39 PM
W. Leong

I don't blame you. It is difficult to drag yourself on a Monday
to a hospital if you are feeling O.K. How about just making an
appt to see your own doctor? You do have a GP, don't you?
That way (s)he can refer you to any necessary tests.

Winnie

Old June 27th 05, 07:42 PM
Hopitus

Suggestion because I really ca instead of the ER (LOL where I used to
work) isn't there a nearby low-cost "walk-in" type clinic you could go to
(much, much less cost!) where they - as a matter of routine - take your B/P,
temp., pulse, etc.and give you some insight to your longtime ongoing pain?
Note: even walkins wait much less time than in any ER....

Old June 27th 05, 07:50 PM
CatNipped

"Hopitus" wrote in message
Suggestion because I really ca instead of the ER (LOL where I used to
work) isn't there a nearby low-cost "walk-in" type clinic you could go to
(much, much less cost!) where they - as a matter of routine - take your

B/P,
temp., pulse, etc.and give you some insight to your longtime ongoing pain?
Note: even walkins wait much less time than in any ER....

Also, most doctor's offices now-a-days have their own ECG machines and a
doctor's visit costs a lot less than an emergency room visit. You could at
least set your mind to rest about a possible heart problem.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 27th 05, 07:57 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

I feel better, really I do, after I slept a bit more and took some
aspirin.
I know I'm only postponing the inevitable but I just can't bring myself
go sit in a hospital waiting room today. Waiting for what? Absolution?
Maybe tomorrow. Thank you all for caring. I'll keep you posted.

While I hope you will go in, taking aspirin -- not ibuprofen,
Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, or naproxen -- is a very, very good
idea. While 81mg/day is adequate for maintenance of cardiac benefits, at
this point, I'd be sure to take at least 1 full-strength 325mg tablet a
day until you are evaluated.

If you get a recurrence of pain, immediately CHEW one 325 mg tablet. (I
know, it won't taste good. Think of yourself as being pilled and you
aren't responsible for it). If something is going on, aspirin can help
limit damage.
Old June 27th 05, 08:03 PM
W. Leong

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

I feel better, really I do, after I slept a bit more and took some
aspirin.
I know I'm only postponing the inevitable but I just can't bring myself
go sit in a hospital waiting room today. Waiting for what? Absolution?
Maybe tomorrow. Thank you all for caring. I'll keep you posted.

While I hope you will go in, taking aspirin -- not ibuprofen,
Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, or naproxen -- is a very, very good
idea. While 81mg/day is adequate for maintenance of cardiac benefits, at
this point, I'd be sure to take at least 1 full-strength 325mg tablet a
day until you are evaluated.

If you get a recurrence of pain, immediately CHEW one 325 mg tablet. (I
know, it won't taste good. Think of yourself as being pilled and you
aren't responsible for it). If something is going on, aspirin can help
limit damage.

Naproxen should be taken with food to avoid irritating the stomach. Same for
aspirin, I think.

Winnie

Old June 27th 05, 08:12 PM
Pat

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote

While I hope you will go in, taking aspirin -- not ibuprofen,
Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, or naproxen -- is a very, very good
idea. While 81mg/day is adequate for maintenance of cardiac benefits, at
this point, I'd be sure to take at least 1 full-strength 325mg tablet a
day until you are evaluated.

If you get a recurrence of pain, immediately CHEW one 325 mg tablet. (I
know, it won't taste good. Think of yourself as being pilled and you
aren't responsible for it). If something is going on, aspirin can help
limit damage.

My whole life, whenever I have taken aspirin, even as a small child, I let
it dissolve completely in my mouth, then chew it. I think it's easier on the
stomach that way. I have never taken any non-prescription pain reliever
aside from aspirin, and probably never will. I'm sure they taste unbearably
bad....

Old June 27th 05, 08:44 PM
jmcquown

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

I feel better, really I do, after I slept a bit more and took some
aspirin.
I know I'm only postponing the inevitable but I just can't bring
myself to
go sit in a hospital waiting room today. Waiting for what?
Absolution? Maybe tomorrow. Thank you all for caring. I'll keep
you posted.

While I hope you will go in, taking aspirin -- not ibuprofen,
Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, or naproxen -- is a very, very good
idea. While 81mg/day is adequate for maintenance of cardiac benefits,
at this point, I'd be sure to take at least 1 full-strength 325mg
tablet a day until you are evaluated.

I already consume two 325mg tablets a day due to arthritis in my hands. The
SSDI doctor was able to confirm I do indeed have arthritis in my hands.
This is what kills me... I never claimed arthritis as a debilitating
illness, it was more an offhand comment to the case-worker. It hadn't been
diagnosed by anyone but me. Suddenly it became 50% of the focus on my case.
Um... what about all the other crap that is wrong with me? You know, the
stuff I put on the forms? LOL

If you get a recurrence of pain, immediately CHEW one 325 mg tablet.
(I know, it won't taste good. Think of yourself as being pilled and
you aren't responsible for it). If something is going on, aspirin
can help limit damage.

I will still go to the doctor, I just can't bring myself to do it today.
I'm nuts, I know. But I went to take a bath and there was a huge palmetto
bug in the tub which I had to grab and flush... that grossed me out! After
that I couldn't bring myself to step into the shower. So I took 2 aspirin
and I'll call myself in the morning

Jill

Old June 27th 05, 08:59 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

wrote:

[...]

But naproxen does not have the cardiac protective effect of aspirin.
That's why I was saying aspirin and only aspirin.

Brief explanation of what aspirin does for the heart: everyone has some
degree of blood vessel narrowing from cholesterol plaques. When people
get into vascular trouble, the vessel is blocked, or, even worse, a
plaque and/or clot tears loose and winds up blocking a vital blood
vessel, as in the brain or heart.

The strongest chemical known for causing blood vessels is thromboxane,
which is released when platelets rupture. Now, in the event of major
trauma, platelets rupturing and causing both clotting and clamping down
of the blood supply to the area is a Good Thing.

Having platelets hit a cholesterol plaque, rupturing, and causing
thromboxane-induced clamping down of a relatively normal blood vessel
(i.e., vasoconstriction) is a Bad Thing when it happens, for example, in
the heart.

Aspirin inactivates a partial amount of the thromboxane release system,
enough to desensitize platelets not to burst on plaques, but still be
adequate (maybe extending bleeding a little) to have proper clotting
after a significant injury. Only aspirin, of the over-the-counter
painkillers, has this effect on platelets. If anyone cares, chemically,
it's because only aspirin has an active acetyl group that links to and
blocks some of the thromboxane precursors.

Yes, if anyone who understands the details is reading, I have simplified
thromboxane A and B forms, etc.
Old June 27th 05, 09:06 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "Pat"
wrote:

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote

[...]

Probably comparable but less sour. Aspirin is a fine drug for people who
can tolerate its effects on the stomach, and don't have other side
effects such as ringing in the ears. It's probably the best fever
reducer. In general, it should not be used in children under 14 without
specific medical direction. If you have bleeding disorders (e.g.,
hemophilia) or are expecting surgery or a very hard workout, it probably
should be avoided.

Acetaminophen/paracetamol is apt to be best for headache and for not
upsetting the stomach. As opposed to the others, it has zero effect on
inflammation. It's safe in children under 14. There is more and more
data that any alcohol consumption with it is dangerous to the liver.

Ibuprofen and naproxen are the best for preventing as well as treating
menstrual cramps. They are also probably best for muscle pain. At the
over-the-counter dose, naproxen is anti-inflammatory, but you have to
double the dose to get ibuprofen to have an anti-inflammatory effect.
Naproxen needs to be taken less frequently, and is probably a little
more effective. I believe naproxen is still on prescription in Canada,
and I don't know if this is true for other countries.

I keep all three classes around: aspirin for regular cardiac care,
acetaminophen for headaches, and naproxen for inflammation.