Betty - possible bone cancer

Old August 16th 05, 06:15 PM
Takayuki

Default Betty - possible bone cancer

Last night, Betty started smacking her lips and occasionally rubbing
at her jaw, which was unusual, so I checked her mouth and found that a
lower fang seemed to be slightly misaligned. I set up a vet
appointment this morning to have it looked at.

The vet found that the tooth was very loose, and Betty's lower jaw
seems to be swollen, and the bone misshapen. She thinks that it is an
aggressive form of bone cancer. Betty was given an x-ray to see if
the cancer has spread. Her chest and organs seemed to be clear.

Betty is scheduled for a bone biopsy on Thursday. Results will come
back about 10 days after that, and then Betty may be referred to the
local veterinary oncology center.

In case the jaw area is infected, Betty is to be given liquid
antibiotics. It must taste pretty bad, because she's never struggled
with me as much as when I gave her some. Her normally pristine white
ruff was spotted with pink saliva from the blood coming from the
inflamed area of her jaw.

I'm terribly worried about my little baby Betty. I don't know what
happened - she seemed so normal, and then there was just a little lip
smacking.

Old August 16th 05, 06:20 PM
Dan M

The vet found that the tooth was very loose, and Betty's lower jaw
seems to be swollen, and the bone misshapen. She thinks that it is an
aggressive form of bone cancer. Betty was given an x-ray to see if
the cancer has spread. Her chest and organs seemed to be clear.

Poor baby! We will definitely be keeping Betty in our purrs, and will be
looking forward to hearing more when the results come back.

It is incredible the things that seemingly innocent behaviors can turn up.
Cleo started making grimacing faces late last week, and it turned out to
be due to a tumor in her mouth. The vet believes it has been forming for a
while, so she had been uncomfortable for a while but didn't do anything to
show it.

Dan
Old August 16th 05, 06:20 PM
Marina

Takayuki wrote:

I'm terribly worried about my little baby Betty. I don't know what
happened - she seemed so normal, and then there was just a little lip
smacking.

Oh, Tak, that's very worrying. We will be purring hard that turns out to
be 'just' an abscessed tooth or something else easily treatable. Poor
Betty! Poor you! We will be thinking of you both. Please keep us updated.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old August 16th 05, 06:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:15:50 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:

[...]

Oh Tak! How awful! It has to take so long, too, before you find out.
Powerful purrs for your little girl to be OK.

Theresa
Old August 16th 05, 06:35 PM
Takayuki

Dan M wrote:

Poor baby! We will definitely be keeping Betty in our purrs, and will be
looking forward to hearing more when the results come back.

It is incredible the things that seemingly innocent behaviors can turn up.
Cleo started making grimacing faces late last week, and it turned out to
be due to a tumor in her mouth. The vet believes it has been forming for a
while, so she had been uncomfortable for a while but didn't do anything to
show it.

I haven't been posting much lately, but I am so glad that Cleo is
feeling better. It's true that these things seem to happen so
quickly.

Old August 16th 05, 06:36 PM

wrote:

[...]

Oh, {{{{Takayuki}}}}}, I am so sorry.

I really hope there is something they can do for poor Betty. Purrs
heading your way.

Blessings,

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old August 16th 05, 06:39 PM
Takayuki

Marina wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

I'm terribly worried about my little baby Betty. I don't know what
happened - she seemed so normal, and then there was just a little lip
smacking.

Oh, Tak, that's very worrying. We will be purring hard that turns out to
be 'just' an abscessed tooth or something else easily treatable. Poor
Betty! Poor you! We will be thinking of you both. Please keep us updated.

They seem to feel that it's low probability that it's a bone
infection, higher probability that it's a fibrous tumor, and the
highest probability is that it's a bone cancer.

After I gave Betty the antibiotics and she ran away, she came back to
me a few moments later, smacking her lips as badly as ever, and
sniffing my tears with a concerned air. I hope that we'll be together
for a long time.

Old August 16th 05, 06:40 PM
Christina Websell

OMG Tak. Tears have already sprung to my eyes on reading this because I
know you love her almost more than life itself. I will pray for it to be a
mis-diagnosis and for your panic to be eased.
{{big hugs}}

Tweed

Old August 16th 05, 06:42 PM
Adrian

Takayuki wrote:
[...]

Tak. I'm so sorry to read this, Betty's always been such a special cat.
Purrs that whatever is wrong can be treated and Betty ha s many more
years ahead of her.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old August 16th 05, 06:57 PM
Marina

Takayuki wrote:

After I gave Betty the antibiotics and she ran away, she came back to
me a few moments later, smacking her lips as badly as ever, and
sniffing my tears with a concerned air. I hope that we'll be together
for a long time.

I hope so too. {{{Tak}}}

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Parting with Betty Takayuki Cat anecdotes 8 January 28th 05 12:16 PM
intestinal cancer K. Bruner Cat health & behaviour 10 January 21st 05 06:44 PM
help with cancer in kitties AmberBarbara Cat health & behaviour 2 June 28th 04 01:58 AM
Betty fantasy Takayuki Cat anecdotes 11 March 13th 04 09:10 PM
Betty the bull L. Kelly Cat anecdotes 5 September 24th 03 05:45 PM