"Making Arrangements" for Cats

Old September 30th 04, 06:12 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:29:18 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I'm wondering at what the older members of this group (or any of you, for
that matter) may have done as far as making arragements for their cats to be
taken care of if they should pass away before their cats do.

This subject was brought up on another group and it got me wondering. My DH
and I haven't made out our wills yet (really, really need to - it just
hasn't seemed urgent since our kids are grown and, aside from our house, we
really don't have a pot to p*ss in ;).

However, thinking about what might happen to my fur-babies should something
happen to both of us has made it seem more urgent.

Giving them to my son is out of the question because his wife will not
tolerate a cat in the house (the cat my son has had since before his
marriage has managed just fine since she was born and raised outside, and
they live on a dead-end, very quiet street). Their current kitten will
probably join his other cat outside as soon as he's old enough in my DIL's
eyes.

My cats, however, have never been outside and would not know how to cope.

Neither would I want my daughter and SIL to take them - they have two d*gs
and are not really "cat people".

So, I have no idea what would happen to my babies, and have now gotten
myself all worried about it. I can only hope that they do not outlive me
and from now on only adopt older cats. Thankfully, my family is very
long-lived (my grandmother was still walking 5 miles a day when she died at
age 105, and my mother, 78, goes dancing or bowling every day of the week),
so I'm hoping this problem will never arise.

Anyway, what have others here done?

Hugs,

CatNipped

I've got them in my will. It's a legal will, although I did it myself
rather than through an attorney. If anything happens to me, DH, of
course, gets the cats. Should anything happen to both of us, I have
my ex-husband as Executor, and a dear friend in Indiana willing to
take the cats. I even have my obit written, with donations going to a
local cat shelter. I was a Girl Scout briefly, and like being
prepared ;-)

Ginger-lyn

Old September 30th 04, 07:55 PM
Exocat

I've done much as Jeannette so won't bother saying it all again.

What a great idea to bring up the topic, it's pretty important.

Purrs

Gordon & the TT

--
Feline family viewable at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/exocat

"Jeanette" wrote

When Ade and I are both gone, whatever cats we have at the time of
our
death will go to the local Branch of Cats Protection to be rehomed.
There is
provision in our wills for a £500 donation to the Branch for each
cat, to
stay with the Branch, rather than the cat.

I've volunteered for this particular charity for nearly ten years
now, and
am confident that they will do the right thing for each cat.

Old September 30th 04, 09:48 PM
Enfilade

Should both me and my partner die, we have an arrangement that my
parents would take in our cats. While they don't really want house
cats, they've cat-sat for us in the past with our cats in their house
for several weeks (though we only had 2 cats then, and now have 4) and
I think that should we both die, my parents would feel obligated to us
to care for our cats in our place.

--Enfilade

Old September 30th 04, 10:14 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Our newspeople must be pet-psychics. The following story was posted just a
few minutes ago:
http://www.theindychannel.com/family...90/detail.html

University Expands Home For Pets Whose Owners Died
POSTED: 4:53 pm EDT September 30, 2004
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- A Texas A&M rest home for pets whose owners have
died is so successful it's expanding.
The Stevenson Companion-Life Care Center serves pet owners who contractually
make an endowment to guarantee care for their animals after they're gone.
That care is provided by one of the country's top veterinary medicine
schools.
The concept has been so successful that the 11-year-old center will dedicate
a 3,500-square-foot expansion this week.
Nearly 100 donors financed the work with $600,000 in contributions.
That's on top of the $4 million-plus endowment paid by the owners of 250
animals from 18 states.
Those deceased owners made plans to leave their pets under the care of
center director, his staff and A&M students.
Two students live at the house full-time and help provide the animals with
companionship.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old September 30th 04, 11:41 PM
Yoj

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...
Should both me and my partner die, we have an arrangement that my
parents would take in our cats. While they don't really want house
cats, they've cat-sat for us in the past with our cats in their house
for several weeks (though we only had 2 cats then, and now have 4) and
I think that should we both die, my parents would feel obligated to us
to care for our cats in our place.

--Enfilade

My kids are all cat people, so I know that any cats I might have at the
time would be taken care of. The only problem would be in adjusting
them from being indoor/outdoor cats to indoor only.

Joy

Old October 1st 04, 03:14 PM
Adrian

Mischief wrote:
I'm only 26, but I also suffer from depression. And back in July I
am sorry to say that I was close to suicide. But one thing stopped
me.

Who would take care of my cats?

My roommate would probably take care of them to a point, but she
probably would have to move out since she can't afford to pay rent for
our apartment by herself. And she can't take them home to her family
in Anaheim, because they have about 14 cats anyway, and I don't want
my furkids to be outdoor kitties.

I got Imp from a cat adoption group, so she would probably call them
and ask them to take Imp and Mischief too. I know they would find
good homes.

I am happy to say, that I'm feeling much better and I'm no longer
contemplating suicide. I'm back on my meds, and I've cut down doing
thigns that depress me (I won't go into what they are, but they
weren't really healthy)

I love my kitties very much. I've gone as far as to think of what
would happen if there was a huge disaster and I had to evacuate. I'm
not talking just putting the cats into carriers and then driving off
in my car, I'm talking extreme disaster, like Day after Tomorrow or
The Stand. (Hey, what can I say, I have an overactive imagination)
Whatever would happen, I would not leave my furkids behind.

Kristi

I'm glad you're feeling better, I have been in the same position and
knowing how much Snoopy loves me is what stopped me. I'm certain if it
wasn't for Snoopy, I ouldn't be here now.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.