Book Stores (Musings mostly OT)

Old August 6th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gracecat[_2_]

Default Book Stores And back to Coffee

On 2008-08-05 19:19:08 -0500, "Jofirey" said:

I do like my weekly Starbucks on the way to look after my
granddaughter. Glad it seems to have finally dawned on them that if
they are going to charge that kind of price for coffee, it had darn
well be exactly as ordered, served quickly and with a little luck
cheerfully. Otherwise we can get very nearly the same thing at any
truck stop.

Jo

That's about as often as I order Starbucks, unless it's during the
Fall. And then I'll make daily and sometimes twice daily trips to ALL
the cafes in search of that wonderful seasonal pumpkin flavored coffee.
(with caramel please!)

I agree with everybody. Sbucks is overpriced but we don't really have a
coffee cafe that's convienent other than Joe's at Books a Million. And
Joe's locally always hires the idiots it seems.

I've been looking at one of those nice espresso machines for a couple
years now. But I haven't gotten over the idea of paying $300 or more
for one. But really that's only 60 Starbucks Venti Triple Shot Caramel
Macchiatos with whole milk please.

Grace

Old August 6th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Book Stores (Musings mostly OT)

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Jofirey" wrote in message

Is there anything that tastes better than an ice cold Coke out of a
glass bottle on a hot day? So cold that ice crystals form when you
take off the cap?

Jo

I remember the small bottles out of the machine with great
nostalgia - I don't think I've tasted any drink that delicious
since. I noticed that they came out with the small bottles again
recently, but they cost a fortune and they just don't taste the
same.

Ear Twitches,

CatNipped

That's the corn syrup vs. good old fashioned cane sugar. Like they
don't know we can taste the difference.

Jo

Old August 6th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gracecat wrote:

I've been looking at one of those nice espresso machines for a couple
years now. But I haven't gotten over the idea of paying $300 or more
for one. But really that's only 60 Starbucks Venti Triple Shot Caramel
Macchiatos with whole milk please.

For some people, that would only take two months.

But you can get espresso machines for much cheaper. I had one that cost
only $50. They might be a bit more expensive now, but not 6 times as
much! Do you have Target in your area? They probably sell the low-end
ones for prices in that ballpark.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 7th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Sherry" wrote in message

The only book/music store that's close to us is Hastings. In the city,
they have Barnes & Noble,
Walden, one called Full Circle (I don't think that one is a chain
store)...anyway, Full Circle
used to have a cat.
I usually go to Barns & Noble if I'm in the city. Hastings always just
has a pot of free coffee on in the
sitting area. I can't tell the difference in that & STarbucks either.
Coffee is just coffee to me. Now, I
*can* tell the difference when a Coca Cola has been stored in the heat
too long, or is near the expiration
date on the package. Or has come from a plastic bottle or a can. I
know who has the best fountain
drinks, and whose are too syrupy or too watery.

Sherry

Is there anything that tastes better than an ice cold Coke out of a
glass bottle on a hot day? ?So cold that ice crystals form when you
take off the cap?

Jo- Hide quoted text -

Oh absolutely!! And the glass bottle part is crucial. I swear the
plastic bottles just don't have
that battery-acid burn going down that really wakes you up in the
morning :-)

Sherry

============
I was beginning to think it was just me that adores Coke from a glass
bottle. Around here the only ones you can get are the little 6 oz bottles
that cost as much as a half rack (12 pack) of cans. I really miss my cold
Coke from a bottle.

Pam S.

Old August 7th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 6, 5:08*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:

I was beginning to think it was just me that adores Coke from a glass
bottle. *

I quit drinking cans of coke back in February and the one time I had
a can I found my taste buds now considered something I used to drink
at least twice a day to be completely hideous- I took two sips and
chucked the can away! But it's still the best out of a glass bottle-
there's only one shop around here that sells glass bottles and it's
not exactly near but the other day I had to go past it (it's near the
post office and I got yet another of those "We rang the bell and you
weren't in" cards- we were in but I have given up on complaining since
the time the manager said to me "We've all done that") and it's a long
walk on a hot day so I went in, took a VERY cold bottle from the
fridge and asked the guy to open it for me. I swear it even sounds
different and it just hits every spot!

I think part of it is the sheer nostalgia for me. My parents didn't
approve of Coca-Cola (or any soft drinks but they for some reason
didn't like the American way of life invading Romford-Growing up there
everyone else wished someone would invade it or demolish it!) so it
was a big thing when we got one of those glass bottles of coke it was
usually on holiday or something and to taste one of those takes me
straight back to the days when sitting in a hot car with my brothers
and cousins, while all the grown up's were in the pub (They would be
done today- as the eldest I looked after up to 10 kids and I was only
6 myself when I first did it!) , drinking coke from a glass bottle
with a straw and if we were very lucky knowing there might be a second
or maybe a bag of crisps or if we were exceptionally lucky or for that
matter uncle Roy got plastered and became generous then we might even
be brought both a second coke AND a bag of crisps each! And at the
time thinking "This is fun"

Oh dear- I've got myself craving a glass bottle of coke and I don't
have time to go to that shop!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs