The big April blizzard

Old April 11th 05, 10:24 PM
CATherine

Default The big April blizzard

It stopped snowing after about 30 hours; but the wind went on and on
and on...taking the snow with it. The drifts got bigger and changed
shape and location. But the wind is finally down to a breeze and the
drifts are stable. The wind-driven snow-dunes look like sculptures in
some areas. And with no clouds, it is BRIGHT!!

Jeff spent a couple hours crawling over the drifts to get to the
woodshed to get firewood. At first he tried to walk across the drifts
but would fall through and flounder. Later he broke a path through to
the driveway and looked at the length of the 1/4 mile drive covered
with various sized drifts. Our landlord drove his tractor through the
pastures and walked the rest of the way to the house. He will let Jeff
use his tractor to dog us out. It has a small blade on it.

I won't be going to work until Thursday, so warm weather can help the
plowing he does. Then we will have to contend with mud. A couple
drifts are six feet tall and long. Actually, they are all long! But
some are only three feet deep. And some of them are broad. I am glad
we don't have storms like this very often. But it does water the dry
land and fill the water table.

But we are ok and warm and have food.

--
CATherine
Old April 11th 05, 10:38 PM
Hopitus

And here in metro MileHigh we have no drifts and warm
sun is turning snow to water, not ice. Vehicles are beginning to be
recognizable as such again.
Last night I noticed what to me was another strange thing: all night long
the bright light from outside made interior of our dwelling almost as bright
as a cloudy day.
Was this just the reflection of the snow? If so, how did
it make it up 4 floors to top floor of building?
Glad things not too bad for you, CAT.

Old April 12th 05, 03:47 PM
Lorraine

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:24:32 -0600, CATherine
wrote:

It stopped snowing after about 30 hours; but the wind went on and on
and on...taking the snow with it. The drifts got bigger and changed
shape and location. But the wind is finally down to a breeze and the
drifts are stable. The wind-driven snow-dunes look like sculptures in
some areas. And with no clouds, it is BRIGHT!!

Last week, (or maybe week before?) my boss drove out to Limon for a
funeral. He said they got stuck in a blizzard, and spent four hours
parked in what became known as the I-70 parking lot. He said after they
finally got moving again, a few miles up the road, they came upon a
whole bunch of snowmen lining the road and down the side.

So if you get bored, you know what to do. And post pictures!

L.

Old April 12th 05, 07:11 PM

wrote:

[...]

Glad you're okay and have heat and food! I've never been in a
blizzard, and hope to never be in one.

Ginger-lyn
who stocks up in the winter anyway, just in case.

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/glsummer/ (The Violence Against
Animals in Movies Website)
Old April 12th 05, 10:15 PM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"CATherine" wrote in message
It stopped snowing after about 30 hours; but the wind went on and on
and on...taking the snow with it. The drifts got bigger and changed
shape and location. But the wind is finally down to a breeze and the
drifts are stable. The wind-driven snow-dunes look like sculptures in
some areas. And with no clouds, it is BRIGHT!!

Jeff spent a couple hours crawling over the drifts to get to the
woodshed to get firewood. At first he tried to walk across the drifts
but would fall through and flounder. snip

April 4 (OT) jmcquown Cat anecdotes 10 April 5th 05 09:52 PM
April Fool's Hoaxes jmcquown Cat anecdotes 8 April 4th 05 07:40 PM
Pictures of Blizzard Gandalf Cat anecdotes 12 July 18th 04 11:31 AM
A little about Lucky and Blizzard, both RB now, and Kenzie, too. Gandalf Cat anecdotes 6 June 9th 04 06:01 AM
Sayy da 'Venture Cat update for April 2 Sammy da 'Venture Kitten Cat community 9 April 8th 04 03:44 PM