Diet cat food question

Old April 7th 05, 05:21 PM
Susan M

Default Diet cat food question

Hi the

My friend asked me a question about cat food and I don't know the question.

She has an overweight older cat and a slim 1 1/2 year old cat. The
overweight cat is to go on diet food (she ate all the kitten food and the
kitten ate all the regular food). My friend wants to know if eating diet
food will harm the little one/

Thanks!

Susan M
otis and chester

Old April 7th 05, 05:55 PM
CatNipped

"Susan M" smawdsley remove @shaw.ca wrote in message
news6d5e.918853$Xk.14371@pd7tw3no...
Hi the

My friend asked me a question about cat food and I don't know the
question.

She has an overweight older cat and a slim 1 1/2 year old cat. The
overweight cat is to go on diet food (she ate all the kitten food and the
kitten ate all the regular food). My friend wants to know if eating diet
food will harm the little one/

I don't know about "harm", but I know it's definitely not what's best for
her. Kittens need concentrated nutrition because their little tummy's just
can't hold enough "regular" food to provide for their growing bones and
muscles. Personally I would rather see my overweight cat eat the kitten
food than the kitten eating the "lite" food.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Thanks!

Susan M
otis and chester

Old April 7th 05, 07:18 PM
Dan M

Susan M wrote:
Hi the

My friend asked me a question about cat food and I don't know the question.

She has an overweight older cat and a slim 1 1/2 year old cat. The
overweight cat is to go on diet food (she ate all the kitten food and the
kitten ate all the regular food). My friend wants to know if eating diet
food will harm the little one/

Shouldn't harm the baby. If the little one starts to look skinny then
your friend might want to change something, but it didn't hurt my Samuel
or Tabitha to switch to adult "less active" food.

Dan
Old April 7th 05, 09:30 PM
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
She has an overweight older cat and a slim 1 1/2 year old cat. The
overweight cat is to go on diet food (she ate all the kitten food and the
kitten ate all the regular food). My friend wants to know if eating diet
food will harm the little one/

I wouldn't worry a lot about it, since the little cat is old enough.
What I would suggest is avoiding dry food altogether and feeding both
cats a good quality wet food.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 8th 05, 04:41 AM
CATherine

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:21:40 GMT, "Susan M" smawdsley remove
@shaw.ca wrote:

Hi the

My friend asked me a question about cat food and I don't know the question.

She has an overweight older cat and a slim 1 1/2 year old cat. The
overweight cat is to go on diet food (she ate all the kitten food and the
kitten ate all the regular food). My friend wants to know if eating diet
food will harm the little one/

Thanks!

Susan M
otis and chester

Dry diet food generally has more fiber and less carbohydrates; and the
kind I feed, Nutro Natural lite, has more protein; which a growing cat
needs. Many cats have their growth before they are two. But some
breeds like the Maine Coon are slwoer maturing. Cats really don't need
all those carbs since they are obligate carnivores. Most dry foods are
loaded with carbs. Lite food is the best combo for the price. Of
course there are much more expensive foods that are good. But Nutro
serves my cats well. One is 13 and the other is 2.

My diabetic cat (14) eats only canned food with no carbs. Look at the
ingredients. You should see only meats, fish, and vitamins. No food
starch or gravy. If you are worried about the young cat, you can
supplement his diet dry food with a dollop of canned kitten food. But
of course only when the overweight cat is not around!

--
CATherine