Successfully introducing 3 adult male cats?

Old October 20th 05, 10:14 PM
J King

Default Successfully introducing 3 adult male cats?

Hi

I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my barn
with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him up for
adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no luck. I love
having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets cold I'm going to
have problems leaving him out there. And he already follows me to the house
and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced adult male cats
successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it. My male neutred
Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten about 12 years ago!
He only stopped this about a year ago. I really don't want him to begin
again.

Thanks

Joanne

Old October 20th 05, 10:54 PM
Joe Canuck

J King wrote:

Hi

I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my barn
with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him up for
adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no luck. I love
having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets cold I'm going to
have problems leaving him out there. And he already follows me to the house
and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced adult male cats
successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it. My male neutred
Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten about 12 years ago!
He only stopped this about a year ago. I really don't want him to begin
again.

Thanks

Joanne

You may risk that again, particulary if that cat was spray for 11 years
after the original introduction.

First, determine if that is a risk you are willing to gamble on.

No introduction method is foolproof.

Old October 21st 05, 12:27 AM
Gail

The best way to integrate him is to provide him with a room of his own with
litter box, food, water, and a bed. Gradually over many weeks, expose him to
the others in the house. Mary L on this site set up a screen door so the
cats can see each other but not able to touch. She did this for many, many
weeks until no cats were hissing at each other. She also advised using a
Feliway dispenser to help calm them. I have integrated many cats and this
very slow approach has worked. The only cat I was not able to integrate was
a male, neutered neighbor's cat who sprayed inside my house and was
aggressive with my other cats (he was neglected by the neighbors and adopted
us). I resolved this conflict by keeping him in our garage (heated) with his
bed, food, water, and a litter box. He has a cat flap to go outside. You are
wonderful to care for this boy!! Even if you are not able to integrate him
or have him adopted, you can provide a warm shelter in the barn ( a closed
box with hay and a doorway cut into it) and provide him with good food and
water. You can use a Snuggle Safe Pad in his bed to keep him warm. It is not
the best scenario, but much, much better than being a stray.
Gail

Old October 21st 05, 01:13 AM
J King

Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that I
took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to Feliway.
I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe in the barn.
My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the barn....as long as
I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.

Joanne

ink.net...

Old October 21st 05, 01:58 AM
Karen

On 2005-10-20 19:13:42 -0500, "J King" said:

Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray
that I took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to
Feliway. I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be
safe in the barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in
the barn....as long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each
other.

Joanne

Snuggle safe is a plastic disc you put in the microwave and heat for 5
min. My vet has them and you can get them on line. Just google Snuggle
Safe. It distributes heat for about 12 hours. It should be perfectly
safe in the barn. But if he wants to come in, I'd definitely try
integrating.

Old October 21st 05, 03:09 AM
Gail

It is a plastic frisbee shaped disk that you microwave and place in a cat's
bed. It must be wrapped in a towel of a blanket and it is not flammable.
Here it is on the internet:
http://shop.petsmart.com/product/253...4441776038.htm
Gail
"J King" wrote in message
Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that I
took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to Feliway.
I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe in the
barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the barn....as
long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.

Joanne

ink.net...

Old October 21st 05, 06:45 AM
Phil P.

http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Old October 21st 05, 11:51 AM
Wendy

You can get Feliway Comfort Zone online.
http://nationalpetsupply.com/feliway.htm
http://www.carealotpets.com/listItem...UE&menFrm=True
http://www.biovets.com/scart/public/...ywords=Feliway
I'm sure a search for Feliway will come up with more places where it is
available.

"J King" wrote in message
Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that I
took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to Feliway.
I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe in the
barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the barn....as
long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.

Joanne

ink.net...

Old October 21st 05, 08:00 PM
J King

This might be the answer! I'm going to try to get 1 or 2 of them. If that
doesn't work then I'll try integration. Thanks!

Old October 21st 05, 08:00 PM
J King

Thanks...this looks great!

ink.net...
"J King" wrote in message
Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that
I took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to
Feliway. I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe
in the barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the
barn....as long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.

Joanne

ink.net...