FIP vaccination

Old March 19th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default FIP vaccination

You need to be careful in a multi cat environment. The shelters that we
volunteer at actually quarantines any new furball till all the test are
done and results in. Than all are treated properly and dealt with on a need
to need basis.

Every time we have had a new addition to the family the same was done here.
We have never had a sick cat yet except for rumble but epilepsy commonly
does not show up until 3 years of age and is not contagious.

"kaleigh" wrote in message
ups.com...
After visiting the Cornell site I feel better about their not being
vaccinated against FLV or FIP but may broach FHV-1 & FCV- although
again they are both well out of kittenhood and quite healthy. Maybe it
would be something to do only if new kitty were entering the
household.

Old March 19th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Your vet is probably right. There is a controversy about the FIP
vaccination and it's effectiveness. My vet doesn't recommend it either.

Sue
"kaleigh" wrote in message
ups.com...
Both my kitties live indoors. Although both rescues, they are 3 years
apart in age and free of health problems. Still I worry about FIP
knowing two people who each suddenly and tragically lost a young and
otherwise healthy cat to this disease.
My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?

Old March 19th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kaleigh wrote:

Yours is the second of 2 replies I received about the FIP vaccine being
controversial. It is good to hear from a non-clinical perspective. It
is hard to be objective about those I want to protect and keep with me
as long as they can stay. Thank you! Karen.

Until I moved to my present apartment, my cats have always
been indoor/outdoor. I always had them vaccinated for
everything going, then (NOT FIP, because the disease itself
has only been recognized comparatively recently, so the
vaccine was not offered.) Because I had lost a couple of
cats to FLV, I'd include that. However, now they're indoor
only, the vet does not feel some of the vacinations are
necessary, and she says there is always possibility of an
injection-site abcess.

Old March 19th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 19 Mar 2006 07:38:58 -0800, "kaleigh"
wrote:

Both my kitties live indoors. Although both rescues, they are 3 years
apart in age and free of health problems. Still I worry about FIP
knowing two people who each suddenly and tragically lost a young and
otherwise healthy cat to this disease.
My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?

This is just my personal opinion based on what I know, but here it is.

The FIP vaccination is not very helpful anyway, nor does the FIP test
give very accurate results. So in my book, it's a waste of money,
particularly since your kitties are indoor-only. If you rescue, there
may be more cause for worry, but I'd say in general, it isn't a big
likelihood that they will develop this.

My only worry is that you said your vet "refuses" to give it. I would
think she would tell you that it isn't all that helpful, or whatever,
and share information to try to dissuade you from doing it, but
outright refusal is a bit concerning to me. I would talk to her about
it again before you make any decisions to change vets.

Just my $1.02 worth.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old March 19th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

[...]

Can I get my change back :-) just kidding

Old March 19th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kaleigh" wrote
Both my kitties live indoors. Although both rescues, they are 3 years
apart in age and free of health problems. Still I worry about FIP
knowing two people who each suddenly and tragically lost a young and
otherwise healthy cat to this disease.
My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?

Heed her advice! There's really no such things as a FIP vaccination! FIP
is an individual internal mutation of FCoV (the widespread and common
Feline Corona Virus) which kills owing to an inappropriate immune
response - this response can be triggered by the very "vaccination"
that's supposed to help.

Please visit www.dr-addie.com for a complete overview of FIP, she's a
world leader in research into the subject.

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

PS I lost a beloved cat to FIP last year and did a LOT of research
afterwards, so I know of what I speak.

Old March 20th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kaleigh" wrote in message
ups.com...
Both my kitties live indoors. Although both rescues, they are 3 years
apart in age and free of health problems. Still I worry about FIP
knowing two people who each suddenly and tragically lost a young and
otherwise healthy cat to this disease.
My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?

I think your vet is wise. Along these lines, a friend recently suggested
that I pick up a copy of "Shock to the System: The Facts About Animal
Vaccination, Pet Food and How to Keep Your Pet Healthy," by Catherine O'Driscoll.
She was very impressed with the research that went into effects of
vaccinations, and she considers this book to be a "must read." You might
want to take a look at it. You can go here to order it from amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/192...Fencoding=UTF8
(or, you could use this shorter link: http://tinyurl.com/mvovc)
MaryL

Old March 20th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My baby Rexie NEVER leaves the house (tho he did get out on the porch Fri and
gave me a heart attack! Got him back in by holding out his food dish!). My vet
insisted on vaccinating him, and now Loki, our new little one. Also, when I went
in to get "Mama" spayed (when all this started), she did the FIP test, and when
Mama tested negative, vaccinated her, cause she'd be living outside (tho on my
porch in a "house"), but coming inside periodically and therefore, be in contact
with Rexie and Loki.

(I just re-read that, I think it made sense!)

ShirleyB, Rexie and Loki’s Mom

Pictures of His Majesty, Rex: http://tinyurl.com/bvtjv
Pictures of Loki: http://tinyurl.com/9exao
Pictures of Mama & Kits: http://tinyurl.com/e5edz

Homepage: http://jumi-shirley-butler.com
Webmaster: http://www.vinotecawinebar.com

"Making A way out of no way is sometimes the only way"
Dr. Johnetta B. Cole

kaleigh eloquently related the following on 3/19/2006 7:38 AM:

Old March 20th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kaleigh wrote:
My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?

FIP vaccination is useless and more dangerous than it's worth.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he