Blimey, it's hot!

Old June 30th 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Blimey, it's hot!

UK is set for a heatwave, and today it was 27C. Boyfriend loves hot
weather.
He went out this p.m. and didn't return for his tea at 3.45 - the time that
he moans about all the time (is it time yet?)

I kept opening the back door to see if he was there because he is a creature
of habit. No. I called him with my special four part whistle. No. When
he hadn't returned by 5.45 I looked for his body on the road outside, as
there is building going on at the end of the road and lots of far too fast
lorries going along this previously quiet road.
No body phew

He strolled in at 6 pm from my garden. It's almost unheard of for him to
miss his teatime. I suppose he was sunbathing somewhere in a flowerbed.
He did this once before, go missing for hours in very hot weather so I guess
I shouldn't panic. But now the lorries are up and down the road, I do.
I am thinking about moving. I never thought I would say that. If I can get
a bungalow in a certain place, right next to my paddock 1/3rd acre down in
the village and only have to make a gate over a right of way path
I will seriously consider it.
There was one available last year. I should have done it.

This was once a wonderful place, everyone had at least 1/4 acre, some more
and all had hens, ducks, sheep, pigs which is why I moved there. Now the
original people have died and their children have sold up for building.
I've been offered a whole lot of money for my land. I always say No.
Unfortunately it blocks 3 of my neighbours from selling theirs which means
Boyfie has at least an acre to wander about in.
I'm not interested in being rich. I want Boyfie to have loads of room to be
a cat in.
Tweed

Old June 30th 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 7:49:31 PM UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:
I suppose he was sunbathing somewhere in a flowerbed.

Neither of our cats have moved much for the last 48 hours, Bonnie just crashes out on our bed and poor little Spirit on account of being so very Floofy is crashed out by an open window

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 30th 15, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

UK is set for a heatwave, and today it was 27C. Boyfriend loves hot
weather.

You would not like where I live! It is currently mid-afternoon in South
Carolina and the temp is 34C. Perfectly normal for this time of year.
(Actually, it's a little cooler today than it was a week ago.) It will
stay this way for the next several months. Sometimes hotter, but mostly
about like this. Humid, too.

He went out this p.m. and didn't return for his tea at 3.45 - the time that
he moans about all the time (is it time yet?)

They do try to coax us into feeding them a bit earlier.

I kept opening the back door to see if he was there because he is a creature
of habit. No. I called him with my special four part whistle. No. When
he hadn't returned by 5.45 I looked for his body on the road outside, as
there is building going on at the end of the road and lots of far too fast
lorries going along this previously quiet road.
No body phew

Thankfully!

He strolled in at 6 pm from my garden. It's almost unheard of for him to
miss his teatime. I suppose he was sunbathing somewhere in a flowerbed.

Both Persia (RB) and now Buffy enjoy napping in puddles of sunshine.
I do not do well without air conditioning.

He did this once before, go missing for hours in very hot weather so I guess
I shouldn't panic. But now the lorries are up and down the road, I do.
I am thinking about moving. I never thought I would say that.

Wow! I never thought I'd hear you say that!

If I can get
a bungalow in a certain place, right next to my paddock 1/3rd acre down in
the village and only have to make a gate over a right of way path
I will seriously consider it.
There was one available last year. I should have done it.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Maybe something will come available that you
like.

This was once a wonderful place, everyone had at least 1/4 acre, some more
and all had hens, ducks, sheep, pigs which is why I moved there. Now the
original people have died and their children have sold up for building.
I've been offered a whole lot of money for my land. I always say No.
Unfortunately it blocks 3 of my neighbours from selling theirs which means
Boyfie has at least an acre to wander about in.
I'm not interested in being rich. I want Boyfie to have loads of room to be
a cat in.
Tweed

All I can say is good luck. Hope it works out for you and for Boyfie.

Jill

Old July 1st 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 12:16:11 -0700 (PDT), Lesley Madigan
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 7:49:31 PM UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:
I suppose he was sunbathing somewhere in a flowerbed.

Neither of our cats have moved much for the last 48 hours, Bonnie just
crashes out on our bed and poor little Spirit on account of being so
very Floofy is crashed out by an open window

Just had a major (for this area) thunderstorm push thru San Diego county,
and GLyN decided he wanted to be inside. Except he HAD to follow me to
the mailbox first, rain or not. Now he's asleep on my bed.

We only get huge temps for a couple of days before we get a thunderstorm to
sort it out.
Boyfie is also asleep in his pyramid bed which he would never use until I
put it on top of a human bed.
Now he sleeps in it every night.

---

Old July 4th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

It was hot at 6am this morning when DH went to work. Sootie stayed out all
night, I think she spent a lot of it on our garage roof. There was a cat
fight about 4am. (much swearing from DH too) and when she did come inside
this morning there were three tuft of her fur sticking out but she didn't
seem hurt. She slept on the bed for 2 hours then went back outside. I
haven't seen her since but I haven't looked on the garage roof.

It's a shame that you're having to think about moving.

Judith

It was even hotter on Wednesday, 33C! Unbearable. I stayed in all day,
actually glad for once that the temperature in my house is always lower than
outside.

Boyfie is absolutely in his element, he loves hot weather. He is out most
of the day but comes in to sleep at intervals on his beloved freezer in the
conservatory (which is shaded). He isn't allowed out during the night.

However, we had a massive thunderstorm during the night last night. It woke
me up, the thunder was like a bomb going off, the lightning was spectacular
and so was the rain which has done the garden good and sorted out the
temperature to a more reasonable level.

George II was right. He said "The English summer consists of 3 fine days
and a thunderstorm" so it's always been so ;-)

I probably won't move. Knee jerk reaction to "what part of I have tolerated
this barking for 18 months, told you about it nicely, and he was doing it
again because you left him for 7 hours don't you understand?"
It's really frustrating. I don't blame the dog at all. Dogs are pack
animals and the poor chap gets terribly lonely.

I don't think cats mind too much being left because they are naturally
solitary, although I don't leave Boyfie for too long normally. He won't
scream the house down when I go out for a day at the seaside soon but his
tea will be late that day. He won't be happy about that.
He likes his breakfast, but his teatime meal is very important to him. 3.45.
No later.

Old July 5th 15, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

Sootie had stayed out on Friday night, I'd tried to get her in several
times during the evening but gave up went to sleep about 12.30am. Apart
from searching all the gardens and rooves I stood no chance. then when the
storm broke and it was spectacular, I rushed downstairs and called her
again. No sign of her. I got up at 6am and there she was sitting on the
patio, dry and calm as you like. she'd seen it before and wasn't impressed
then either.

So you got the big storm too? Two houses were struck by lightning near here
and one went on fire :-(
Boyfie was safely tucked up in his pyramid bed on top of the spare bed.
He's very frightened of "normal" thunder.
This was megathunder. The lightning never paused, just kept coming.
Amazing. Then the torrential rain which of course flooded under the bridge
(again) This bridge is the bane of my life as I have go under it to get
anywhere and as soon as we have an hour of "big" rain, it's impassable for 2
days.
I can't count the number of cars that get stuck trying their luck with the
water under there. I wish I had a 4x4, I could earn a whole lot by waiting
at the side and towing them out cheaper than the local garage ;-)

Tweed

Old July 10th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

this
morning, the school had been struck. There's loads of damage, computer
stuff, fire alarm, telephone system, CCTV, etc. the school has had to be
closed to pupils but the staff are all in trying to sort things out.

Judith

Well, sorry about that but that just English weather, I suppose.
In a week gone from 33c down to 19. And there was even nearly a frost
overnight up country, down to .6c
I keep taking my baby courgette plants in and out of my porch. They are
getting leggy by being in the porch but I keep them inside out of the wind
because their stems can't take it. I am leaving them out tonight.
Nothing has germinated well this year, i've had to sow everything twice. I
doubt my beans will do any good now.

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old July 12th 15, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , can keep an
eye on her garden for any interlopers whatever the weather,

Judith

what does Sootie do about interlopers?

Old July 14th 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , can keep an
eye on her garden for any interlopers whatever the weather,

Judith

what does Sootie do about interlopers?

She attacks them and chases them off. It's usually Marvin and if he can,
he makes a dash for the hole in the fence to his garden. Sootie has been
known to follow him through the hole and start a fight and Marvin doesn't
always run so then there's a fight. They don't always fight if they are in
his garden but Sootie will always chase him out of ours.

I don't know where this cat lives. What I do know is he is a nuisance. The
first time fight he actually came into Boyfie's conservatory and attacked
him when he was meatloafing on his beloved freezer. I'm fed up with it,
Boyfie has fought with him 4 times now and he's got beaten up badly last
weekend. I'm considering my position about this cat.
If he does it again, I will trap him. If he has a microchip he will be
returned home. If he doesn't I will put a collar on him with a note and if
he returns without a reply, he's off to the cat's home to be rehomed.