Urinary tract food supplements

Old November 7th 04, 02:16 PM
DaZzo

Default Urinary tract food supplements

Hi

My cat(Ernie) has had to have a couple of emergency ops due to crystal
build up. We have been feeding him on a dry PH controlled food since
his first diagnosis and now the vet is saying feed him the wet food
version.

All this PH balanced food is extremely expensive(which I don't mind
paying for my boy), but I was wondering if there was a cheaper option
such as a supplement that can be added to normal food.

I have read up on VegeCAT pH, but am unsure if this would help or not,
also if it can be added to meat meals as I don't think my cat would
like to be a vegetarian.

Can anyone assist?
Old November 7th 04, 02:53 PM
PawsForThought

From: (DaZzo)

My cat(Ernie) has had to have a couple of emergency ops due to crystal
build up. We have been feeding him on a dry PH controlled food since
his first diagnosis and now the vet is saying feed him the wet food
version.

Yes, definitely get him off that dry stuff. That's what's probably caused the
problem to begin with.

All this PH balanced food is extremely expensive(which I don't mind
paying for my boy), but I was wondering if there was a cheaper option
such as a supplement that can be added to normal food.

There are supplements I'm sure. But I would first get your cat on an all wet
diet. You can do this by starting adding water to the kibble so he gets used
to a wetter consistency. Or you can take the kibble and smash it into a powder,
add water until it's a paste consistency. Then add a small amount of canned
food to it. Every few days, you'll add more canned to the mixture, until
eventually you have all canned. Unless of course you happen to have one of
those rare cats that take to canned food immediately. I would recommend
getting a high quality canned food. Quite a few people here have had success
with Wellness.

I have read up on VegeCAT pH, but am unsure if this would help or not,
also if it can be added to meat meals as I don't think my cat would
like to be a vegetarian.

I've never heard of this. Cats must have meat and I absolutely would not feed
them a vegetarian food.

Good luck

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old November 7th 04, 02:53 PM
PawsForThought

Old November 8th 04, 01:10 AM
~*Connie*~

There are herbs that you can put him on to help. so does acupuncture.
Vitamin C also helps. You might want to find a holistic vet for alternative
solutions.

m...

Old November 8th 04, 04:56 AM
Phil P.

"~*Connie*~" wrote in message
There are herbs that you can put him on to help. so does acupuncture.
Vitamin C also helps.

Unwarranted vitamin C supplementation in cats may be detrimental because
excess ascorbic acid is excreted in the urine as *oxalate* - high
concentrations of oxalate have the potential to contribute to the formation
of *calcium oxalate uroliths* in the urinary tract. Calcium oxalate
uroliths cannot be dissolved in cats and usually require surgical removal.

I think I mentioned this to you once or twice before.

Old November 8th 04, 02:19 PM
DaZzo

Many thanks for all of you comments so far.....I am a bit confused now
though.

The vet gave us some Walthams pouches and we also have the Hills food
for the Urinary conditions. The cat doesn't seem to like this at all.

We also have another cat(female) who we feed normal wet food. Ernie
will eat normal wet food all day if given the chance....but I am
worried that normal food will cause issues again???