Good News, We Hope: OT, Probably Long, Boring and all the other warnings

Old August 19th 04, 09:56 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
wrote:

We went up to see the Neurosurgeon, Dr Ewend, at UNC (Chapel Hill)
today, and he said that he doesn't think that Rob's tumor is coming
back.

So glad to hear this optimistic report!! Purrs and fingers crossed
that more good news is on the way.

We learned this past weekend that my brother's cancer has definitely
returned. He went through radiation treatment the first time and
everything seemed A-OK. Now that it's back, the doctor says his body
can't take radiation any more and he'll have chemo this time instead.
So we understand full well the ordeal and anxiety you and Rob have
been through. We'll be thinking of you all.

I don't know how much experience you have had with chemo, but it's
important to realize that many people think it always has horrible side
effects. Yes, some forms do, but there are constantly less toxic
chemotherapeutic agents, as well as ways to manage the side effects.
Every case is different.

To put it somewhat in context, when Clifford (RB) was suddenly diagnosed
with advanced bladder cancer, noticeable mostly that his kitten-like
activity level had fallen off from his 17th birthday some months prior,
I discussed alternatives with several veterinary oncologiets. When they
told me that the most effective chemotherapeutic agent for cats was
cisplatin with radiation, I almost gave up on the spot, because
cisplatin has a pretty bad side effect profile in humans. They quickly
reassured me that cats tolerated it far better than humans.

He was not strong enough to go directly to that therapy, so we started
him on measures that both can shrink the tumor, conincidentally
controlling discomfort: piroxicam and prednisone. Things improved for a
short number of weeks, but then things relapsed. Still, given his
overall great health, I felt it was a reasonable strategy. The end was
very sudden.

Old August 19th 04, 10:08 PM
polonca12000

Oh wow, that's wonderful! I'm so very happy for you - you really do so
deserve this.
Continued purrs and best wishes for Rob and hugs for the rest of his family,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Tanada" wrote in message
nk.net...
We went up to see the Neurosurgeon, Dr Ewend, at UNC (Chapel Hill)
today, and he said that he doesn't think that Rob's tumor is coming
back. snip

Old August 19th 04, 10:08 PM
Tanada

JBHajos wrote:

We learned this past weekend that my brother's cancer has definitely
returned. He went through radiation treatment the first time and
everything seemed A-OK. Now that it's back, the doctor says his body
can't take radiation any more and he'll have chemo this time instead.
So we understand full well the ordeal and anxiety you and Rob have
been through. We'll be thinking of you all.

Purrs and healthy thoughts and wishes for your brother.
Alt.support.cancer is really good about both information and support for
those with cancer and their families. That group is almost as important
for me to follow as this one.

Pam S. grateful for all the support and friends here in RPCA

Old August 19th 04, 10:11 PM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for your brother, Jeanne, and hugs for his
worried family,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"JBHajos" wrote in message
snip
We learned this past weekend that my brother's cancer has definitely
returned. He went through radiation treatment the first time and
everything seemed A-OK. Now that it's back, the doctor says his body
can't take radiation any more and he'll have chemo this time instead.
So we understand full well the ordeal and anxiety you and Rob have
been through. We'll be thinking of you all.

Jeanne