FIP vaccination

Old March 19th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default FIP vaccination

Both my kitties live indoors. Although both rescues, they are 3 years
apart in age and free of health problems. Still I worry about FIP
knowing two people who each suddenly and tragically lost a young and
otherwise healthy cat to this disease.
My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?

Old March 19th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

No risk/exposure and she also vaccinates sparingly feeling the possible
risks associated with vaccinations (which I read at the time in
pamphlets but can't reiterate) are higher than risk of illness. They
really do not have direct contact with other kittiies, although they do
ocassionally go outside on harnesses.

Old March 19th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kaleigh" wrote in message
ups.com

My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?///

You vet sounds very good. The FIP vaccine has not been proven to be
particularly effective and personally, I would not vacinate my cats with
it.

Helen M

Old March 19th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kaleigh" wrote in message
oups.com...
No risk/exposure and she also vaccinates sparingly feeling the possible
risks associated with vaccinations (which I read at the time in
pamphlets but can't reiterate) are higher than risk of illness. They
really do not have direct contact with other kittiies, although they do
ocassionally go outside on harnesses.

Let me get this straight your vet sparingly vaccinates due to risk involved
in vaccinations but you cat goes outside
DO me a favor pick up the phone and call 5 vets in your area and ask them
about vaccinated a pet that goes outside is it worth the risk. He there
are risk as with all medicine
Do you have the newsgroup rec.pets.cats.health+behav if you do I want to
invite you over to the group Please go there and PING PHIL P and ask him
about this. He is not a vet but is the most knowledge person I have ever
dealt with that was not a doctor or a vet. this is his website
http://www.maxshouse.com/vaccine_protocols.htm

I have all my cats vaccinated some feline disease are from indirect contact
based some come from direct contact with other cats some are passed from the
litterbox so on and so on.
Personally new vet over the vaccinations I can understand the FIP
vaccination but the others. The FIP has too much controversy around it and
my vet does not recommend it due to the lack of evidence of it working.
Distemper is spread thru contact all you cat has to do is have an open
window thru the screen smell another cat that jumped up to him and the cat
is exposed. Rabies depending on where you are here in Florida it is a big
possibility Depending on where you live and your animal control laws what
would happen if your cat bite and scratched some one and animal control
seizes your animal and your cat is not vaccinated. ASK THE VET THAT

Old March 19th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I have may have over read into it
Was that for all vaccinations or just the FIP
if it was for all read the above post for the FIP yes the vet is right too
much controversy around the vaccine no evidence that it actually works

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message

oups.com...

Old March 19th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My kitties do have their distemper and rabies, thank goodness for
those. You are 2 of 2 (yours first) replies I have received on the
controversy of FIP vaccinations. I read some more on this site and
found late 90's anecdotes of kitties incorrectly diagnosed-even leading
to euthanizations- with FIP. Yikes. I will check out the link you
provided. Thank you for your concerns about us !

Old March 19th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yours is the second of 2 replies I received about the FIP vaccine being
controversial. It is good to hear from a non-clinical perspective. It
is hard to be objective about those I want to protect and keep with me
as long as they can stay. Thank you! Karen.

Old March 19th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kaleigh I forgot to say something in the first reply WELCOME TO THE GROUP
never hesitate to ask a question out here or that other group that I
mentioned there are a few nutballs here but I have only been a member for
less than a year and have made some great friends out here.

Matthew
oups.com...

Old March 19th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

After visiting the Cornell site I feel better about their not being
vaccinated against FLV or FIP but may broach FHV-1 & FCV- although
again they are both well out of kittenhood and quite healthy. Maybe it
would be something to do only if new kitty were entering the
household.