My cats are clawing me out of house and home!

Old May 6th 05, 07:22 AM
IBen Getiner

John Doe wrote:
A tough guy wanna-be troll.

PUSSY!

IBen GettinYaInDEEbootyHole

Old May 6th 05, 07:22 AM
IBen Getiner

Declaw. It worked for us. I know certain people won't want to hear
this, but our cat has never been healthier or happier! All the crap you

hear in places like this against declawing is put out there by
bunny-hugging blank-stare nut-jobs. Remember that. These are the types
of people who would row their already-filled-to-capacity lifeboat back
into the sea of drowning desperates at the scene of the Titanic
sinking. They are KOOKS. They are to be IGNORED.
Set up an appointment to have all ten taken out this week. None of your

liberal KOOK friends will ever know, lest it be YOU who will tell them
so!

Old May 6th 05, 07:32 AM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:
And what are you wearing?

Maybe we need to do an intervention here, sounds pretty out of control.
Do you have access to a local newspaper?

Yes. What do you think we should do? Send over a truck with
Cosmic Catnip Alpine Scratchers?

Old May 6th 05, 07:33 AM
John Doe

The troll is posting in duplicate now.

Old May 6th 05, 03:26 PM
bigbadbarry

Mary wrote:
And what are you wearing?

Maybe we need to do an intervention here, sounds pretty out of

control.
Do you have access to a local newspaper?

Yes. What do you think we should do? Send over a truck with
Cosmic Catnip Alpine Scratchers?

Yes, better get a couple of them, and some peroxide, A&D ointment,
eye-patch, and throw in a few cat treats.

Old May 7th 05, 03:58 PM
MaryL

"Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com" wrote in message
My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw them,
but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an easier way to
keep them from clawing without training them?

Surgery (declawing) would cost *much* more than Soft Paws -- and along with
it would come the possibility of several painful and unpleasant side effects
of amputation. This includes early onset of arthritis, biting and
inappropriate urination. Even in the "best-case" situations, the cat will
never have the same balance as a cat with its claws. That said, you *do*
need to train the cat if you do not want it to scratch furniture because
scratching is a natural instinct for cats (and is also a form of exercise
for them). I have never found it difficult to train a cat to use scratching
posts and have not even needed Soft Paws. First, you should have *several*
scratching posts available in various parts of the house -- don't expect
your cat to go "looking" for one. I have one in every room except the
bathrooms. Scratching posts should be very stable because a cat may become
frightened if one topples over and then may refuse to use it. Pet Smart has
a very tall one available that has both sisal and carpeting. It also has an
extended L-shaped base, which adds to the stability. You may want to
experiement with various types of coverings. Some cats prefer carpeting,
some sisal, some like corrugated cardboard. All of my cats have shown a
preference for vertical (upright) surfaces, but some cats like horizontal or
sloped surfaces.

Each of my cats learned to use the scratching post almost exclusively within
just a few days (even including Duffy, my blind cat, who was approximately 4
years old when I adopted him and had never been trained to a post). I
watched the cats *very* closely the first few days after adoption. Any time
the cat started to claw anything else, I would say "no" (firmly, but not
shouting). Then I would move to a scratching post and tap it or scratch it
with my fingernails to attract the cat's attention. When the cat would
approach, I would praise lavishly even if he/she only picked slightly at the
surface. Soon, they got the idea that this was "a good thing," and they
would scratch vigorously any time I tapped the post and called to them.
Sometimes I would draw a string (with small toy or even a piece of fabric
attached) up and down the post. The cat would follow in play but would
invariably begin scratching the surface. Then the praise would begin again.
All of this required close attention for a few days, but after that I had no
problems. I *never* resorted to yelling, water pistols, or other forms of
punishment. Positive reinforcement always worked well, and it has the added
benefit of contributing to a loving relationship between cat and hoomin.

A good, tall, sturdy cat tree/condo would be a very worthwhile investment
(or one can be made for very little cost if you are "handy" with tools).
This will give the cat fun and exercise, and I am sure you will find it
delightful to watch. I have one post on mine covered with sisal, so that
serves as a scratching post. The others are carpeted. The carpeting would
not even be needed for most cats, but it is essential for Duffy, my blind
cat, because he uses it for traction as he climbs up and down.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old May 10th 05, 07:14 AM
Brad

On Sat, 7 May 2005 09:58:11 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Mary those first few days if you had to leave the house did you put
them in a crate or did you leave them out and hope for the best....??

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old May 10th 05, 09:20 AM
MaryL

-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I did not make any special arrangements even when I had to leave them alone
during the first few days. The exception was Duffy, but it had nothing to
do with scratching posts in his case. I needed to give Duffy time to get
accustomed to the house, and I took a very slow, gradual approach in
introducting Duffy to Holly (which many of you have read about on this NG).
Therefore, he was in a single bedroom during that time.

MaryL